What do you have to bring with you to a craft fair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you have to bring with you to a craft fair

I probably sound really naive but what do you need to take to a fair, do they supply the tables - canopies etc. And what else? I can think of a few things like a cloth for the table
    enough change (money) but I would like to be fully prepared so if you can give me some ideas - maybe you forgot something on your first fair or what tricks of the trade can make your table stand out. Any ideas welcome.

• Table if one isn't provided.
    • Chairs if none are provided.
    • Canopy/gazebo if one isn't provided and you want one.
    • Stock.
    • Tablecloth.
    • Money.
    • Something secure to put the money in, preferably a money belt.
    • Pen and paper.
    • Calculator.
    • Promotional material, (leaflets, business cards, etc).
    • Insurance documents is requested, (probably best to take them anyway).
    • Display stands to present goods if wanted.
    • Food and drink.

There will probably be more brought up by the others on this forum.
    Stephen
    Website - Soy of the North
    Blog - If Soy Candles Could Talk
    Twitter - random thoughts
    Facebook - more random thoughts

Comment

I'd add
      mirror for trying on,
      poster or something that tells them who you are,
      try a promo competition like a raffle, get them to the table filling in a form to enter; they stay they buy, so, take those
      a cloth, polishing and cleaning and cleaning solution if you have anything that may get dirty in transit
      bags, carriers if possible and all thge usual emergency stuff like sellotape, string, stapler, ruler
      You never know what you might need
      Dainty Rocks Jewellery ~ www.daintyrocks.etsy.com ~ www.daintyrocks.co.uk ~ @DaintyRocks

Comment

There are lots of different things to think about so it isn't a naive question at all!

Regarding tables, etc. this differs from fair to fair so you need to check your booking information to see what is/isn't included. Usually, for outdoor fairs, nothing is included so you would provide your own tables, chairs & gazebo. Sometimes you can hire tables & chairs but this would need to be done in advance and would be shown on the booking form. If you can't see what is included, DO check with the organisers so you can make sure you don't have any problems when you arrive.
        • Table coverings are essential (again, double check that they aren't provided - very occasionally they are) and should show off your products well - think about the colour carefully with regards to your particular product and perhaps have a practice with a few different ones. You can create height on your table using boxes under the cloths and it is helpful to have some extra cloths of exactly the same colour as your main one to drape over any boxes you use - it works better than trying to get one cloth to lay properly!
        • You have already mentioned change - have a decent float with you so that if the first customer of the day buys your cheapest thing and wants to pay with a £20 note, you can handle it (yes, this happens surprisingly often!!) I have a money bag so that I can keep it close to me - security is important especially when setting up and packing away when you can be distracted.
        • Have a book to make a note of all your sales on the day. I also take extra pads for notes to myself with design ideas, display ideas, other fairs I hear about, etc. and I also print some order forms for items which I don't have on the day for customers to place orders with me (these also have a receipt section for the customer to keep showing the amount they have paid and my contact details).
        • A 'essentials' box is good to keep permanently stocked - scissors, pens, sellotape, blu-tack, marker pens, stapler/staples, etc and other 'tools of your trade' which you may need to use.
        • Good signage so that customers know those little details you might not have time to tell them, extra price labels, etc.
        • I also take a picnic bag with flask, teabags, coffee, sugar, milk, sandwiches, etc which saves a fortune in refreshments!
        Finally, don't panic if you forget something - just note it down for next time. Your display/system will change dramatically over time anyway!

Hope this helps... This isn't a comprehensive list by any means and I am sure there will be lots more suggestions along soon...
        Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
        Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
        Follow me on Twitter:
        @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Wow! i would have never have thought of all that im glad i asked. Soyofthenorth mentioned insurance - what kind of insurance do i need? What type of table do you use is a paste table sufficient or is something more substantial required

Comment

I have a small list of things that new crafters to my events tend to have a look at. You will find new bits over time that you want to take with you, this just comes with experience from attending fairs. my website is www.sparklesevents.co.uk, take a look, it might help you
            Sparkles Events
            www.sparklesevents.co.uk

Comment

You will need public liability insurance. most organisers request a copy of this when booking stalls. Make sure your table covering goes to the ground and the sides to hide the stock boxes. Wall paper tables can be unsteady the last thing you want is someone knocking into it demolishing your display or having it land on a child, can also bow in the middle. What is the event as most will supply you with a table if indoors.

