Derbyshire Fairs? any good ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derbyshire Fairs? any good ones

Is there any decent craft or gift fairs around Derbyshire or south Yorkshire that anyone can recommend. I had bad experience with several a couple of years ago, Just not really what i would call crafty enough!! I am now ready to go again as i really want my business to take off. Any help or details would be really great.

Thanks
    jen

You really need to go and visit fairs yourself to see if they would be a good 'fit' for what you sell.

As a general rule, any event that uses the word 'gift' in its name or description - unless the word 'gift' is very closely associated with the words 'hand-made', 'locally-crafted' or similar, is likely to be less 'crafty' than a 'pure' craft fair.

However, a 'craft fair' can encompass imported goods in the eyes of some organisers and sellers ...

Some people rely on terms such as 'makers markets' or 'artisan markets' as a guide that it is an actual craft market with makers selling their items, but it's no guarantee.

You need to ask the organiser - but they are not always honest and up-front and THAT is my bugbear.

Comment

Thanks, yes i think i will visit several first. They do tend to stretch the word "craft" dont they. I only really want to do it to promote my curtain making and sewing workshops. So they need to be the right kind of thing. I will also check out your blog. Jen

Comment

Originally posted by Winneyandrose View Post
        I only really want to do it to promote my curtain making and sewing workshops. So they need to be the right kind of thing.
        Hmmm I wonder if a craft fair would be the right sort of place ... sewing workshops seem to do well promoted locally in sewing shops and on shop noticeboards; I've never seen one being promoted at a craft fair, although when giving demos in conjunction with a fair (on my 1803 handcrank) I am often asked if I 'give lessons'!

I do have a friend who runs a thriving sewing school which started one afternoon and one evening a week in church hall and after a year she has more demand for classes than she ever dreamed of! She advertised locally and in the surrounding towns within about a 5 mile radius, and especially in and around secondary schools.

Comment

Working...
        X