What a cheek!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a cheek!

Talk about brass neck! There's a cafe next door to the community centre where we held a fair at the weekend. Outside their door, but close to our bunting and 'Craft Fair Here Today' sign, was set up a Phoenix cards stall on the pavement ! ! !

Since she was outside the cafe, they had presumably given her permission and we didn't feel we could say anything, although I wanted to - but what? If she'd been outside the community centre we'd have had a case. What would you have done?
    Kate
    www.cuckoos-nest-fairs.co.uk

I wonder if maybe the PT seller was connected to the cafe in some way (owner's daughter or friend) as it would take some serious cheek and lack of scruples to just approach the cafe and ask. As apposed to merely lacking scruples if they were connected to the cafe.

The really vindictive part of me would've taken a photo and her business card and reported her to the council if she was trading on the pavement as I'm sure you need a licence for that!

Hope not too many of your visitors stopped at her stall on their way in.
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I was going to say the same as Netty you need a licence to trade on a pavement

Comment

At the risk of becoming the most hated person on the forum ........so what? If she has the enterprise and gumption to use an opportunity to increase her business good for her. If your cards are better than hers and a good price then make sure you sell them well. If I am at a fair that is advertised as 'handmade' and is full of imported or machine made goods I will be the first to complain and very loudly but I cannot see that someone trying to earn a living (unless she is in fact breaking the law) and grabbing an opportunity is wrong. As crafters we need to prove by the quality and design of our work that we are as good and better than the things sold by mass producers and importers. If we can't compete then we are in the wrong business.

Pete
        "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
        Facebook

Website

Comment

Pete I don't think it's so much that it was a Phoenix trader but more that they were taking advantage of the advertising that Kate did. Everyone else at the event paid for the privilege whereas she just took it. Like I said I think it takes an enormous amount of cheek to do that (I could never do it) and there are more honest ways to earn a living.

Still love ya though
          Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post

Still love ya though
            Phew...don't tell anyone though LOL.

Pete
            "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
            Facebook

Website

Comment

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
              At the risk of becoming the most hated person on the forum ........so what? If she has the enterprise and gumption to use an opportunity to increase her business good for her. If your cards are better than hers and a good price then make sure you sell them well.

Pete
              It's a good point, but if she'd set up outside she'll be the first stall people see, I wonder how many card sellers heard the words "I wish I'd have seen you first, I've just bought one outside...."
              http://www.kirkstoneleathercraft.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
                At the risk of becoming the most hated person on the forum ........so what? If she has the enterprise and gumption to use an opportunity to increase her business good for her. If your cards are better than hers and a good price then make sure you sell them well. If I am at a fair that is advertised as 'handmade' and is full of imported or machine made goods I will be the first to complain and very loudly but I cannot see that someone trying to earn a living (unless she is in fact breaking the law) and grabbing an opportunity is wrong. As crafters we need to prove by the quality and design of our work that we are as good and better than the things sold by mass producers and importers. If we can't compete then we are in the wrong business.

Pete
                With the greatest respect Pete, I think you've missed the point. The fact that she was a Phoenix card seller was irrelevant - she may well be enterprising and full of gumption, but surely it's ethics we're talking about here.

We spent many hours (and petrol money) putting out signage over a wide radius. The signs all had to be paid for, as did all the posters that went into shop windows and lamposts etc. and the flyers through people's doors. The bona-fide exhibitors had paid us to do this through their stall fee, along with all the other expenses that constituted that fee.

This 'entrepreneurial' woman had the gall to capitalise on all of that without contributing a penny. In my book that stinks. Added to everything else, we run the Syston fair as non profit making to us - all surplus funds go to our local hospice - so in effect she was stealing from the charity.

And yes - it pains me to say it but she did a roaring trade.
                Last edited by Cuckoos Nest; 25-10-2011, 10:34 PM.
                Kate
                www.cuckoos-nest-fairs.co.uk

Comment

At the risk of sounding like a complete ummm, bottom hole, I'd have stood right in front of her and told her customers exactly what she was doing and who she was taking the money from.

Comment

We had the same problem at the Easter Sywell this year with an unauthorised ice cream seller in the car park. After much discussion with the owner of Sywell and instead of trying to get rid of him, as they usually do, I talked to him and then charged him a fee which was donated to their Air Ambulance fund - he actually returned on the next day and volunteered his fee ! so a good result all around. If the weather is good this November we may get some more money from him!!
                    The Anns (www.penninefairs.co.uk)

Comment

Working...
                    X