Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music At Craft fairs

All

I am holding an event this saturday and was wondering your opinions on music at craft fairs & if so what kind?
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wallw...27692183938506
    www.boltoncraftfair.blogspot.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bolto...21000424653029
    www.wallworksoaps.co.uk

Nothing is more exhausting than trying to talk over loud music. Most vendors I know really hate having to yell all day long.

So, if you must have music, then maybe something very quiet or something only in one area, where it won't make it difficult for vendors to hear pr be heard.

Comment

When i am at craft fairs, we normally have some instrumental music playing softly in the background.
      For an eclectic range of cross stitch kits visit Midnight Curiosity

Comment

A very difficult one to answer. Music can help take away that 'silent church-like' atmosphere that sometimes can happen which makes everyone feel really uncomfortable, but unless it is positioned very well or played quietly over a tannoy system, someone is going to be too close and feel like they are battling over the noise and some people probably won't hear it at all.

I do a couple of fairs where there is a live pianist playing in the corner of one of the rooms, away from the stalls slightly with a few chairs around for those visitors who would like to sit a while to listen - it is lovely and gives a nice atmosphere (although some of the slower numbers can make you a little sleepy!!) Christmas fairs are great to have Christmas music playing as it gets everyone in the Christmas spirit but a show at this time of year can be difficult to get right so you may be better to let the ambient sounds of chatting and selling fill the room.

If you have a side room/kitchen area which is a little set back from the rest, you could have music playing in there so the silence doesn't get deafening if it comes. I often have a radio on my outside stalls as it also helps to give a little more atmosphere (and something for us to sing and dance to!!)

Good luck with your fair.
        Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
        Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
        Follow me on Twitter:
        @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

J S Bach or Rihanna's latest about sado-masochism. I could listen to the uncut version again and again. Likewise my wife Hazel.
          Sticks and stones may break my bones
          But whips and chains excite me
          is the immortal line in Rihanna's upbeat number. The OH & I shoomba about to this like there's no tomorrow.

We do like it fairly quiet at shows though so I can do my schmoozing.

Finchcocks (the home of the largest collection of keyboard instruments going) nr Goudhurst in Kent is the worst for music taking over! Lots of shushing at me when I try to do my sales pitch!
          Last edited by grenville allen; 27-05-2011, 08:18 AM. Reason: addendum
          .Grenville Allen.
          -------f i n e a r t i s t-----
          www.grenvilleallen.com
          Twitter~Facebook~Blog

Comment

I like music, but it has to be right for the event. Classic pop from the sixties really does it best for me - and I'm not a pop fan at all, my tastes lie with Led Zep and Guns n Roses but there's nothing better than a bit of The Beach Boys, Beatles or Stones to create an upbeat mood. Not too loud though, you want to be able to talk all those upbeat customers!

having said that, if your fair's at the weekend you may have left it too late to organise the licence.
            Heather
            Pretty Things Handmade Jewellery

Website - www.prettythingsjewellery.co.uk

Destash bead and papercrafting shop - http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/BlackCatBeads.html

New blog - www.prettythingsandwitterings.blogspot.com

Comment

IMHO you can't beat Abba for cheering people up (but not too loud as has already been said).
              Kate
              www.cuckoos-nest-fairs.co.uk

Comment

If you are going to have music check the hall has a licence, some don't you would be surprised.

Comment

I was just going to mention a performance licence.
                  To play music in a public place you need to have a performance licence.
                  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7833982.stm
                  full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty things View Post
                    I like music, but it has to be right for the event. Classic pop from the sixties really does it best for me - and I'm not a pop fan at all, my tastes lie with Led Zep and Guns n Roses but there's nothing better than a bit of The Beach Boys, Beatles or Stones to create an upbeat mood. Not too loud though, you want to be able to talk all those upbeat customers!
                    Aye! Aye! No greatest hits of Take That please!
                    Sensible Animation

"Enter a world of plasticine chaos..."
                    Stop motion animator and 3D caricaturist.

Comment

At the fair at Castle Ashby this weekend we have live jazz which is situated around the food court. Gentle music to listen to whilst eating great professional food --- NO burger vans!!!
                      The Anns
                      www.penninefairs.co.uk

Comment

Apart from the legalities of playing music at public events, I personally don't like recorded music at craft fairs, whether I am a stall holder or visitor - but then I'm a grumpy old soandso at the best of times . Part of the reason is, as had already been noted, is that it can be too loud for people to hold conversations and it is very tiring for customers and sellers alike if they have to keep shouting over the music. Multiply that by the number of stalls and the noise level in the room can increase inordinately.

also, I have very narrow tastes in music, which suit very few other people in general, although I can tolerate all sorts for short periods of time. I also have extremely sensitive hearing, so what is normal listening level for most people is headache inducing for me, and if the music also is not my favoured style I find myself getting very stressed and bad tempered after the first hour or so if it is continuous noise.

Outside fairs are probably a different matter altogether, but I don't attend any of those (only because I don't actually know of any!).

Linda

Comment

i agree any music should be background only and not make you have too raise your voice,,but the worst thing for me is when they have the same cds etc and you hear the same 20 or so songs over and over again. i think you shouldnt hear the same song twice in 1 day, this really annoys me espically at xmas when its jingle bells or white xmas about 10 times a day....the other week i heard teddy bears picnic at least 6 times in one day NO ONE HAS THAT MANY PICNICS IN 1 DAY NOT EVEN BEARS....

Comment

Originally posted by marblemark View Post
                            i agree any music should be background only and not make you have too raise your voice,,but the worst thing for me is when they have the same cds etc and you hear the same 20 or so songs over and over again. i think you shouldnt hear the same song twice in 1 day, this really annoys me espically at xmas when its jingle bells or white xmas about 10 times a day....the other week i heard teddy bears picnic at least 6 times in one day NO ONE HAS THAT MANY PICNICS IN 1 DAY NOT EVEN BEARS....
                            Never mind Jingle Bells and White Christmas - what about Roy flippin Wood? Aaaaaargh ...........................
                            Heather
                            Pretty Things Handmade Jewellery

Website - www.prettythingsjewellery.co.uk

Destash bead and papercrafting shop - http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/BlackCatBeads.html

New blog - www.prettythingsandwitterings.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi I dont mind christmas songs etc, but today the organiser put on radio one for most of the day. very annoying, I dont like the DJ's chatter didnt have to worry about shouting at customers, there werent any or should I say not enough to worry about it. the organiser didnt even come round and introduce herself much less ask if we needed anything. so couldn't say anything even if I wanted to.

sorry moan over.....
                              Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Working...
                              X