Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

planning to do a craft fair, what to expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planning to do a craft fair, what to expect?

Im hoping to do a craft fair next weekend in felixstowe, if there are still spaces! (will ring tomorrow)

I've never done one before, can anyone please give me an idea of what to expect?

Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm sure there is a section on here about doing craft fairs so have a look round rather than me repeating it all. Hope you do well but don't get disheartened if you don't as people are being very careful with their money these days. Just have fun and enjoy meeting all the other stall holders.
    http://www.scrumptioustextiles.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumptious Textiles View Post
      Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm sure there is a section on here about doing craft fairs so have a look round rather than me repeating it all. Hope you do well but don't get disheartened if you don't as people are being very careful with their money these days. Just have fun and enjoy meeting all the other stall holders.
      thanks for the reply, yes im hoping for the best but expecting the worst! lol. I'll be selling something a bit different to the majority of sellers i think so hopefully that willgo in my favour, but either way, im starting small and going for one with only a £15 fee, so its no great loss

will go and check out the rest of the forum

Comment

I know its a bit out of your way but I did the Wayland Show in Watton this year. Thousands of people through the door and only £25 per table so may be worth thinking about it for next year or any of the country shows as there tends to be lots of dog people there.
        http://www.scrumptioustextiles.blogspot.com

Comment

something a bit different? will give it a look as i live in felixstowe :-)

Comment

Hi guys,
            Can't help with the craft fairs but just wanted to say hi as I was brought up in Trimley St Martin. I lived in Ipswich for a couple of yhears too but moved away 3 years ago.

Ally
            xx
            Blog: http://lovinglyhandcrafted.blogspot.co.uk/
            Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ally-S...09704535743430

Comment

For a first fair I'd say make sure you know where you are going, especially if it's getting dark, as getting lost is very stressful and you don't want that.

Think how you are going to get your stuff from where you park your car to the hall. It can be a long trudge unless you like doing a car version of a rugby scrum to unload at the front door, then who's going to mind your stuff while you repark your car?

Allow about one hour to set up and have a little practice setting your stuff out on a table at home so you don't dither. But be prepared to be flexible. For £15 I've been given a 4' x 2 ' table in one place and a 12' x 4' one in another. You need a tablecloth as some tables can look very tacky and it hides your empty containers you'll shove under the table.

Take a load of change. Have things priced. Take business cards or flyers. You might be asked for a receipt.
              There's a pile of other stuff on the lines of a mini office that is useful to have eg string, blutak, notebook, pen, calculator but don't worry for a first fair.

If you are alone go to the loo before you start to sell and bring food and drink with you. A fantastic organiser will bring you drinks and mincepies and other stall holders will mind your table but I prefer to be safer than sorry.

I think that'll do for starters. Smile. I'm developing a theory that the more people are smiling the more gets sold.

Comment

Oh, absolutely! There's nothing more off-putting than a grumpy stallholder!

Also, and I think this is priceless advice I read somewhere else on this forum; take something "craft" to do in case it gets quiet. It looks bad to just be sitting there reading the paper, but you can turn the quiet times into something productive by having a small piece of work to be getting on with, and it breaks the ice with customers as they'll be asking what you're doing, and the longer they talk to you, the more likely they are to buy something either at the fair or later online.
                www.darkflightsart.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dark-...63232150439256

Comment

thanks for all the advice

Unfortunately i got a message this morning, and the felixstowe one is full, but i have been accepted to do the yuletide one at st peters on the waterfront in ipswich, there is also a festive market on aswell which will mean more foot traffic!

The organiser has told me that there are still spaces left, if anyone else would like a space? its on the 20th, 10-4 (arrive at 9 to set up)

Comment

BTW, is it normal to be completely terrified!!

Im not sure I'll do it, I havent given myself enough notice and I'd have to make a lot of collars up aswell as try to complete online orders (plus work)

arrrgggg i dont know what to do!

Comment

Originally posted by Sid_Wolf View Post
                      BTW, is it normal to be completely terrified!!

Im not sure I'll do it, I havent given myself enough notice and I'd have to make a lot of collars up aswell as try to complete online orders (plus work)

arrrgggg i dont know what to do!
                      Yes - it is completely normal to be terrified of the unknown when you are about to embark on craft fairs! Even taking part in a fair you haven't done before can be scary even after years of fairs so don't worry about that. If you are planning to sell at fairs, why wait? You still have time to make up some more stock and get plenty of cards printed with your website and contact details on. I also have a printed catalogue with me at fairs so if someone is wanting something I don't have available there and then, I can show them a picture and they can order it (full payment up front - posted free when made). I only have one catalogue as it extends to over 70 pages and changes weekly so it isn't practical to have one to give out but I have it available on my website for customers to download their own version if they want.

