Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enjoyment

Hello

Has the enjoyment really gone from the fairs? I go to fairs and look round and see sour faces, books in heads and just really un inviting and grumpy faces (Obviously with the few exceptions) but i remember fairs used to be full of smiles, people talking about their products, not just to sell them, but to help others trying to learn something etc. and just generally having a good time, whether they sold or not.

I dont very often see people making either, showing that they make the items themselves and letting people watch them (If possible) or event having an album on the table of process photo's with explanations on how they made the item or learnt how etc.

Please don't slate me, i just want to see if people that go to show's are seeing the same things as me, or if i am just looking round the wrong events.

I beleive a fair should be about showing you enjoy the product, you enjoy having the chance to show your item and talk about your hobby/craft and are happy to have it available for people to purchase if they wish, and that you take pride in what you make and don't try the hard sale routine. But thats just my opinion and i am sure others have a completely different view on things

katie
    Sparkles Events
    www.sparklesevents.co.uk

Sometimes it can be hard to stay positive. But I always have a good morning and a smile for anyone coming to my stall. I also always sit and demonstrate. Either at the side of my table, if there is room, or behind it if not. I do this so, as you say people can see when I say things are handcut ete, that they truely are. It also makes me feel I've not had a wasted day if I've had few sales. At least I have moved some pieces on a bit.

I agree that there are people who who don't do the above, but I sometimes wonder if this isn't a bit of shyness maybe? To be honest I've been at some fairs where I've tried talking to customers and they dismiss you without a thought. Days like those can be tough.

cj
    www.curiouscatcreative.co.uk
    Become a facebook fan
    Check out my blog

Comment

yes i do understand where you are coming from, as a crafter i always try to take something to do, if your shy and feel you can't necessaraly talk so much, then just to show your doing your craft is sometimes enough. I hate walking about and seeing a sour face, after all a polite good morning and a smile never costs anything and the viewer always walks away feeling that little happier (Well i do, if i'm not selling and just looking round a fair)
      Sparkles Events
      www.sparklesevents.co.uk

Comment

hI Katie, think you must have been to the wrong events. did you go to handmade only events or craft and gift. the craft and gift I find are the sour faced bunch as they cannot demonstrate how to make bought in goods, cos they are only in it for the money.

However, like CJ, I to demonstrate and teach my craft to anyone who will stand still long enough, at my last fair a customer pulled up a chair and I taught her a few basic technics for jewellery she stayed for 15 mins and then bought a bracelet. As you mentioned if the customer can see you making the item they are more likely to buy from you. I've also had several bored husbands watch me while their wives were brousing elsewhere, they are usually the ones who ask the most questions.
        Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

over the past 7 or so years i've been to lots and lots of different events, some of these have even been the big blickling hall and sandringham show, where people have still with thousands of lookers had their heads burried in a book or paper.

I think its wonderful to see people making their items, and just generally interacting. Like i said please don't slate me, just saying a few things that i've seen change an both CRAFT only fairs and Craft and gift fairs, i think this is the real magic behind a good fair of any kind and obviously i understand people cannot demonstrate bought in goods (And yes its a bug bear for all us real crafters) but they can still wear a smile rather than a froun.
          Sparkles Events
          www.sparklesevents.co.uk

Comment

not slating anyone just typing out load. and I totally agree that there are those who do not for what ever reason seem to enjoy the occasion. or maybe that is their idea of enjoyment, sitting and reading all day. TBH having nothing to do would bore me to tears. As the saying goes..... A smile is infectious so go infect someone today....... might make that into a sign for my stall.
            Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

i love the thought of that on a stall, that would make someones day just to see the sign, it would certainly make me smile

I9 get frustrated when i walk past a stall and all i hear is, god do i really have to be here with this? And i think, no, you booked to come, your wanted to show your items, if you did not want too do it then why come.............
              Sparkles Events
              www.sparklesevents.co.uk

Comment

I think the general mood can be determined by so many factors - most stallholders start off with a cheery disposition but that can disappear if they are in the cold with little to show for it. I have been to a show today where the number of visitors hasn't been brilliant and with God knows how many acres of space for them to look around at various displays, etc. there has been a feeling of malaise clouding the trade stalls and craft tent.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of what I make, I can't take things with me to make up on the stall so don't fit in to that category but, no matter how rough I feel, how tired I am or how slow the day has been, a visitor to my stall will always be greeted with a smile and a friendly chat. Sadly, I do agree that this isn't the case with all stallholders - and these are usually the ones who complain at the end of the day what a rubbish day they have had! One of the benefits of an outdoor show, such as today, is that we too can enjoy the wonderful displays taking place in the arena.

As with anything, I very much believe that you get back what you put in, after all life is what you make of it! Pity the mortgage company isn't quite as flexible with the financial side of things!!

I do agree with CJ, however, that it is very difficult to maintain a cheery disposition when you are cold, wet and your 'Good Morning/Afternoon' is sneered at by the recipient of your greeting.

