Fuel expenses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel expenses.

Hi. I just wonder what do you do with your fuel expenses when travelling to the Craft Fair. I have Mileage book and make a note of each business travel (craft fairs, training etc). Are you allowed to claim back full amount or just part of it?
    Last edited by Passion for Soap; 16-02-2011, 10:29 AM.
    Jelena
    Help other people and peolpe will help you.

40p a mile I believe.

Don't forget to record any mileage you do when going to the post office, bank or popping into town to buy something business related...really adds up!
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

40p per mile for the first 10k and 25p for every mile after that... not that you are likely to get to 10k, but just in case. )
      Ian Rentoul
      (Ian Rentoul Photography)
      www.ianrentoulphotography.co.uk

Comment

What do you mean by 10k? Do you mean 10 kilometers (which is 6.1 miles) or do you mean 10,000 miles?
        Daesul

http://www.clairemanwani.com
        http://www.folksy.com/shops/clairemanwani
        http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ClaireManwaniPottery

Comment

Thank you all for replies. Not much money you can claim back though.
          Jelena
          Help other people and peolpe will help you.

Comment

Actually, Natty Netty is right, those 40p's really do add up. Every time I go to the post office to send off an order, I claim 80p. One of my regular fairs is a £5-worth trip!
            Daesul

http://www.clairemanwani.com
            http://www.folksy.com/shops/clairemanwani
            http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ClaireManwaniPottery

Comment

10,000 miles
              Ian Rentoul
              (Ian Rentoul Photography)
              www.ianrentoulphotography.co.uk

Comment

You can claim 40 p per mile business usage as a business expense or you can claim the cost of fuel used for business and claim a reducing annual percentage of the capital cost of the vehicle used. Which ever way you do decide to offset the vehicle costs associated with your business you are asked by the inland revenue people to stick to it while you own that vehicle. You can change how you claim vehicle costs if you like when you change vehicles.
                http://www.dosrodgerspottery.co.uk/

Comment

I am rubbish at remembering to record mileage and therefore it is much easier for me to claim back the fuel put in. I therefore put any fuel receipts in my accounts as an expense - it works for me (most of my shorter journeys e.g. post office are done on foot anyway)
                  Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
                  Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
                  Follow me on Twitter:
                  @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Originally posted by AliCat View Post
                    I am rubbish at remembering to record mileage and therefore it is much easier for me to claim back the fuel put in. I therefore put any fuel receipts in my accounts as an expense - it works for me (most of my shorter journeys e.g. post office are done on foot anyway)
                    If its shared business and private you can be asked to prove your log. I had to go back two years but luckily all dates and trips were logged and all on my employers expense forms. It might be due to the fact I was doing almost 4,000 miles per month. Pity the person that had to work through my forms.

Comment

One thing you have to remember is you can either use the 40p a mile method or the receipt method but once you decide which method you have to stick with that until you change your vehicle.

Comment

I'd just like to add that when I had one car for business and pleasure keeping track of the milage did my head in. When I moved on to big banger for business, comfy OH's car for pleasure, life became a dream (in an accounting way).
                        (My big banger is now a quite a nice secondhand van. And the heating works. Yeah! And it starts first time. Yeah! yeah! That's still surprising me!)

Comment

Originally posted by Craftychez View Post
                          If its shared business and private you can be asked to prove your log. I had to go back two years but luckily all dates and trips were logged and all on my employers expense forms. It might be due to the fact I was doing almost 4,000 miles per month. Pity the person that had to work through my forms.
                          I only get receipts for fuel used to/from fairs. The dates on the receipts usually therefore correspond to fair dates as we fuel up either on the way there or the way back and normally put in £10/£20 worth. I think if you put in a huge amount for fuel it will be queried but if you are sensible about it then it is pretty easy to show what shows you have travelled to (there will be a small amount extra for the other miscellaneous trips).

If you do lots of small trips, it may be better to do mileage as you can log what each trip is for.
                          Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
                          Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
                          Follow me on Twitter:
                          @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

If you are just claiming for the fuel you are (IN THEORY) missing out because the milage figure is (SUPPOSED TO) cover a proportion of the cost of running your vehicle - repairs, MOT, insurance etc.

In the back ground hear me laughing very loudly. I think the 40p needs a bit of a rethink, don't you?

Comment

Go further on disused chip fat!

If you click here you can see how you can run your vehicle on old chip shop oil. Apparently it can work out to as little as 40p a litre! So make friends with whoever runs your local chippy now!

'Course, since my wife 'n' I follow a simple hunter-gatherer diet, relying on roadkill, berries and nuts, this will prove v difficult for us but not insurmountable.

.Grenville Allen.
                              -------f i n e a r t i s t-----
                              www.grenvilleallen.com
                              Twitter~Facebook~Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X