Fairs are great ways of getting direct feedback from customers which will really help you to focus on the most popular styles/colours. Have a notebook with you to remind yourself of ideas/suggestions after the show (believe me you will forget otherwise!) as well as display ideas you may pick up from seeing other stalls.

Make up some colourful signs showing the different products you have and their prices. Make sure customers know if you can personalise anything as you may not get time to speak to everyone but if you have cards available for visitors to take away with them, they can find you afterwards to buy from.

I don't know what table space you have but if you can find out exactly, do some practice layouts at home and see what your stall looks like. You will be amazed how a good layout will make a smaller number of products look really eye-catching and appealing and bring in lots of sales. Having the ability to take orders may mean you are rushed off your feet afterwards trying to get things out in time for Christmas, etc but means you can have one item on display but sell it multiple times! (can you have sample swatches of materials which are available for customers to choose their favourite from) You will need some sort of order book/sheets with receipt to give to the customer to show what they have paid - make sure they also have your contact details incase the item doesn't arrive. Be realistic with the amount of time you tell people it will take to get their order to them but don't make the time prohibitive and put people off. If you can turn it around in 7 days, tell the customer 10 days to give yourself a bit of leeway but say you will try to get it finished sooner. It is always better for something to arrive quicker than the customer is expecting!

See the fair as a living, breathing advert for your company - any sales you make are an added bonus and hopefully you will come home with more money in the pot than has gone out of it!

Go on - take the plunge. I am sure you won't regret it!
                      Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
                      Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
                      Follow me on Twitter:
                      @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Originally posted by AliCat View Post
                        Yes - it is completely normal to be terrified of the unknown when you are about to embark on craft fairs! Even taking part in a fair you haven't done before can be scary even after years of fairs so don't worry about that. If you are planning to sell at fairs, why wait? You still have time to make up some more stock and get plenty of cards printed with your website and contact details on. I also have a printed catalogue with me at fairs so if someone is wanting something I don't have available there and then, I can show them a picture and they can order it (full payment up front - posted free when made). I only have one catalogue as it extends to over 70 pages and changes weekly so it isn't practical to have one to give out but I have it available on my website for customers to download their own version if they want.

Fairs are great ways of getting direct feedback from customers which will really help you to focus on the most popular styles/colours. Have a notebook with you to remind yourself of ideas/suggestions after the show (believe me you will forget otherwise!) as well as display ideas you may pick up from seeing other stalls.

Make up some colourful signs showing the different products you have and their prices. Make sure customers know if you can personalise anything as you may not get time to speak to everyone but if you have cards available for visitors to take away with them, they can find you afterwards to buy from.

I don't know what table space you have but if you can find out exactly, do some practice layouts at home and see what your stall looks like. You will be amazed how a good layout will make a smaller number of products look really eye-catching and appealing and bring in lots of sales. Having the ability to take orders may mean you are rushed off your feet afterwards trying to get things out in time for Christmas, etc but means you can have one item on display but sell it multiple times! (can you have sample swatches of materials which are available for customers to choose their favourite from) You will need some sort of order book/sheets with receipt to give to the customer to show what they have paid - make sure they also have your contact details incase the item doesn't arrive. Be realistic with the amount of time you tell people it will take to get their order to them but don't make the time prohibitive and put people off. If you can turn it around in 7 days, tell the customer 10 days to give yourself a bit of leeway but say you will try to get it finished sooner. It is always better for something to arrive quicker than the customer is expecting!

See the fair as a living, breathing advert for your company - any sales you make are an added bonus and hopefully you will come home with more money in the pot than has gone out of it!

Go on - take the plunge. I am sure you won't regret it!
                        I do want to do it, i havent confirmed my attendance yet (its pay on the day), but i'm still not sure

it would be great for advertisement, but i do have a fair few orders to complete for internet sales. If I do it I will be selling dog collars, they are usually made to order, so I do take order forms with receipts on which i cut off and give to the customer. And I'll take my box of ribbon and webbing, as then they can put the ribbon against the various webbing to see what they like.

I'm not sure how many pre-made ones to do though, I have 2 leads and 1 collar ready made that I can take, and can obviously make more.

I'm just really nervous! it's less than a week away and with online sales plus working up until saturday night i'm not sure if i'm spreading myself too thin?

I was going to go as a buyer instead but after your post I'm back to being undecided! lmao!

Comment

Working...
                        X