First Trade fair eeek!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Trade fair eeek!!

I'm going along to the Edinburgh bead fair tomorrow, it was one of those last minute decissions as I had an offer of sharing a table with someone. I really don't know what to expect. The thing is the things I'm taking are not typically what I think you would find at a bead fair (displays etc). Well as they say In for a penny in for a pound.

Any advice from people who attend these sort of events would be great

Drew
    Our Website & Blog (work in Progress)
    our Facebook page
    follow me on Twitter @handywoodcrafts

Have only ever done a Christmas Fair which was fun!
    My advice would be to enjoy playing shop!
    Hope it goes well and that you get lots of inspiration from
    the other stalls!
    You are making me want the excitement again - it was great
    fun as the anticipation built and we raced to make enough stock,
    maybe you are better prepared!
    Sally Bee
    www.yourfad.com
    @yourfad on twitter

Comment

I wouldnt say I'm prepared lol, my living room it full of stuff needing finnishing touches. This isn't typically a fair as I have done them before. I am off to try and promote the display side of the business rather than just wood turnings. I need to try and perjudge what people will like on their displays so right now its guess work I just hope I have got it right.

Drew
      our Facebook page

Comment

Good Luck with it!
        Sally Bee
        www.yourfad.com
        @yourfad on twitter

Comment

Good luck to you!!!
          I have a small fair tomorrow, just managed to finish getting my stuff ready for it, but this is only because I had a fair last week too, otherwise I'd be rushing around like a madman right now!

Comment

Drew I think your steps would go down great and you could get loads of orders for them. Have you thought about offering a fair discount for orders placed over £xx ?
            Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

I have only managed to get 8 sets of steps made for the fair but i could offer a discount for people who want to order them something to consider between now and the morning lol.

Thanks for the well wishes aswell

Drew
              our Facebook page

Comment

Your goods are certainly not the usual stuff we see at bead fairs so you're bound to get interest!
                Good luck!
                Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Thanks Bea, So far the list is, stepped shelves, plier racks, ribbon racks, bow jigs, display trees, turned jewllery cones, turned earring and necklace display, turned braclet stand, chain jigs (like the chain sta) and foldable necklace displays. I will take lots of pictures tomorrow and blog about it on monday. If this one works I will definitly look at more trade fairs I think Edinburgh holds another one later in the year aswell.

Drew
                  our Facebook page

Comment

Best of luck. It will be excellent experience if nothing else, and sharing is a safe and less stressful way to start.
                    Enjoy.
                    AnnieAnna

Comment

Well the experience was brilliant we really enjoyed ourselves today and yes we did sell some displays which added to the fun. It was the most sucessfull event I have been to as a seller and well definitly do more of the same type of event. I definitly want to thank the organiser who actually gave us a table to ourselves right next to the person we were sharing with, they were so enthusiastic about us being there, although we don't sell beads or findings everything we had there had a relation to jewellery in some shape or form and they though it added something different for customers to look at.
                      All in all we got some really positive feedback and the fact we were there has allowed us to put out loads of business cards and network with people who may eventually want somethign we can make.

Drew

ps: I will blog about it with a few pictures of our stall.
                      our Facebook page

Comment

Congrats. So pleased for you. Keeping fingers crossed you get loads of feedback.
                        Carol
                        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

That is brilliant news on all counts, and I hope you find future events just as successful. Credit also to the organiser who recognised a good thing and acted accordingly by giving you your own space. I can imagine these events are very hard work, both beforehand and on the day, but what a sense of achievement when you make sales and future contacts.

I have, in the distant past, been to lace and needlework fairs, and would have been delighted to see things such as yours there, as well as the materials etc for making the items. I would also have been delighted to see storage ideas as, presumably like many others, I would go to the fairs, buy lots of equipment and materials, then come home and put them in a box or drawer and they wouldn't see the light of day for a very long time because I would forget I had them!

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by craftdancer View Post
                            That is brilliant news on all counts, and I hope you find future events just as successful. Credit also to the organiser who recognised a good thing and acted accordingly by giving you your own space. I can imagine these events are very hard work, both beforehand and on the day, but what a sense of achievement when you make sales and future contacts.

I have, in the distant past, been to lace and needlework fairs, and would have been delighted to see things such as yours there, as well as the materials etc for making the items. I would also have been delighted to see storage ideas as, presumably like many others, I would go to the fairs, buy lots of equipment and materials, then come home and put them in a box or drawer and they wouldn't see the light of day for a very long time because I would forget I had them!

Linda
                            Thanks Linda

Yes we were totally taken by surprise about the table, I did hunt the lady down later that day and gave her something from the table, she took a chain stand so that 70 year old mother can use it to help her make charm bracelets, although she still wanted to pay for it but I insisted that she just take it.
                            We left the booking of the event to the last minute and along with the bandsaw being knackered I had about a week to make most of the items we needed so beforehand was really stressfull.

One of our ideas behind the storage is the fact that people spend hundreds of pounds on materials and tools, we saw that yesterday with some of the sales going through other stall tills and finding these expensive items when back at home must be a nightmare. So we though there has got to be a way we can make items that will not only help people but enhance their own displays to better show off their items. Our ideas are not only aimed at jewellers but at all forms of crafters. I am hopeing to make paper storage racks, card display stands, thread storage etc etc etc.

Thanks Critchley I hope we do get some form of feedback from it. I know that by using the google analitics we have had about 50 hits to the website just from them listing our web address there and it only went onto their site about a week ago.

Drew
                            our Facebook page

Comment

I have my first craft fair in June and yes eeek is the word. I'm stressing already about it. I am looking foward to reading any hints and tips anyone might have. I have a friend who is going to help me both for moral support and if it's not busy to ease the bordom. I've asked on the forum for hints on pricing cushions as I have no idea where to start. Hopefully mine will be different than the run of the mill and fingers crossed they will sell but you never know.

Good luck with your fair, I hope it goes well.

Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X