Comment

Can I add the following things to take to a craft event:

A smile
                A cheery welcome for customers/potential customers

They don't take up any space, can be with you all the time and are really easy to manage

Good luck

Jill
                One craft project, like one cookie, is never enough!

http://christmaspiecrafts.blogspot.com/
                Twitter: @jillspain
                http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChristmasPieCrafts

Comment

It's not all wine & roses!

Originally posted by Rae View Post
                  I probably sound really naive but what do you need to take to a fair, do they supply the tables - canopies etc. And what else? I can think of a few things like a cloth for the table...
                  You'll need something to spray over your tablecloth to disguise the smell of the previous dog's urine after it has cocked its leg up against your stand, otherwise every dog that passes will sniff & carry out the same action. By the end of the show your stand will attract every dog in the neighbourhood & you'll have trouble fending 'em off. The same applies to odours from babies having nappies changed in said stand. Actually, the thing with the dog once happened repeatedly to a stallholder who became so irate that he subsequently unzipped his fly and did the same up the dog owner. The court case is pending. So such drastic action is not to be recommended. 'Course a watchful eye & a stern glance in the perpetrator's direction can help prevent this occurring in the 1st place. (See mugshot on the avatar top left above.)

.Grenville Allen.
                  -------f i n e a r t i s t-----
                  www.grenvilleallen.com
                  Twitter~Facebook~Blog

Comment

Ah ha...it depends a bit on your fair. If you go to a super dupr foodie fair I'd buy your munchies there. you often get a free cup of tea or three.

However, with a boy scout mentality, my handbag always contains a flask of coffee and a sandwich as I'm a one band (wo)man and it can be a bit dodgy leaving your stand. Having said that the other stall holders are usually lovely and will mind your stuff while you nip to the loo.
                    We haven't said that, have we? Go to the loo before the fair opens to the public.
                    On the first customer comes with a £20 note comment - at my last fair I had the first three coming with £20 notes buying £1 things!!!!!!! I was prepared but almost begining to panic.
                    Paste tables are cheap, light to carry and convenient to store but alarmingly flimsy.

Comment

I always take something to do with me as well...for the lull in customers (sometimes that is all day!!). So have some cutting out to sit and do at my stall, might as well use the time prepping for more crafting.
                      www.tracyfranciscards.co.uk

follow me www.twitter.com/tracyf1971

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...29004627180188

Comment

Originally posted by Rohitashwa
                        List of items that bring to the craft market:-

* Business license,
                        * Sales tax chart,
                        Wow!

So in London, which is where you say you are, people require a business licence to sell knitting or cards at a craft fair? And sales tax is so complex and variable that sellers require charts to help them calculate it ...!

Well I never! I always knew the south of England was very different to the north but things must have changed a very great deal since I last lived down there ...

Seriously though - are you really in London? And if so, why did you post a list with AMERICAN requirements which have no relevance in the UK?
                        Last edited by esseesee; 11-06-2011, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tracyfranciscards View Post
                          I always take something to do with me as well...for the lull in customers (sometimes that is all day!!). So have some cutting out to sit and do at my stall, might as well use the time prepping for more crafting.
                          When I've been helping my friend on her stall, I've found that actually doing something (in this case, weaving) will often attract people over to your stall who might not have otherwise bothered. Then they might buy something!

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieAnna View Post
                            ...Paste tables are cheap, light to carry and convenient to store but alarmingly flimsy.

Choh! Forget paste tables. They're so last century. Ours has a screw missing (rather like its owner) and is so fiddly to set up. It's cumbersome, narrow and in essence on its last legs (also like its owner). This is what we're getting next:

to go with our folding bar stool (great for eye-to-eye contact with the punters:And then you're away. All you need next is some eye-catching products. Which is what I'm working on now!

.Grenville Allen.
                            -------f i n e a r t i s t-----
                            www.grenvilleallen.com
                            Twitter~Facebook~Blog

Comment

Does the table come with the lounging guy, or is he extra?

Jill
                              One craft project, like one cookie, is never enough!

http://christmaspiecrafts.blogspot.com/
                              Twitter: @jillspain
                              http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChristmasPieCrafts

Comment

Working...
                              X