Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maidstone Town & Country Show - This weekend

Hi

Anyone attending the show at Mote Park, Maidstone this weekend ?

Not going myself but will be interested to hear how you get on. It was one of the maybes on my list but it clashes with the three-dayer I am doing.

Hope you have a good show - looking forward to hearing if you have been busy (and if the buyers are in attendance!)
    Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
    Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
    Follow me on Twitter:
    @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Thanks Alicat will let you know, and getting really quite nervous now as this is our first 'proper' craft fair so hoping its not a let down.........

Comment

I am sure you will have a great show. Providing the weather plays the game, you should be fine! The Oakleigh crew are really helpful if you get stuck with anything. Make sure you have a notepad with you so you can write down ideas for future event displays and/or other fairs you hear about from fellow stallholders.

My first show as a full time business was a three day Oakleigh fair (very scary but great in the end) and looking back at the photos of my stall now really makes us chuckle as it is so completely different how we display things now compared to how we did it then!

Have a great weekend!
        Ali x

Follow me on Twitter:
        @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

If you clickhere you'll see that the weather's pretty so-so but we have known it a lot worse @ Detling b/h wkd.

We're in effect in Maidstone but Detling has it's own micro-climate.

I'm sure we'll all do ok; at least they won't be goin' down the coast!

Good luck!

.Grenville Allen.
          -------f i n e a r t i s t-----
          www.grenvilleallen.com
          Twitter~Facebook~Blog

Comment

Well what can I say today was a disarster !!!! Only 1,500 people through the door and 90% of the feedback that we had from the public today was that they didnt even know that this show was on ............. yesterday when we set up even local people who used the park everyday wasnt even aware what the show was, there was only 2 signs that we saw in the area for the show and that was at the actual event itself, when you arrived at Mote Park entrance and half way up the drive to the show!

There was alot of very unhappy stall holders who were pretty miffed as they had the same feedback as what we did from the public, they just wasnt aware that this show was on, and I have a feeling there will be a few empty spaces tomorrow as well, and from talking to a couple of other stall holders they are planning to cancel future events that they had with Oakleigh .....

All we can hope is that tomorrow is better than today, but really it cant get much worse to be honest and we will be amazed if we even break even to pay for the site....

Comment

What can I say today was actually worse than yesterday and we have come away like many other stall holders making a huge loss. All of the stall holders in the tents today packed away early and was out by 5.30pm and was actually queueing in their cars to load up waiting for entry.

Not once did either of the orgainisers actually come and say hello or ask how things were going, and as a newbie personally thought it was quite rude, seriously not impressed and I am not alone !

Comment

Sorry to hear that it didn't go well
                Stephen
                Website - Soy of the North
                Blog - If Soy Candles Could Talk
                Twitter - random thoughts
                Facebook - more random thoughts

Comment

You were in the wrong place. There were 25,000 punters up on the Kent Showground and the numbers were still down on last yr. They weren't really our usual clientele but with so many there you'd have to be v unlucky not to sell. Our figures were well down on previous yrs but at least we're in profit — unlike when we suffered like you a short while back @ Bewl. Here's their showlist: WMH Leisure 2011 SHows List

Next yr we're gonna try a mix: sch on the Fri; open-air mkt Sat; Sun off; village fete on the BH Mon.

.Grenville Allen.
                  www.grenvilleallen.com
                  Twitter~Facebook~Blog

Comment

You were in the wrong place. Lol think we worked that one out

Next yr we're gonna try a mix: sch on the Fri; open-air mkt Sat; Sun off; village fete on the BH Mon.

This is what we are aiming to do this year really try as many as we can and have a good look around and get a good feel for everything.

We, like all the others do believe that the failure of Maidstone was alot to do with the lack of promotion from the orgainisers & like Bewl it really was a sham ..........

Comment

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad weekend. It is all a massive learning curve and we all wish that we could see into the future before deciding which events to take space at. Hopefully you will have picked up some helpful information about other possible shows to do and you have now done that first one so going forward, it is going to get easier. There probably aren't many who haven't made a loss at a show at some point but hopefully it will all be profitable from now on for you!

If you gave out your information to people who did come, you may still get some business from it (I have had shows where I made a loss on the day but after the follow-up orders from customers who didn't buy at the fair, the loss has actually turned into a profit - just!) Try not to get too down on the back of one show - I am sure the next one will show the way it can be!

Good luck.
                      Ali x

Follow me on Twitter:
                      @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Totally agree its a learning curve at the moment, and I have emailed the orgainsers who told us they put up 50 signs up covering the roads of Maidstone...... well not saying they didnt but they must have been really small as no one has seen them !

As you say Alicat we did pick up a lot of useful information from other stall holders, and met a nice bunch too . We are not so down on the show and being at a loss as we knew it would happen and more than likely again while we are still learning, its more to do really of the apparent shambolic advertising or lack of it being seen.............

Comment

Giving it a go...

Originally posted by B's View Post
                          ...As you say Alicat we did pick up a lot of useful information from other stall holders, and met a nice bunch too . We are not so down on the show and being at a loss as we knew it would happen and more than likely again while we are still learning, its more to do really of the apparent shambolic advertising or lack of it being seen.............
                          Actually the Cuckoo Fair where Alison went would've been good for you, I reckon. We did their Laughton Autumn Steam Rally a few yrs back and were sorely disappointed. But that was a while ago now and judging by their website they seem to have become a lot slicker. So maybe we'll give that one a go next yr. Their price is certainly right!

.Grenville Allen.
                          www.grenvilleallen.com
                          Twitter~Facebook~Blog

Comment

Working...
                          X