Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Craft Fair

Hi,
    Has anyone ever done a major craft event like the Christmas fair at the NEC.I have only recently started selling and have only done one craft fair so my husband thinks I'm jumping in a bit too quick!Any information would be appreciated.
    thanks Lisa

Hi, I would suggest that you check how much this is going to cost you and whether you think you are likely to make your money back - I recently did a two day fair in April in a marquee and business was slow - barely covered the cost - also consider travelling costs. Remember, interest rates have gone up again - I would think seriously, unless you have items that sell well and will cover the expense - also smaller fairs are more friendly and often don't have other 'outside the craft area' distractions.

Comment

Hi Lisa, I haven't done any of the big ones but thought I might have a wonder round them this year to check them out so to speak. I have had a price list for the Festive Gift Fair at the NEC and it's pricey beyond belief (over £200 per square meter) I would have to make sooo much chocolate and then hopefully sell it that I'd be working flat out for weeks to cover the cost. But if you have something that retails quite high you'd cover your cost easier with less sales. I suppose my advice is visit them first
      Sarah xx

visit my website www.chocolateuphoria.co.uk

Comment

Hi Aromalisa,
        I exhibited at the Trade only show at the NEC in February and have signed up again for next years. It is very expensive (my tiny stand 1m x 2m was over £400 thats without hire of furniture etc..) but the numbers of attendees is huge. Granted my exhibition was just for retailers to buy but I have attended the Xmas craft fair at the NEC a couple of times with my Mom as a punter and they are Very busy. Get in contact with the exhibition organisers and get lots of info before you make any decision. Good luck.
        Anice xx
        Funkyhand x
        my website
        http://www.funkyhand.com
        my blog (updated 09/06/10)
        http://funkyhand.blogspot.com/
        Follow me on Twitter
        http://twitter.com/funkyhand

Comment

What sort of things do you do is it something that not many others do if so it may be a good one to do

I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It

Comment

I've started to sell at big fairs. So far I've had a stand at Cardiff, Cheltenham and Malvern. They were with the big organisers and approx 10,000 people attended. Costs were huge £600 for a 1.5 x 2m stand and the lights and electricity were extra. You have to sell a lot to cover that.
            The first show was a learning show. We covered our costs and did not make a penny. Not good!
            The second show was were I put the lessons learnt into practice.
            1. Better display. It cost money but was worth every penny.
            2. Everything was ready for sale. No measuring. Customers could help themselves.
            3. Improved stock. I bought a wider range than I had at the previous show and it went well.
            4. I used spotlights. They were expensive but they did make the goods look good.
            5. Hughely improved colour theming. It attracted people onto the stand.
            6. I demonstrated.
            I trippled the takings.
            What do you sell?
            Do you have enough stock to get your money back?
            You will have left over stock, can you store it. You need to take too much.

I sell a great deal of ribbon. It looks good when displayed.
            If you sell the same as everyone else then you have to compete for a limited spend.
            I am doing another three shows this year and when I return to Cardiff I hope to do really well. Just to prove to myself that I can.

Yvonne
            www.craftfairy.co.uk
            www.blog.craftfairy.co.uk
            http://craftfairydesigns.blogspot.com/
            http://www.craftfairy.co.uk/
            http://nonnasrecipes.blogspot.com/

Comment

I knew i knew the name craftfairy i got lots of lovely ribbon off you at Cheltenham

I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It

Comment

I went to the Christmas Fair at the NEC a couple of years ago for a look around.
                I think the thing is with something like that, it's not a Craft Fair as such, iall the stalls are 'shop like'
                Not sure if i'm making sense but anyway these shows have thousands of people through the doors, coach loads of people turn up specifically to buy their christmas pressies, it's not the usual people who go to the craft fairs just for a nosy...
                I would say go for it....
                Just make sure you have plenty of stock. Really you could just put all your efforts into that show for this year and don't worry about booking any other little shows, so that you get everything looking as proffessional as poss, with leaflets, business cards and displays etc.
                I'm sure you will get loads of advice from people on here..
                What do you make??
                The other thing about the fair i went to is it's not all hand made, in fact most of it is bought in, but they did have a few hand made stalls, i'm guessing by your name it's something smelly?? I can only recall a couple of 'smelly' stalls when i went.... so you could have a captive audience!!
                Last edited by icecreamgirl; 29-05-2007, 07:48 PM.
                http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Snow angel View Post
                  I knew i knew the name craftfairy i got lots of lovely ribbon off you at Cheltenham
                  Hi SnowAngel,

