How do these fair costs sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do these fair costs sound?

I'm just trying to get some fairs booked in Lancs or W Yorks-ish, can I run some of these venues I'm considering & the costs by you, see what your thoughts and/or experiences are of them?

Reebok Stadium nr Bolton charging £42 for 1 day 6ft stall (£75 2 days)
    Stapeley Water Gardens Nantwich £75 6ft 2 days
    Lowther Pavilliion Lytham £68 6ft 2 days
    Barnard Castle Witham Hall £35 6ft 1 day
    Guisborough Hall Hotel £35 6ft 1 day
    Ripley town hall £35 6ft 1 day
    National Coal Mining Museum Wakefield £29 6ft (certainly might try this one, anyone been there, pics of venue look nice)

Thanks everyone - by the way, found the contacts for all these & more through this link
    http://www.craft-fair.co.uk/Diary.cfm

Shaz x
    Keepsake Kollections
    & Rossendale Ramblings!
    http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Hi
    I did the Coal Mining Museum around April last year - took the grand total of £27 - BUT handed out leaflets regarding workshops I do, and got a lady who has come back 2 or 3 times and brings her friends too. So, sales poor, but overall end result pretty good. However, I have decided I will not be going back this year because of the poor sales. I was not over impressed with their advertising. The people who came through the door seemed not to have known beforehand that a craft fair was on, so did not come prepared to spend.

Hope this is the sort of feedback you wanted

Mary
    Mary
    www.somata.co.uk
    www.stitchnglass.co.uk
    www.gemstoneboutique.co.uk
    www.somata-pmc.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for that Mary and, yes, it is useful thank you. Ive only done one local fair before & really enjoyed it, hence trying to fill my diary as much as poss this year - but with no hands-on experience of the venues, I can only work off costs & travelling distances without your additional feedback so it is appreciated

So far, I havent made any items to sell on the day, my stuff's all made to order using the customer's own photographs in the designs so my main aim is to have my work seen and get my leaflets and offers out there & to collect names I can go back to...here's hoping for a good year!

All the best
      Shaz x
      Keepsake Kollections
      & Rossendale Ramblings!
      http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

i did the yorkshire mining museum ones all last year, broke even at each which is ok, but i think its to isolated and the market isnt there. the market value for sales is aimed at kids and pocket money. only on the last fair did i see signs from wakefield and this year the fee is to much for the venue in my opinion.

Im booked in with sandra fo 28 shows this year reebok, the water gardens, the garden centres etc, i did my research last yeaar. i check out all her shows. spoke directly with sandra on several occasions and all being well it will be a good year. i went to lytham today to look. The temp was -2 the stalls looked professional and the layout was good i was impressed.

One thing though. And this is for all crafters. If i walk past your stall and i cant see you then i wont buy. If i walk past your stall and you look bored then i wont by. I was taught early on in this game respect your customers, stand up at all times no matter how tiring and treat your customers with respect. Sorry i just got a little annoyed today. I wanted to buy a few items but i couldnt see the ladies as they were sat down hidden behind the stall playing games or reading papers.

Comment

Im booked in with sandra fo 28 shows this year reebok, the water gardens, the garden centres etc, i did my research last yeaar. i check out all her shows. spoke directly with sandra on several occasions and all being well it will be a good year. i went to lytham today to look. The temp was -2 the stalls looked professional and the layout was good i was impressed.

Who is sandra? I agree it is very annoying when people are sat down reading or doing crosswords or something like that. Although I do like to see people making things while they're there. It kind of shows that they deffinetly have made the things themselves and reassures me somewhat!
          I like to make things - usually a mess!
          Please look at my stuff and let me know what you think!
          http://elephantfrills.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Laura,

Sandra is creative craft association. Google creative crafts association uk and you will find, she also puts shows on the craft fair diary site. We cant make stuff at the shows unfortunately as we do photos. But i must admit i do like seeing card makers and candle makers working at shows as do i like the wood turners

Comment

yeah i can see how that would be kind of hard for you! Thanks for that tip though! I think I might have emailed her before but ill give it a look now. Your a star x
              I like to make things - usually a mess!
              Please look at my stuff and let me know what you think!
              http://elephantfrills.blogspot.com/

Comment

"I was not over impressed with their advertising. The people who came through the door seemed not to have known beforehand that a craft fair was on, so did not come prepared to spend" MARY - SOMATA

As the organiser of these events I feel I need to justify your comments as I find them innaccurate.

