Usefulness of Craft Fairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usefulness of Craft Fairs?

I've just written a blog post about how craft fairs can be useful (apart from the obvious of selling stuff on the day) and would love to hear your opinions on the matter, especially if you have anything to add!

It's here: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog...ws-are-useful/

Thanks!!
    digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
    blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
    hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
    blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

The best craft fairs we did were the ones on the street in the city centre where you have a good section of the population going past and a lots of well healed customers who work in the capital in professional type jobs who won't flinch at your prices and a lot of the general public who purchase small bits and bobs all day long. We also did well at the agricultural shows although these days agriculture is only a small part. They are massivley well attended in most cases and there are lots of good spenders. The typical craft fair was not very good due to poor attendances, very expensive stall fees, often held along way from where people live and there is a lot of competition and of course the inevitable bought in goods merchants.
    We did a lot of festivals and some would be very good. You get to the stage where going out to shows if very tiring and one probably has enough work coming in via the internet and once you reach a certain level and reputation, work comes in quite steadily without having to trundle about doing the show circuit.

Comment

Spot-on

Originally posted by wendy View Post
      I've just written a blog post about how craft fairs can be useful (apart from the obvious of selling stuff on the day) and would love to hear your opinions on the matter, especially if you have anything to add!...
      I've put a comment on your blog which essentially says:
      Well-written. Lots of salient points. We ourselves have done every type of show going both North & South. Learnt that anything prefixed by RHS is usually overpriced. Stalled out in city centre a&c & general mkts; farmers' mkts; community centres; v halls & v greens; shopping mall 1/2 wk sessions dotted throughout the yr & full-scale Christmas extravaganzas where we're there for the whole of Dec.

One thing we've learnt is that if the sun's shining punters are more likely to spend. And if there's a major sports fixture like Murray in the Wimbledon Finals or England playing, forget it. WMH Leisure have even built a proviso in should Queenie snuff it. Imagine if you'd booked a 500 quid+ show and that happened. And there's a heavy snowfall!

It's a tough world with a fickle public.

.Grenville Allen.
      -------f i n e a r t i s t-----
      www.grenvilleallen.com
      Twitter~Facebook~Blog

Comment

Addendum

Originally posted by grenville allen View Post
        I've put a comment on your blog which essentially says:
        Well-written. Lots of salient points. We ourselves have done every type of show going both North & South. Learnt that anything prefixed by RHS is usually overpriced. Stalled out in city centre a&c & general mkts; farmers' mkts; community centres; v halls & v greens; shopping mall 1/2 wk sessions dotted throughout the yr & full-scale Christmas extravaganzas where we're there for the whole of Dec.

One thing we've learnt is that if the sun's shining punters are more likely to spend. And if there's a major sports fixture like Murray in the Wimbledon Finals or England playing, forget it. WMH Leisure have even built a proviso in should Queenie snuff it. Imagine if you'd booked a 500 quid+ show and that happened. And there's a heavy snowfall!

It's a tough world with a fickle public.

This has been the best March we've done since we started c 1994. And it's been in large part 'cos of sales from my website. Pooh-poohed originally by my wife Hazel as simply a plaything for me with my SEO but it's paid for itself many times over. Lovely when one receives the message "You have funds" through PayPal.

Also, a couple looked at said site and drove down from South London to purchase a few pics. Spent many a happy hr with them.

And then there were a couple of unexpected sunny days when we were in the right place at the right time — namely, on a village green with our stall set up in all its glory, with us flogging our wares at a farmers' mkt. For an outlay of just 12 quid we could do no wrong.
        Grenville Allen
        ____f i n e__ a r t i s t__
        www.grenvilleallen.com
        .Grenville Allen.
        -------f i n e a r t i s t-----
        www.grenvilleallen.com
        Twitter~Facebook~Blog

Comment

Working...
        X