I'm glad that you liked the ribbons. I've increased the range dramatically. Why not have a look at the site and see what you think?

www.craftfairy.co.uk
                  I am also starting to sell rubber stamps which I am importing from the States.
                  Have a look and see what you think.

Yvonne
                  http://craftfairydesigns.blogspot.com/
                  http://www.craftfairy.co.uk/
                  http://nonnasrecipes.blogspot.com/

Comment

I requested information on the NEC show, it's extremely expensive. If I remember correctly, it was in excess of £600, plus extra for lighting etc. But then I had to consider that we would need to stay overnight. Jon would need to drive me down there the day before and help set up. (I only have a small car) He would then need to go home to pick Gen up from school and drive back down again on the Friday after she had finished etc. etc. When we got a final figure, it was in excess of £1,000 that we would need to make in order to just cover our costs.

I've been to the fairs at the NEC for the past 4/5 years as a customer and they are huge. There is two parts to it, one being the gift hall which is where everyone sells their items as presents for Christmas. This has a vast selection of goods from hand made products and bulk bought tat. The other hall is purely craft items for customer to buy to make things at home. What I found was that it was dominated by cardmaking and scrapbooking. If you have something else to offer at reasonable prices, then maybe it's the way to go.

I'm still very undecided about it all as we would be working soooo hard for months before hand to ensure that we had sufficient quantities available just to make our stall money back. But when I think of the potential of all those visitors over the 4 days, I can't help wondering if it could be worthwhile exercise.

Lots to think about.
                    Caroline

You don't need talent to be artistic you just need patience!

www.potterdoodledoo.co.uk

Comment

for those thinking about it, I've dug out the information I received. I'm assuming that the prices are plus VAT : -

2.5m x 1.5m = £519.00
                      3m x 2m = £588.00
                      3.5m x 2m = £650.00
                      Corner 4.5m x 2m = £795.00

Extras

4ft trestle table £12.95
                      6ft trestle table £13.95
                      Chair £5.15
                      Sockets range from £86.95 - £284.95 depending on requirements (huge difference there!)
                      Spotlights £36.50
                      3 Spotlight package £92.50
                      75w Halogen spotlight £40.00
                      Flourescent 6ft £41.00
                      Battens £6.50 p/metre
                      Carpet £3.35 m2

Any electrical items used must have PAT cert on them. There's also many other rules and regulations regarding items acceptable etc.

Crafts for Christmas - The magic of Christmas

"Get into the festive mood with new ideas, fresh inspirations and tempting products. Enter this magical world of modern and traditional crafts and craftsmanship and find gifts for those hard-to-buy-for friends and family. Crafts for Christmas is packed full of unique articles to delight and inspire with gifts and treasures made in the time-honoured way with individual care and attention to detail. Spend the day in the company of over 200 craftspeople and artists from around the UK and enjoy a host of demonstrations whilst shopping for everything you need for a creative Christmas all under on roof."
                      Caroline

You don't need talent to be artistic you just need patience!

www.potterdoodledoo.co.uk

Comment

nec

Thanks sooooo much for all your help.I would be selling gift baskets(made up by me),hand made soaps,shampoos,bath bombs and cards.The gift baskets all have a theme and made up for mothers ,grandmothers gardeners, teenagers,husbands ,boyfriends,girlfriends, babies etc.
                        Thanks Aromalisa

Comment

Working...
                        X