First fair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First fair

I did my first tabletop sale on Saturday and sold.... absolutely nothing! I'm not disappointed though as it was more of a bric a brac sale in a church hall and exactly as I'd imagined, the only reason I did it was because I was bursting to get out there and sit behind a table with my jewellery on it.

There was a woman there selling beautiful handpainted glasses and she sold nothing either (although had I thought I could have got them home safely I would have bought some) and lots of other stallholders also went home disappointed.

Still, later on that evening, I had my very first "proper" (i.e. not to a friend or colleague) sale through my website!
    Spider Spiral Handcrafted Jewellery
    www.spiderspiral.co.uk

Don't let that first experience get you down. It is rewarding to sit out behind a table of your own creations where people can at least see what you've done. I've got some events coming up that I really hope go well in terms of sales as the extra money will come in useful for Christmas.

Best of luck for the next fair and many more online sales!

Si.
    Wood Tattoos
    Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
    Facebook
    Flickr
    Twitter

Comment

Thanks Si

In fact, the only thing that disappointed me was that only about two people actually looked at my jewellery, it was like people were too scared to come over and touch it or something. Or maybe they just assumed it would be too expensive as they were only there to buy stuff that cost 20p?

I'm having a stall at the Christmas Without Cruelty fayre in Kensington on 2 December, so fingers crossed I have better luck then!
      www.spiderspiral.co.uk

Comment

I agree with Si dont let this put you off. It is really hard for all us just now.
        Even people who have down fairs for years are saying how quite it is.

Good luck with your next fair and hopfully you will get loads more intrest.

Cheers Janice
        www.freewebs.com/clipclophorseshoes

Comment

Shame that hardly anyone looked at your work. At least if sales are slow, the occasional person who takes a real interest in your work and looks at lots of items to ask questions about what/why/how you make them can make you feel important for a while...

(... before they get spooked by your eerie stare which is actually an attempt to telepathically compel them to turn their compliments into putting their hands in their wallets/purses...)

Si.
          Wood Tattoos
          Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
          Facebook
          Flickr
          Twitter

Comment

I would have liked people to take an interest but never mind, next time...

I don't think the average age of people there were quite my market. The next one should be busy and have a good mix of people.
            www.spiderspiral.co.uk

Comment

Good luck for the next one - hope those visitors will be people who appreciate your work!

Comment

Good luck on the next one. Oddly enough, the last but one fair I did, it was the jewellery that went very well. Some of it she had made herself and some of it was bought-in. Her own jewellery was very pretty, and reasonably priced: I'm not certain if it was sterling silver or not though. I dodn't dare look or else I'd have spent, you see.
                Primmers
                www.ExquisiteCards.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                X