I never book a stall on craft fair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I never book a stall on craft fair

Could someone tell me what are the prices and what documents are required? I know only about liability insurance. I'd like to start as self-employed very soon so this information will be very helpful to me.
    HANNA
    http://hannascraftcorner.com/

If you sell your work in any way you should legally register as self employed anyway. Prices vary from a fiver to three figures depending on where it is and who is hosting and organising it. Not all organisers demand the insurance but it is a good idea to have it anyway. Apart from that I am not aware of any other documentation needed. Just patience and a thick skin LOL.

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Comment

As Pete has said, prices and stall sizes vary massively so you need to start researching what is in your area and contact as many organisers as you can to get prices and booking information. www.stallfinder.com is a good source of fairs online.

The only other thing that some organisers ask for is that any electrical items you use are PAT tested (with a valid certificate to show if needed).

I agree with Pete that you need to get registered straight away so that this doesn't get forgotten which would put you at risk of a fine (certainly not needed in the early days!!)

Good luck
      Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
      Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
      Follow me on Twitter:
      @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Thanks for your information. I was going to start selling during Leamington Peace Festival(June) and Warwick Town Festival(August). I'm going to register myself this coming week after meeting in CAB because at the moment I'm on benefits due to health problems so I need some information which of them I can claim being self-employed and than straight away I'll call to register myself. Actually I look forward to it - I love my crafting and I'm very independent. I found a lot of information on your forum - for instance I didn't know about Folksy - after registering I'm going to open the shop and than I'll need some more advice from you.
        So far smiles
        HANNA

Comment

Ali, thanks for the link with stalls. I was looking on websites with craft events in Warwickshire, emailed already to some organisers but for event in June it was too late, last week there were some stalls in Kenilworth(carnival) but they required insurance and so far I'm not registered(waiting for information as I told Pete) so I resigned. But the price was a surprise for me - for marquee £40. I'm used only to car boot sale prices - £5 for pitch. But it's different size of event so maybe it's not very expensive. Luckily I was advised to join this forum and I learn every day. I joined as well cardmakers group but it doesn't seem to be very active so so far nobody to share experience. But it's only beginning..
          Hugs
          HANNA

Comment

I don't do a lot of craft fairs personally simply because the sort of things I make at the moment tend not to do so well being perhaps on the more expensive side but in all the ones that I have done there are always a fair number of both card and jewellery crafters. Sopme stand out from others. sometimes in the quality of work and often int he display. I am saying this because if you are just starting it may be an idea to go along to a few as a spectator and see what strikes you as a good, attractive stall. At the end of the day doing craft fairs can be a bit hit and miss but if you have an attrative display with quality work at a decent price (too chap can put people off as much as too expensive) then you can at worst break even and at best start making a profit in time. Good luck with it all and don't get dejected every time you have a bad sale, we all get them

pete
            "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
            Facebook

Website

Comment

Hi There Hanna, welcome to the craft forum. If you do either Cardmaking or Jewellery it can be very difficult to get into many fairs at short notice, there are so many people doing the same. Lots of people will be booking their fairs in november for the following year.

Hope you finbd somewhere to sell your wares

Mo.XX
              Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
              Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
              www.bodrighy.co.uk
              https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

I know that now, so I need to collect all information for next year. If Ihave had insurance there were some stalls to book during Kenilworth carnival which is this week Saturday. I had time until end of last week but this last minute offer was lost. In addition I'm limitited with number of fairs because I don't have car so I have to stay whithin Warwickshire. But Christmas is coming soon so I hope to sell some of my crafts. I have one question about your jewellery - do you sell it in galleries? There is one in Warwick, I tried to sell my cards there but the owner needed jewellery people at that time, my cards were too vintage for her.
                Kisses
                HANNA

Comment

Hi Pete, thanks for your advice. I was thinking how to display my cards but came to the conclusion that I need nice small stand to put it on the table and some whicker baskets so rather limited display. I make only good quality cards which is rather expensive so it is difficult to me to price them. People usually want to buy something for nothing, they don't realize how much it costs to buy materials or how many hours sometimes it takes. I think I have to compromise and charge the amount in the middle. It is difficult bit because every card is different and sometimes takes hours to put my idea alive. What makes the stall attractive in your opinion?
                  HANNA

Comment

HI Hannah one thing you will need is business cards. to hand out. be prepared for your first few fairs to not sell much to look on them as advertising opportunities and hand out loads of information. It may help with booking if you could maybe make a small gift card to send as a sample so they can see the quality of your work.
                    Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Thank you for your ideas - you are absolutely right. Can you recommend someone who does business cards for decent price?
                      I had very bad experience with Vista last year when I was hoping to sell some cards with cats from my website. I sold none and with their "special offer" I ended up with 500 cards with mistakes and very poor quality and they even didn't reply to my complaint. Small gift card sounds like very good idea, thanks.
                      HANNA

Comment

Hey,

I noticed you're in the warwickshire area and just thought you might be interested as i'm arranging a few art and craft fairs over the summer and was wondering whether you would like a stall? Stalls a £15 for a 6ft table and the next one is at Napton Village Hall on June 12th -10AM- 4PM.
                        Let me know if you're interested

Cheers,
                        Vicki
                        victoriamalin.com
                        Check out my website; www.victoriamalin.com
                        The only place for funky hand embroidered furniture...

Comment

Hi Vicki,
                          you are a star - of course I'm interested! There is only one problem - I don't have a car so if I can get there by bus or buy train I can go to every fair you organize and I would like a stall.
                          Big kisses
                          HANNA

Comment

I think there are buses..not sure as they are always on a sunday which could promote a problem.... where abouts are you in warwickshire? I live right next to the train station in Rugby so you might be able to nick a lift from me on the day or i could always ask other people i have booked in to see whether they'd be able to give you a lift.
                            Could you not be REALLLLLY nice to someone who has a car for the day

Speak Soon,
                            Vicki
                            victoriamalin.com
                            Check out my website; www.victoriamalin.com
                            The only place for funky hand embroidered furniture...

Comment

check up on getting working tax credits they might help tide you over lol
                              Pauline (Deceased) and Charlie (wishing he was)
                              www.crafty-bits.co.uk

www.geckocards.co.uk Ps this link is to old site ( not there now)
                              But it was Paulines so i cant delete it

Comment

Working...
                              X