No announcement yet.

People are looking for less cost crafts. Is pound land crafts the way it going

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People are looking for less cost crafts. Is pound land crafts the way it going

I ran my craft Fair today in North Yorkshire and many people told me they have to think about spending money now. And though they love coming to the fairs they where looking for items with less cost,and though they liked the boxes for £10 to £15.00 and one time would have just brought it. They now had to have a reason to buy it and with someone in mind. With this in mind I looked on the stalls and saw that in fact most items where over £5.00 So what do we do. Or is Pound land going to take over even the craft fairs

It is such a shame but even as a crafter myself and knowing how much work goes into the products and what good value they are I'm the same, I need to justify spending money, I'm skint and that's my problem, not the stall holder, I always feel guilty walking away from a stall not making a purchase.

I've got a few craft fairs coming up as a stall holder and my theory going into them is make lots of low value items, cards, hairs clips etc £5 and under that they'll buy on site and then have just a few high value items, hand made leather handbags etc with the hope that people will like them, take a card then consider placing an order at a later date when they've had time to think about it.

Fingers crossed it works!
    Rach
    x

www.rachellawdesigns.co.uk
    www.rachelsboutique.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/rachellawdesigns
    www.facebook.com/rachelsboutique

Comment

So why were they there?
      It always amazes me that some people always want things for less and less, you have the same overheads, you buy your materials, you pay a table fee, you invest your time and you pay your taxes, and you have to pay your bills also, why should anyone expect you to drop your prices?

I know times are hard and everyone wants a bargain, don't we all, but it is their choice whether to buy or not and expecting you or other crafters to lower their prices shouldn't come into it?
      If they want £1 shop bargains, let them go there. Maybe they'll realise quite quickly that quality doesn't come with cheapo shop stuff?
      I hope no serious crafter ever drops their prices to suit others. Our Craftwork is undervalued enough without the pressure to drop prices?

Hugs Peony
      "She who works with her hands is a labourer. She who works with her hands and her head is a craftsperson. But, She who works with her hands and her head AND her heart is an Artist."
      --Francis of Assisi & PeonyRose

Comment

I try and have a couple of basket of things like tops, light pulls, key rings etc all about £2 - £3 at the front of the stall. At the back I'll have something for three figures that attracts attention but have little expectancy of ever selling at a fair. Under a tenner is best as that seems to be a cut off price in my experience. Anything more is better in a gallery or retail outlet where people would perhaps go looking for something specific.

pete
        "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
        Facebook

Website

Comment

Unfortunately using sterling silver, Artisan Lampwork and mostly A garde stones and pearls there is no way I can make things for less than £5 and I don't want to be lumped together with the Accessorise, Claires Accessories and the supermarkets. Some of my Lampwork Focals are £10 each before I do a thing with them. If I make chainmaille I might use 300 sterling silver jumprings for a start.

Bottom end is just not my market and there is nothing I can do to lower my prices except make inferior products which I don't want to do.

Mo.XX
          Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
          Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
          www.bodrighy.co.uk
          https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Well said, absolutely my thoughts exactly!
            Hugs Peony
            "She who works with her hands is a labourer. She who works with her hands and her head is a craftsperson. But, She who works with her hands and her head AND her heart is an Artist."

Comment

Originally posted by MornieG Jewellery View Post
              Unfortunately using sterling silver, Artisan Lampwork and mostly A garde stones and pearls there is no way I can make things for less than £5 and I don't want to be lumped together with the Accessorise, Claires Accessories and the supermarkets. Some of my Lampwork Focals are £10 each before I do a thing with them. If I make chainmaille I might use 300 sterling silver jumprings for a start.

Bottom end is just not my market and there is nothing I can do to lower my prices except make inferior products which I don't want to do.

Mo.XX
              And no one should have to.... At the end of the day there is a market out there for what everyone makes and there are always people willing to pay what a hand crafted item is worth, it's just a case of finding the right market place for them.... now if anyone has any insights on that please share them! xxxx
              Rach
              x

www.rachellawdesigns.co.uk
              www.rachelsboutique.co.uk
              www.facebook.com/rachellawdesigns
              www.facebook.com/rachelsboutique

Comment

Like Pete, I am fortunate to be able to have some lower priced items which are popular with children who have their pocket money to spend. I realise that not everyone is in the same situation and some crafts simply cannot have items priced under £5. As Mo quite rightly says, you don't want to make inferior products just to bring prices down.

Times are tough for everyone at the moment and my own buying has dropped dramatically, the old 'Do I need it, can I afford it' question is always at the front of my mind when looking at making a purchase.

Unfortunately, most visitors to craft fairs have never been in the position of taking a stall and don't give a thought to the cost of being there (you'd be surprised how many think that your stall is free or costs next to nothing!) or the costs involved in the making of your product. To be honest, I don't look at food stuff or things in shops and think about the overheads involved - I look at the price, compare it to the price I have seen elsewhere and if I can't justify spending the amount on the price tag, I put it back. It is no different for craft fair visitors, all they see is the finished article and a price, not the time, processes and raw materials which went into making it.

