Recommendations for books on basic craft techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for books on basic craft techniques

Has anyone got any recommendations for books which cover a variety of basic craft techniques?

I was given this A-Z of crafts as a pressie. Its a Martha Stewart encyclopaedia of crafts and it covers lots of different crafts with instructions on how to make a variety of projects. Not sure if its the sort of thing that would appeal but I really like it. The link takes you to Amazon site where you can 'look inside' the book/get details.

Comment

Thank-you that looks like the sort of thing. It's the 'detailed instructions' I'm particularly looking for. Often when I find a project online the instructions are quite vague and assume you know the basics. So I really am looking for an 'idiot's guide' :-)

Comment

Maybe have a look at my suggestion, 4th one down, Papercutting/ paper sculpture, which is step by step in photo's. I had never done any paper sculpture but the hummingbird sculpture project was the first one I ever did plus other projects in the book, all pretty easy but good results plus you get the hang of different things outside of the ordinary. The book on the shelf in Hobbycraft and you can "Look inside" on Amazon.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dDave View Post
          Maybe have a look at my suggestion, 4th one down, Papercutting/ paper sculpture, which is step by step in photo's. I had never done any paper sculpture but the hummingbird sculpture project was the first one I ever did plus other projects in the book, all pretty easy but good results plus you get the hang of different things outside of the ordinary. The book on the shelf in Hobbycraft and you can "Look inside" on Amazon.

Dave.
          That looks like a fabulous book, Dave. Thank-you for the recommendation. I love book art where artists have created 3D structures coming out of books and I think this book could give me ideas for techniques to use.

I also bought a packet of chinese paper cuts recently - produced in the 1970s - beautiful delicate pictures that I hardly dare pick up they are so fragile, and I was wondering what techniques were used. So again I think this book could help.

Comment

Usually all paper cuts, even the super fine intricate ones are done by scalpel (I use an x-acto knife or a knucklecutter for fine work) or scissors....and a lot of patience. As long as the blade is super sharp, and I will get through 5+ blades a cut design to make sure nothing pulls. Have a look at papernoodle.com because the authors work is on that site.

Dave.

Comment

Working...
            X