Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craft Fair 'Etiquette'

Hi all,

I'm hoping to be taking part in my first craft fair soon, and I've found loads of useful info in the 'tips' post - I hadn't thought about paper bags but have actually ordered some now

I have a couple more questions, which may seem a bit silly but anyhow here goes...

1. It is OK to ask someone on a neighbouring stand to keep an eye out for a few minutes while I go and get a coffee / go to the loo? Or should I try to rope in a friend to come and help?

2. Do people expect a receipt when they are buying at a craft fair (I sell jewellery). I've got no problems writing a receipt out for people, I just didn't know if they would expect one.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my daft Q's

Claire
    Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
    Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
    www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Hi.
    I always work with a friend so that we both get to take breaks - eat drink and snoop around at the opposition! However I have been asked by others to keep an eye on their stand and I am more than happy to do so. If I can't actually make a sale on their behalf I can at least occupy the customer and stall them til the stallholder gets back. Good luck.
    www.littlebead.blogspot.com
    www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

I have usually done fairs on my own, and my neighbours have seemed happy to watch my stall (and me theirs), there is always someone friendly around who will help out, although in my experience there is always at least one 'lull' in which you won't have to worry too much about leaving your stall!! (Take something to do for these times!)
      I have never given a receipt but always tell the buyer where to find me online anyway, so they could always contact me if they had a problem (no one ever has), but some have followed up to order from me online so thats worth doing anyway!
      www.truebloom.blogspot.com
      www.truebloom.co.uk
      My Etsy Shop

Comment

I was on my own for the first one i did. Get to know the stall people around you and they will usually look after your stall while you nip somewhere. But dont go to far or for to long as it's s**s law that someone will come and ask questions or try and buy something. As for a receipt just keep a little note pad with you and if anyone asks write one quickly. Never had to do one yet.

If you do take a friend make sure they know some of your history and a bit about the products. Theres nothing worse than a person asking a question and they say "I dont know!" .... bye bye person. Also price everything or have a price list for them.

Good luck anyway, im sure youll be fine.
        x Maria

Website
        Blogging
        Facebook
        Flickr

Comment

I agree that other stall holders are normally really friendly and will always step in to 'hold the fort' but there are normally quiet times anyway when you can nip off to grab a drink etc.
          I usually take business cards with me & if anyone wants a receipt, I'd write it on the back of them (it's very rare, I think I've only written 1)
          Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

Hi Claire

The organisers may be able to help with covering you stall. We have two family members coming to help serving refreshments and also to be available to cover stalls to give everyone a chance to take a break.

Jo

Comment

The only fair I have done so far was only 3 hours so didn't actually need to 'go'! but I got chatting with the two ladies on the stall next to mine and I'm pretty sure they would have stood in for me. I hope this is the case on Sunday when I do my 2nd ever fair and hubby is dropping me off and picking me up later so I will be on my own most of the time. Selina

Comment

The business card idea is good - that way the customer has a record of the sale and your contact details. I haven't personally given out receipts at fairs but always put in a business card with a purchase.

I would suggest taking something (like a note book for example) to record what you sell and how much for. Hope this helps and good luck with the fair!!!
                Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

I agree, at most craft fairs your neighbours are usually friendly, and willing to cover the stand for you.

And rarely does someone ask for a receipt. If they do a business card with the amount on the back usually does the trick.

Good luck with your first fair

Debbie
                  www.beadservice.net
                  On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

I always offer people a receipt - I think (but don't quote me on this) that legally I have to but this could be because I'm a registered company. No body has taken me up on the offer at a craft fair but I always include one when I send out parcels. I use a with compliments slip that has our contact details and vat number etc on it.
                    I wouldn't worry about nipping off to the loo either - most people will watch your stall for you as long as you don't mind doing the same for them.
                    Good luck with the fair!
                    Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
                    My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
                    My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice everyone, I feel better knowing I won't have to sit there with my legs crossed all day!

I'm really looking forward to the fair, even though I feel a bit nervous. Thanks also Jo for letting me know about the extra help at the fair - have you received my booking form in the post yet?

On a good note, I'm really happy today as I took a few pieces of jewellery into work and have already sold a bracelet and a pair of earrings this morning, booked 2 parties and taken 3 advance orders for comissions
                      Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
                      Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
                      www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

Originally posted by ladyluckjewellery View Post
                        I'm really looking forward to the fair, even though I feel a bit nervous. Thanks also Jo for letting me know about the extra help at the fair - have you received my booking form in the post yet?

On a good note, I'm really happy today as I took a few pieces of jewellery into work and have already sold a bracelet and a pair of earrings this morning, booked 2 parties and taken 3 advance orders for comissions
                        Claire

Congratulations on the sales and party bookings.

I have your booking form and have confirmed you space by email this morning.

Look forward to meeting you at Turvey.

Jo

Comment

Working...
                        X