Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ill equipped outside stall holders

Hi all, Rant time!

We did two outside events over the weekend and both were 'bring your own gazebo' type events. Saturday was dry, sunny but with a gusty wind and Sunday started with a 30 mins torrential downpour followed by a dry day but again with a gusty wind. These conditions were well forecast and prevailing when we left home. Between the two days we must have helped at least 6 other traders with their gazebos who had turned up without pegs, guys or hammer. Four of the gazebos were just placed on the ground and were off down the site as soon as the wind started gusting, one stallholder was hanging on to his gazebo while his wife wandered round the site trying to borrow a hammer and on Sunday two girls opposite us were trying to put pegs into the rock hard ground with their feet whilst only wearing flip flops!

When we bought our gazebo (which we regarded as a business investment not an expense) we also upgraded to heavy duty pegs for legs and sides plus ratchet storm guys anchored on 15" pegs made from builders reinforcing ironwork. We also take a toolbox containing spares of most things plus hammers and a selection of other tools. Perhaps sometimes people might think our precautions a little excessive but as a consequence we have never had a problem even in very strong winds in springtime.

I'm sure most experienced trader crafters go well prepared but please anyone who takes a gazebo out (and remember a Garden gazebo is that - a GARDEN gazebo!) please assume it will need restraining and tying down and go prepared. Losing your stock and gazebo can be very frustrating and annoying as most of the above crafters discovered over the weekend.

Apologies, rant over, now to close up the greenhouse.

David
    www.panachegifts.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Panach...60271863992797

Twitter @PanacheGifts

Point made but you learn from experience. We realised quite quickly that we had to upgrade to a commercial quality gazebo although our first one was not the cheap garden type and it did last us a couple of years, it did eventually disintegrate. Biggest problem is we do a fair few events on hard standing and as much as you try to weigh it down it will still slide along the ground in heavy winds.

Mo.XX
    Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    www.bodrighy.co.uk
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Flying gazebos

Weights, weights & more weights. They're #essential when trading outdoors. Or even INDOORS if one's by a doorway & someone suddenly opens the doors wide when it's gusty. Our whole display blew over recently under such circumstances. Bystanders rallied round. Bless 'em. #Wartimespirit.
      .Grenville Allen.
      -------f i n e a r t i s t-----
      www.grenvilleallen.com
      Twitter~Facebook~Blog

Comment

Having seen 1 death caused by a "flying" gazebo at one event - it was council owned and erected by council - and 3 cars badly marked/dented at another event caused by a flying gazebo - I can only agree with David.

Our weights are cast iron and cost us £500 - remember, an insurance company will not pay up for damage done by a stall flying in bad weather - just not worth the risk of not securing down properly?

Jane
        Last edited by greannancrafts; 14-07-2015, 09:53 AM.
        www.just-soaps.com
        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

At events/festivals where we are allowed to keep our vehicles on site, we ratchet strap the gazebos to the vehicles and also to each other. We also use huge weights on the legs.
          Daesul

http://www.clairemanwani.com
          http://www.folksy.com/shops/clairemanwani
          http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ClaireManwaniPottery

Comment

Just click on: https://twitter.com/grenvilleallen/s...17365025628160 to see my tweet about unwanted demolition!
            .Grenville Allen.
            www.grenvilleallen.com
            Twitter~Facebook~Blog

Comment

Originally posted by grenville allen View Post
              Just click on: https://twitter.com/grenvilleallen/s...17365025628160 to see my tweet about unwanted demolition!

At least no one was hurt?
              www.just-soaps.com
              Twitter JUSTSOAPS
              Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Ur so right! I've seen a gazebo fly at a mother & child at Squerryes Court. Just a glancing blow & they didn't complain. Fortunately.

Btw follow each other on Twitter?
                .Grenville Allen.
                www.grenvilleallen.com
                Twitter~Facebook~Blog

Comment

Garden gazebo's are in my humble opinion, useless! we were out in the weather on the days you mentioned. Our group only had two canvas tents and a canvas awning up, we storm guyed everything and knocked in some 14 inch wooden pegs to be on the safe side about 10 of them if I remember. Nothing moved although we did have to stop casting as a sudden downpour came from the wrong direction and wet the moulds.
                  Casting pewter..in a field near you.

Comment

I sold my gazebo a couple of weeks ago as British weather is one of the reasons I no longer do outdoor events unless they are in a marquee! I can't take the risk of my stuff getting wet (or even damp) and people don't come when it's pouring and blowing a hooly - and I don't blame them, I wouldn't go out either!

Comment

I will not even attempt outdoor events as know do not have the right gear and too tight to buy it plus know that British weather and fabrics to not mix well as knowing my luck being light, one puff of wind and they would be off on their travels.

Comment

Trust me, soap and wet weather do not mix.

However, if the correct stall is used, outside events can be very good, in nearly 10 years, often doing 50+ outside events per anum - we have only lost some stock once due to rain and once had to pack away early due to rain/wind.

Think of market stall traders, they have to make it work

It is all about being prepared and making an investment

Jane
                        www.just-soaps.com
                        Twitter JUSTSOAPS

Comment

I've just been reading in the local press about a gazebo that blew 100 metres across the Malvern Three Counties Showground last weekend. Press reports that gusty winds caused it to come adrift and hit 10 people, 5 needed hospital attention and three suffered broken bones. Hate to think what the insurance claim for this could be!

Totally agree with you Jane that with a proper gazebo properly secured all should be fine.

David
                          www.panachegifts.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Panach...60271863992797

Twitter @PanacheGifts

Comment

Originally posted by rosecottage View Post
                            I've just been reading in the local press about a gazebo that blew 100 metres across the Malvern Three Counties Showground last weekend. Press reports that gusty winds caused it to come adrift and hit 10 people, 5 needed hospital attention and three suffered broken bones. Hate to think what the insurance claim for this could be!

Totally agree with you Jane that with a proper gazebo properly secured all should be fine.

David
                            I very much doubt that any insurance company will pay up, unless it can be proved that the gazebo was well and truly anchored down - which it doesn't sound as though it was?

So no insurance - the gazebo owner will have to pay up.

I remember at a Farmers Market - it was blowing a strong gale. I started to pack away - the manager came round and told me that I couldn't pack up and must stay until the end -

I responded "Ok, I will only stay IF you put it in writing that I must stay!"

He asked "why"

I responded " If there is an accident any claim then it fall on your insurance and not on me"

Jane
                            www.just-soaps.com
                            Twitter JUSTSOAPS

Comment

Working...
                            X