Perhaps we can try to make craft fairs a happy place to be - one stall at a time!!
                Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
                Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
                Follow me on Twitter:
                @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

so with comments in mind, can you think of anything an organiser could do to help make things better? I know we cannot always drag people in, or get the footfall of people, but sadly thats something thats out of our control, we can do all the advertising in the world, but that wont always bring the people.

But any ideas on getting cheerier crafters is an idea worth thinking about, after all i beleive a stand at a fair is your shop window of your items for sale
                  Sparkles Events
                  www.sparklesevents.co.uk

Comment

As someone who usually smiles and chats about her products ( can't demonstrate fused glass work) I did in fact spent most of today's event with my head in a book. Why? well it 's a bit hard to keep being happy and smily when people gather in front of your stand completely ignore you and start smoking... the smile and good nature fall with the ash on to my pristine white just washed cover.

I did try to ask nicely for them to move but I just earnt a mouthful and one bloke made it his mission to come and have his smoke every fifteen mins in front of my stall to prove a point! SO instead of staring at is back I read my book... it was a good book.

Ohh I did come away with five bottles of lovely alcohol from the bottle tombola
                    Last edited by annnoble; 04-09-2010, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by katier60 View Post
                      so with comments in mind, can you think of anything an organiser could do to help make things better? I know we cannot always drag people in, or get the footfall of people, but sadly thats something thats out of our control, we can do all the advertising in the world, but that wont always bring the people.

But any ideas on getting cheerier crafters is an idea worth thinking about, after all i beleive a stand at a fair is your shop window of your items for sale
                      All you can do is prepare a good show for crafters to have a chance of sales. Once the people come through the door, you can't make them buy from any stall - that is the stallholders job to sell their wares. If you do your side of things well, there is nothing more you can do. Sometimes your marketing/planning works and sometimes is simply doesn't.

Don't forget you are dealing with people who run their own businesses in very different ways - some will do it well and some not so well. Tis the nature of the business we are in and nothing will change the people who want to sit and read a paper/book on their stall rather than interract with customers. Just know that they are unlikely to make enough money to keep going and so they are likely to disappear after a while (especially during these tough times).

Just my opinion on the matter...

Ali x
                      Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
                      Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
                      Follow me on Twitter:
                      @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

I have often smiled and said hi and tried to make eye contact but people seem to think if they look at me they will be forced to buy something. So I barely get a smile let alone conversation.

I couldnt take things with me to make, unless people could put up with me hammering
                        Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by handcrafted View Post
                          I have often smiled and said hi and tried to make eye contact but people seem to think if they look at me they will be forced to buy something. So I barely get a smile let alone conversation.

I couldnt take things with me to make, unless people could put up with me hammering
                          thats an idea-you could have a mini anvil, as long as you were tapping away it would get folks attention,you could be aimlessly tapping sideaways on and then look round to make the eye contact?maybe then ask them to help ?? i am just thinking about a chap at my local sunday market who sells meat using a microphone-now thats too extreme to have inside a craft fair but if you can draw folk to hang round your stall it could pay off

Comment

I didn't really think it was an exception but my two farmers markets are full of happy stallholders. We all support each other, cover one another's stalls and there is always a happy atmosphere.
                            I have been to other sales where the stallholders seem to think they can just dump their stuff on a table and people will buy, with no interaction at all. I am always more willing to buy from a cheerful and chatty person. I find I sell far more when I interact with people, even if it is just to pass the time of day. If you can keep a person at your stall for a few minutes then it will often draw others who want to see what is interesting.
                            Although I can't make necklaces at a fair, I usually make up earrings, keyrings and bookmarks etc in quiet moments and will often sell them on the day.
                            Many years ago - before supermarkets and superstores really took off - you always got personal service in shops, assistants would help you find what you wanted and give suggestions about something suitable. I think this is what people expect from crafts fairs. individual crafts and a personal service.

Melanie
                            Last edited by silvermaid; 05-09-2010, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Hey Katie

I will admit ive been to a lot of fairs in our area and people do seem to be quite grumpy
                              I'm not saying everyone but there certainly is a few

Your event yesterday was again well organised and was not your fault about the footfall, yesterday just seemed to be that the crafters weren't talking to each other either. Every other of your fairs i've bee to the crafters go around talking to each other yesterday that didn't seem to happen. I'm not saying that was your fault either but it always makes the day feel longer if your own most of the time and theres only so much i can talk to my nan about. I'm personally one who can't demonstrate my stuff without taking boxes of stuff with me but nanny always sits there and does some knitting so i certainly think a hello and a smile is enough.

Your fairs are always great and usually my favourite ones to go to so keep up the good work

Tanya xx

P.s hope nothing sounds horrible i just never know how to word things
                              http://lookatthecrafters.blogspot.com/

When i sit and craft i feel at peace what joy is in my heart (Mrs.Hodkinson)

Comment

Working...
                              X