• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • B's
    100+ crafts club
    • Feb 2011

School Fairs

Does anyone do many school fairs or fate's ?

• Pretty things
    500+ Crafters Club
    • Mar 2007

Yes, I do
    Heather
    Pretty Things Handmade Jewellery

Website - www.prettythingsjewellery.co.uk

Destash bead and papercrafting shop - http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/BlackCatBeads.html

New blog - www.prettythingsandwitterings.blogspot.com

Comment

• B's
      100+ crafts club
      • Feb 2011

Lol thanks Pretty Things - What are they like and do you find them successful?

Comment

• AliCat
        Super mega big crafter
        • Jul 2009

I have done a few school events - one was often excellent and another one still has the dubious honour of being my worst takings ever! They can be very much hit & miss but fortunately they are usually on the lower end of the scale when it comes to pitch price so not so much lost if it isn't your marketplace.

In my first year, I tried pretty much every type of fair in every price bracket as far as stall fees go. In year two, I had a pretty good idea of which shows/locations work for me and which don't. I will still try different locations and types now (in year three) but have developed my regular fairs so these smaller ones are usually fillers for those spare weekends.

Don't be disheartened if one fair doesn't work for you - try to pick up as much as you can from the comments around you to establish who your best customers are (age range, location, reason for purchase, etc) and then go out to try to find fairs where they may frequent! (Thats the hard part!) I am sure you will find there is a high volume of 'gift purchases' of your candles so around Christmas will I am sure be really good for you and a good time to cram in as many fairs as you can!!
        Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
        Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
        Follow me on Twitter:
        @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

• bodrighy
          Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
          • Mar 2009

I have done a few and always made a bit of a profit but mainly on smaller things. I make things like wands, tops key rings, mobile charms etc which sell cheaply and attract the kids as well as adults. I sell very little high end stuff ( e.g. £20 +)

Pete
          "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
          Facebook

Website

Comment

• grenville allen
            100+ crafts club
            • Aug 2009

Asperger's Syndrome
            Friday we did one 2 'til 4 @ a sch for children suffering from Asperger's. Parents with plenty o' dosh. Took £200+. It's helped fund the big show we're presently doing up on Detling hill.

Sorry to hear about Mote Park. Have heard that's not a good venue. The Kent Showground for all its faults atleast gets 'em in! V downmarket in the main but some with wildlife art are doing exceptionally well, selling pics for 700 quid+! Lucky wotsits.

We're doing ok but not as well as previous yrs. Too many artists have latched on to this event we're at: The WMH Garden Show.

N'er mind. Just heard someone's after our our prime spot @ Parham soon. It's a dog eats dog world is this craft circuit!
            .Grenville Allen.
            -------f i n e a r t i s t-----
            www.grenvilleallen.com
            Twitter~Facebook~Blog

Comment

• Pretty things
              500+ Crafters Club
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by B's View Post
              Lol thanks Pretty Things - What are they like and do you find them successful?
              Yes and no. I've had some that have been diabolical, and some that are very successful, which I do every year. Funnily enough, summer fetes can be dreadful whilst Christmas fairs at the same school are really great. I don't do anything special for school events - I never do bag charms or bookmarks or that sort of thing. I just take my usual stock.

The only way to know for sure is to check them out but a lot of school events have lower pitch fees, so they're a good way of getting into selling., Even if you don't sell much, you'll get good feedback and the other stallholders are good for information about other events. I've also had organisers come to events and book me up for their own fairs.
              Heather
              Pretty Things Handmade Jewellery

Website - www.prettythingsjewellery.co.uk

Destash bead and papercrafting shop - http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/BlackCatBeads.html

New blog - www.prettythingsandwitterings.blogspot.com

Comment

• AnnieAnna
                Super mega big crafter
                • Nov 2008

There is a big variety of schools. Ist the age group - nursery to secondary, then the area - fraid to say this but some mums can't spend and others give their offspring fivers to run round the fair with, and I have to add what kind of event. I'm finding shopping evenings a dead loss but Christmas fairs brilliant.
                I sell toys, I'd have said, pitched at juniors, but my best fairs are fantastically run senior school Christmas fairs. Those schools involve the children (making cakes and biscuits), the 6th form (face painying and hennaring hands), has them as stall holders (fund raising for a gap year.) there's carol singing, Father Xmas, barbeques and one school does it after lessons. So I think the magic ingredient is having lots of reasons to have lots of people attending, expecting to spend money...and lots of choice. These schools fill up 2 halls.

Comment

• B's
                  100+ crafts club
                  • Feb 2011

Thanks for all your replies so far much appreciated

Comment

• diane2
                    100+ crafts club
                    • Jan 2010

yes i do them too, they are great to 'fill in ' during a week and as they are only open usually 1 to 2 hours, i havent had great sales but iv generated a few sales after the fairs from doing these.
                    diane
                    Diane
                    www.tailormade.etsy.com

Comment

• grenville allen
                      100+ crafts club
                      • Aug 2009

Picture I've done featuring the very school where the fete is taking place...

Originally posted by diane2 View Post
                      yes i do them too, they are great to 'fill in ' during a week and as they are only open usually 1 to 2 hours, i havent had great sales but iv generated a few sales after the fairs from doing these.
                      diane
                      Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 05:17:57 -0400
                      Subject: Re: Stall holder availability for Leigh School Summer Fete 2011
                      To: Sarah

'Morning Sarah

We'll be doing the T Wells Town & Country Show that wkd but I'm sure my wife Hazel can slip along and set something up on one of your tables inc the v relevant pic below:

On a Good Wicket

So yes, please book us in.

All the best

Grenville Allen
                      f i n e a r t i s t
                      www.grenvilleallen.com

Wow that's stunning. Great - I've got you down for a table. The form is attached, and I'll contact people again nearer the time to confirm exact set up times / prefered locations etc.

Thanks

Sarah

The pic was also bought by Michael Vaughan's father for him as a Christmas pressy!
                      .Grenville Allen.
                      -------f i n e a r t i s t-----
                      www.grenvilleallen.com
                      Twitter~Facebook~Blog

Comment

Working...
                      X