Craft Fairs ~ *Top Tips*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craft Fairs ~ *Top Tips*

Can you help me get ready for my 1st fair/market.

Post your Top Tips for doing a fair....

Things to do the night before (days before?) to prepare?
    What you always take? Coudln't do without?
    Things you always forget and wish you'd taken? etc etc

I know different crafts will vary, but I'm just looking for general guidance

THANKS guys x x x
    incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
    ___

I pack everything the night before. I put all the items for display on the stall in the same boxes, then have another box with spares should I sell a certain colour or design (not that I ever need the spares - sob!!!).

Maybe make a list of everything you need to take?

I have a log book to record my sales, order forms should anyone want something made to order, business cards, leaflets.

And most importantly, remember your food and drink supplies!!!!
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Here's my list:

Make sure everything is priced
      Make sure you have plenty of change
      Coffee or your poison of choice
      Pen
      A book to write in
      Somewhere safe to put the money
      Something to do if it gets quiet - NOT read a book, but I take some beading to do - people get curious and you (sometimes) can get quite busy again

I'm sure other people will have lots of different stuff, but those are the things on my Don't Forget list.
      Mary
      www.somata.co.uk
      www.stitchnglass.co.uk
      www.gemstoneboutique.co.uk
      www.somata-pmc.co.uk

Comment

Calculator - you never know! Bags to put your goodies into. I took an apron to put my money in. I took some sewing to do during the quieter moments - I'd finished it by lunchtime!!
        Take something to add height to your stall - mine was very flat. Erm I'm sure I'll think of something else later
        Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
        My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
        My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Plenty of change - because you are guaranteed your first sale will be for 50p and they want to pay with a £20!!!

Nice cloth to cover the table doesn't have to be anything fancy cause fussy patterns will take away from what you have on the table. I use a big plain coloured cloth that covers the table right to the ground on all sides - this covers all the bumph you have under there. Then I put a smaller brighter table cover on the top of the table. Cause it is Christmas a few Christmas decs too.

Take plenty of food with you because no point in eating your profits (literally) and a nice flask of something warm to keep you going. I make a big flask of home made soup and take a coffee flask too - gets really cold so at least feel a little bit warmer.

Really really thick socks (particularly if you are out doors - even indoors it gets cold standing about).

I find people are very nosey so if you are actually doing some sewing or something they will come up and have a looky so I would always do something - pity I can't melt wax a make my candles when I am at fairs but at least I can get caught up on making labels, tags etc.

If I think of anything else I will post later - too early in the morning.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
          Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
          www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks guys thats FAB! Keep em coming!!

Swirly~ Do you use paper bags? If so do you know of a cheap supplier? Was thinking of taking tissue paper to wrap items, but bags would be better
            incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
            ___

Comment

Sam do you have a Country Baskets anywhere near you? They are in Leeds, Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow that's where I get my paper bags and they are really cheap.

If not ebay has loads of paper bags.

Cheers.

Lisa
              Bowed Over
              Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
              www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

I also use paper bags - like curry takeaway ones and get them from www.kaleidoscope-supplies.co.uk - they are quick to send too. I'm thinking of using just ordinary brown paper bags too for smaller purchases (I also sell die cuts) as it will then help with costs. I print a small label off with my logo and website and pritt stick it onto the front of the bags.

I agree with Swirly - a calculator is a must!!!

Comment

A chair or a stool it can be a long old day standing up all day

I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It

Comment

best advise I've ever been given is to set out your stall, at home, a week before the event. Take your time and make it look fantastic- then make sure everythings priced, clean, and safe (not going to fall over if someone breathes on it) and pack it all away! when you put it out at the show you'll know where everything is and where it should go. You'll be set up in record time and completely un-stressed. Second best advise? Keep smiling!!!

Oh, and thank you to Tiptop, just checked out kaleidoscope- much cheaper than the bags i'm getting at the mo- time to change supplier!!
                    Last edited by littledragon; 10-11-2007, 12:39 AM.

Comment

If you have a makro near you then that's where I get my paper bags from - it's a cash and carry so you do have to be registered there but as most of us could provide business paperwork then it shouldn't be a problem!
                      Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
                      My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
                      My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Originally posted by swirlyarts View Post
                        If you have a makro near you then that's where I get my paper bags from - it's a cash and carry so you do have to be registered there but as most of us could provide business paperwork then it shouldn't be a problem!
                        It's what I'm thinking too as p&p from Kaladascope is £6, but then again I get all the cello bags & envelopes from there too........ hmmmm!

Comment

Top tips

As someone who has been in the craft circuit for over 20 years (married to a professional craftsman) despite all of your preparation for attending the fairs, you cannot prepare for the quality of the event.
                          To all you new crafts people out there my advice is to do your homework and visit many events before making any quick decisions.
                          1- If there are still spaces available a few weeks before the fair - walk away, by this time if it's any good the event will have been filled long ago.
                          2- Consider the cost and size of the fair, if too cheap what money will the organiser have left for proper advertising - simple math.
                          3- Ask the organiser about duplicate crafts if more than 3 at a small fair - walk away.
                          4 - Keep your craft pure and of good quality, Don't fill your table with any thing. It's better to have a few quality items properly displayed than filled with mixed tat.
                          5 - Remember you are the organisers customer - they should work for you.
                          6 - And yes we had 3p's in the 1980's to!
                          If you stick to your guns quality will out!
                          Woodenlady

Comment

*Top Tips*

Lots of really good ideas here. I agree totally about the list - I prepared one for my initial show and put it on the computer, then I could update it as I thought of other things I needed. I then only have to tick the boxes as I prepare and know that all is ready.
                            Cynthia
                            http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Make sure you know exactly where the venue is and check out the parking. Arrive in plenty of time so that you can take your time setting up. Other than that take coffee, snacks ad more coffee!!!
                              Good luck.
                              www.littlebead.blogspot.com
                              www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

Working...
                              X