There are still the buyers out there, they are just getting harder and harder to find! I am sure things will turnaround again but it is going to be a bumpy ride to see it out.
                Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
                Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
                Follow me on Twitter:
                @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Originally posted by PeonyRose52 View Post
                  So why were they there?
                  That's a bit harsh, I don't have much money at the moment and like the people mentioned in the OP I can only justify spending £15 on something at a craft fair if it's something I actually need to buy such as a birthday present - would love to spend that amount on a treat for me but it ain't gonna happen at the moment. Why shouldn't I still visit?

It always amazes me that some people always want things for less and less, you have the same overheads, you buy your materials, you pay a table fee, you invest your time and you pay your taxes, and you have to pay your bills also, why should anyone expect you to drop your prices?
                  Maybe I read the original post differently but I didn't think these customers were expecting the stall holders to drop their prices but merely explaining why they are unable to spend as much as previously which in the current climate is completely understandable. I know depending on your craft it's not always possible (as Mo pointed out) but by having items priced under a fiver along with their more expensive items Pete and Ali are appealing to those like me who are just looking for a little treat for themselves....and in the past I've then returned to a seller to purchase a bigger item when someone's birthday comes around.
                  Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Natty Netty, As i said in my post, So why were they there, i wasn't being harsh at all, i was meaning that as it was a hand crafted type of fair, surely they expected everything not to cost just £1?
                    Hugs Peony

Comment

I think it's true to say that there are people who equate "handcrafted" with cheap! How often have you heard people whispering that "I could do that..." without really weighing up the costs in terms of materials and time and effort?
                      On a positive note, going to a craft event is a lovely afternoon out and who's to say that all those that admired work but didn't buy this time, won't be back to buy in the future, or will be seeking out craft workers websites etc?
                      There are many people window shopping on the high street on a Saturday afternoon; it's sociable, interesting and recreational. Not all will be buying (and the variety of products on the high street is vast), but a certain proportion will go back to buy that special dress etc, when they do have the money. A craft event, unlike the high street, is a very niche market and so on the day, the right people for the products available may not come through the door, or if they do, like the high street shoppers, have to wait for pay day, but will still buy, eventually!
                      These are just my thoughts and I hope they make sense somewhere along the line!
                      Good luck with your future events and don't feel you have to compromise your costs.
                      www.tempopromotes.co.uk
                      www.folksy.com/shops/TempoDesigns
                      www.elena-alice.co.uk
                      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Time-f...86878804715983

Comment

Money or lack of it there is still education needed to explain the value of handmade to the British Public. All too often now they see cheap and expect craft fairs to be the same, this is mainly down to the caliber of crafts on display, I have been to fairs where they are selling handmade cushions, admittedly very roughly done for £3.50, now I cannot compete with that when a cushion may have taken me 2 hours to make and the reply oh well I only do this for pin money and it automatically undervalues the work of crafters trying to earn a living. Think this topic has been round before!

I do try to have cheaper things on my stall but not to the detriment of what I do and these items are still priced properly so again may not be cheap as some of the tat in the shops, it is all down to the publics perception of the title 'Handmade'

Comment

Natty Netty, As i said in my post, So why were they there, i wasn't being harsh at all, i was meaning that as it was a hand crafted type of fair, surely they expected everything not to cost just £1?
                          Hugs Peony
                          I don't think they ever said they expecting things to cost £1, they just said they had to have a reason nowadays to spend £10-£15 on something. I don't understand why they shouldn't be there just because they're not able to spend £10 without thinking carefully about the purchase.
                          Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I can often be found sitting in a top of the range Mercedes SL 2 seater sports at the local show room, mentally preparing which colour to have when my boat comes in:-)

Going to a genuine handmade craft event is a shopping experience even if people can only afford to look, making sure that they remember you and your items is the key, for when they do have a gift to buy etc.

Jane
                            www.just-soaps.com
                            Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                            FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                            Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I realise I am in the fortunate position of having a full time job and don't have to rely on my craft work to support me ( just as well !! ) but I am not going to undervalue what I create so I can make a 2% profit margin just to sell it. When I sell direct it is in effect my Wholesale price anyway and is the same one I expect from the gallery I sell through, yet they can add 100% and still sell the goods, but if I tried selling at that price...........basically I wouldn't sell anything at the fairs at all.

If I lost my job, and anything is possible these days, I would though have to look seriously at my products and make what the public wanted or could buy rather than what I want to make. Times are hard, even with a full time job I certainly think twice or even three times about treating myself at the moment.

Mo.XX
                              Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                              Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                              www.bodrighy.co.uk
                              https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Working...
                              X