Well.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well.....

I'll bet your all dying to hear how the craft fair went! I made the grand total of

£8.50!!! Woweeee!!

Quite a few people looked at my stuff and I didn't have any negative comments - in fact quite a few positive comments but people just didn't part with their cash!!

Oh well - live and learn. Good job that it wasn't my first big crafty venture as I would have packed it in I think! Better get sewing chickens for my wholesale order now
    Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
    My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
    My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Don't be too disheartened.
    It seems as though craft fairs are going this way now. lots of browsers with their wallets tight shut!
    As long as you enjoyed yourself.
    This is why I'd always tell people who are doing their first few craft fairs to use as much stuff from home as possible rather than buying in posh new display stuff.
    I'd imagine that most people at the fair would have been in the same boat.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Hi,

I was there today as well doing Usborne books and it was the same for me,
      All fairs are the same at the mo, you never know in a few weeks they might realise christmas is coming!!!

Claire

Comment

Originally posted by claire.rogers22 View Post
        Hi,

I was there today as well doing Usborne books and it was the same for me,
        All fairs are the same at the mo, you never know in a few weeks they might realise christmas is coming!!!

Claire
        Ah - I was the lady in glasses and pink apron - I parked next to you! Small world!!

Comment

Oh no, and here's me working my fingers to the bone building up stock for my first craft fair next Saturday.......boooo hooooo

sorry it was not great for you, but great to hear about your wholesale order!

Pauline
          Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

Dont take it personally - seems there is a general negative trend for sales in all sorts of retail sectors (I believe even Tescos have reported lower than expected sales recently !) .

Mel

Comment

p.s. - congrats on the wholesale order !
              Mel

Comment

Originally posted by BeadsbyLili View Post
                Dont take it personally - seems there is a general negative trend for sales in all sorts of retail sectors (I believe even Tescos have reported lower than expected sales recently !) .

I think this is true, except I can't have any sympathy for Tesco!! From my experience of craft fairs people are generous with their comments but not so much with their cash. It is such a let down though after all the hard work which is put in, many people don't appreciate that.
                Amanda
                xx

Comment

Sorry about that, it is so disheartening you work soooo very hard to get stock, get your display just right and then humph all your stuff to the venue and then have to humph all the bloody stuff back home cause nobody was buying. I was at a craft fair on Saturday, it was very very quiet but I did okay (well at least I covered the cost of my table this time which for this year I am counting as doing okay. Not made my table money back on more fairs than I have made it).

It was my Christmassy smelling stuff that went so will be concentrating on that, but most people doing the fair hadn't really done anything Christmassy yet and I think that was where I stood out, I had the table decorated up as I would for a Christmas Fair (cause I was really targeting some early Christmas sales) and it seemed to work.

There is always the next fair (well I keep saying that anyway).

Good luck on the wholesale order.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
                  Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                  www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Just had a thought - maybe people no longer see craft 'fairs' as selling venues? Artists and craftspeople are notoriously bad at selling their own stuff, maybe it's time organisers played more on the 'sales' part of it rather than the pretty venue and demonstration part. I do not like the american hard sell, but the british soft sell isn't working either, instead of organisers promoting the venue maybe they should promote exhibitor sales, I know it's in their interest for the exhibitor to sell - or they won't come back - but a bit more of the 'this is the best designer we've ever had and look at the prices!' may be needed. It may put table prices up a bit, but it's not a lot to pay for an agent if they get it right.

Comment

how disapoining for you....and here's me with two weeks to go, worrying about getting insurance, and if i've got enough things to sell, i was up late again last night making things. Now i'm wondering what for.

but i will take advise from your replies, and make some more christmas stuff to calm my nerves in these last few days....that and lots of coffee !!! (de caff...and with friends!!!)

Comment

I'm not as disheartened as I would have been if it had been my first venture into selling my work. At least I know my work is good (through other venues) and that people do want it - just not in Salford obviously!! The people that were there seemed to be looking for more traditional crafty goods - the woman opposite who had knitted toys (among other things) did really well. I had a quick look round and it did seem to me that lots of people had underpriced their stuff - maybe that's where I went wrong but I'm not going to lower my prices yet!

Comment

Originally posted by swirlyarts View Post
                          I'm not as disheartened as I would have been if it had been my first venture into selling my work. At least I know my work is good (through other venues) and that people do want it - just not in Salford obviously!! The people that were there seemed to be looking for more traditional crafty goods - the woman opposite who had knitted toys (among other things) did really well. I had a quick look round and it did seem to me that lots of people had underpriced their stuff - maybe that's where I went wrong but I'm not going to lower my prices yet!

too right!
                          I have found at various craft fairs that the prices are either realistic or far too low. I've asked one or two of the lower priced vendors why it is so low when they are obviously making very little proffit (if any at all) the response is usually "well it's a hobby, I just enjoy making it." or "I don't like to sell it expensive or people won't buy it"
                          Neither of those types of sellers are helping the craft world to flourish. They let buyers associate cheep goods with handcrafted goods.
                          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by swirlyarts View Post
                            I had a quick look round and it did seem to me that lots of people had underpriced their stuff - maybe that's where I went wrong but I'm not going to lower my prices yet!
                            Pricing really bugs me. The whole point of me setting up was because I wasn't happy with the quailty and price of jewellery in the shops, so I made my own, and I keep my prices as low as possible without doing myself out of money. But then I get people coming up giving it '£4 - is that right?' for earrings that don't cost much to make, and others that will go '£4 - thats a bit steep'.

I wouldn't adjust your prices Swirly, if they're similar to what I've seen on your etsy page, than I think you're undercharging anyway. (must remember to order a Chicken)

Carol
                            Sparklez.co.uk
                            Handmade Jewellery

Comment

If only we earnt £1 for every time we received a compliment on our work at shows, we'd all be a lot better off! At the two very different events I've done, I've had people looking at my work for ages, coming back a few times, asking numerous questions and complimenting the pieces very favourably. But unfortunately, they don't always want to put their hands in their pockets for it!

Having said that, I would rather meet those people at the craft fairs than the ones who glance over every stall for a total of about a second each before marching straight back out the door again...

Si.
                              Wood Tattoos
                              Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                              Facebook
                              Flickr
                              Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X