Firstly know your market, do your research, obviously people have to drive to this venue, as it's 6 miles in any direction from any major town. If you sell good that are too expensive or poorly made people will not buy, they are quite savvy in Yorkshire (if not thrifty)

Secondly the Local Authority fine ANYONE who puts out posters to advertise any entertainment event as this is seen as fly tipping

Our regularly returning exhibitors regularly take over £100 per day because they have done their research and know the market.

They exhibit because the venue is indoors, it's bright clean and airy with air conditioning. It offers free parking and free entry. A cafe, toilet facilities right outside the exhibition room and most of all because it's a relaxed friendly environment

The fact that Public Liability Insurance is included in the price is also an incentive to stand as the exhibitors don't have to fork out on an annual insuarance policy.

We do an extraordinary amount of advertising and unlike most fairs operate on a not for profit basis, so most of the money taken in stall fees goes back into the advertising and publicity of the events, obviously don't read;

The Yorkshire Post
                Northern Life Magazine
                Wakefield Express
                Pontefract and Castleford Express
                Wakefield Guardian
                Ponte & Cas Guardian
                Bradford Telegraph and Argus
                Barnsley Chronicle
                Huddersfield Examiner
                Huddersfield Chronicle
                Leeds Weekly News

and you obviosuly didn't notice the 12ft X 4ft banner outside the museum

Didn't pick up one of 500 leaflets from reception, which other visitors take on a regular basis

Didn't you look on the internet at sites like stallfinder, ukfayres, the daily telegraph, county calendar, dig yorkshire, 5 west yorkshire local authority sites and not to mention the Yorkshire Tourist Boards on website.

Not to mention the £5000 the National Coal Mining Museum spend on advertising over our fair periods.

In March 2008 (at Easter) during heavy snow we had 3500 visitors over 3 days. Not Bad for no advertising

PHOTO REQUEST FROM BOLTON - Don't book stands and then not turn up organisers don't like this!

Comment

Cannot comment on theses fairs as have never been. This year I will not book any fair over £20.00 for the day. After last year (and this will be worse), I lost overall and can no longer justify the time and cost of travel plus the time spent on the day.

Re comment about standing up, I demonstrate so this would not be feasible but have found that by doing this, it keeps me occupied if things are slow, plus customers like to see that you can make the items you are selling. I think this adds a personal touch which you would not find in the shops.

Having an open house at home and using the internet this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroleecrafts View Post
                    Cannot comment on theses fairs as have never been. This year I will not book any fair over £20.00 for the day. After last year (and this will be worse), I lost overall and can no longer justify the time and cost of travel plus the time spent on the day.

Re comment about standing up, I demonstrate so this would not be feasible but have found that by doing this, it keeps me occupied if things are slow, plus customers like to see that you can make the items you are selling. I think this adds a personal touch which you would not find in the shops.

Having an open house at home and using the internet this year.

I have to agree here,I also make items at craft fairs and many people love to stop and watch and I get some lovely comments,personally somebody jumping up everytime I look at a stall would put me off,I like to feel I can browse without being under pressure and although I stand up for the majority of my buyers I don't stand up for every browser, but I do greet everybody with a smile and have a chat to those who want to.

Everybody has their own selling technique and work out through trial and error what works best.
                    Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes CAN change your life !!

my website http://www.ticketyboo-jewellery.co.uk
                    my misi shop http://ticketyboo.misi.me.uk
                    my blog http://ticketyboojewellery.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi

Ive been doing fairs with Sandra (creative craft association) for 3-4 years now and found they good.

I make cards and I do cut out and do my decoupage whilst I am at the shows and as said previously people like seeing how they start out.

Im doing the following shows -
                      Bridgemere garden centre
                      Lowery Salford Keys
                      Dobbies garden centre Southport
                      Reebox staduim Bolton

and few more ..... so mite see some of later in the year x
                      www.cardsforewe.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X