Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

Hi Everybody,

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on the practise of attending craft markets to pass on details of other (possibly rival) events to stallholders?

Should you always ask permission to pass details of other events to stallholders or do you think it doesnt matter? (After all the stallholder is the one missing out if they dont get the info).

Just wondered what the general consensus was.

Hi David

Nearly every event I do, be it a Farmers Market, craft fair, show, or whatever, I get invited to other events by visiting organisers.

Most organisers go to events to look for stalls - to check them out etc.

Some organisers, do introduce themselves to the organisers and I know they network together

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I agree with Jane.

I am nearly always approached by at least one other organiser at fairs. I am sure most organisers don't mind too much as long as it is done without detriment to their own shows - I think it is a matter of simple courtesy to say hello to them. One thing which I wouldn't like to see is another organiser leafleting outside (or even worse, inside) a fair in order to promote their own to visitors if they have no connection (or permission) with the organiser of the fair they are at.

From a stallholders point of view, I don't mind other organisers who come along as these are often fairs I may not have found otherwise but I am there to sell so am unlikely to be in a mood for a long chat (unless it is very quiet) so it is important that there is literature brought along for me to go through at a more convenient time.
      Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
      Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
      Follow me on Twitter:
      @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Originally posted by AliCat View Post
        I agree with Jane.

I am nearly always approached by at least one other organiser at fairs. I am sure most organisers don't mind too much as long as it is done without detriment to their own shows - I think it is a matter of simple courtesy to say hello to them. One thing which I wouldn't like to see is another organiser leafleting outside (or even worse, inside) a fair in order to promote their own to visitors if they have no connection (or permission) with the organiser of the fair they are at.

From a stallholders point of view, I don't mind other organisers who come along as these are often fairs I may not have found otherwise but I am there to sell so am unlikely to be in a mood for a long chat (unless it is very quiet) so it is important that there is literature brought along for me to go through at a more convenient time.
        Same goes for me too.
        Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Thanks for your opinions, last thing I want to do is cause upset to other organisers.
          I will get together some literature explaining what we do - could be easier than chatting away for hours on end.

Comment

Things I've observed: with the Historic Fairs I go to - some are really cooperative, open, welcoming and happily invite other organisers to put piles of flyers on a table near the entrance/exit. These are lovely fairs and the customers return every year as much to meet up with friends, have a meal (at the fair), catch up with gossip and generally have a nice day out.

There is a fair that took umbridge at a new fair starting up (because the first fair had grown like Topsy and was turning maker/traders away). You wouldn't believe the invective that hung in the air. Both fairs have loads of customers but whereas I used to enjoy the first fair and meet friends there, as a trader welcomed to the second one I feel really uncomfortable at the first and can't get away quick enough.
            Another thing was, one year by a complete fluke, they managed to hold both fairs on the same weekend. As they are only a 20 minute drive apart, our customers had a whale of a time making a weekend of it zipping back and forth from one fair to the other, spending loads more money than they would have if they had had to choose to go to only one of the fairs. (Sorry, am I explaining this properly? These are fairs full of stuff that is hard to get hold of and people travel miles to get to them.)
            If only the two fair organisers could have cooperated it would have been a really winning formula to repeat.

Modern fairs, as a rookie modern fair stall holder, I am delighted people share other venues with me. It can only be for the good as if I can't find a variety of fairs I'll go out of business and then the first fair won't be able to have me (well my pitch fee).

So I can only see good in sharing and cooperating.
            AnnieAnna
            www.anniethepedlar.com
            www.littlechile.co.uk

Comment

Surely it can only be a good thing for crafters and organisers alike to "network" at other fairs, as long as no toes are trodden on with regards fairs on same dates and similar venues. I have been approached a few times at fairs and i don't think it is a problem...btw David I am in Nottingham of you are planning events in the area!!
              www.tracyfranciscards.co.uk

follow me www.twitter.com/tracyf1971

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...29004627180188

Comment

As an organiser and crafter, I don't mind if other organisers come and promote their fairs, so long as they don't clash with mine!

What I did take exception too was one woman who had contacted another crafter as she wanted to set up a fair locally but didn't have the know how or contacts. This crafter suggested she contacted me, the idea was that I would find the crafters and basically run the craft side of her event (it was to be an outdoor fun day type thing).

I was told by the crafter that this lady was going to come to my next fair, specifically to talk to me as she wanted me to help her out (which I was happy to do and she had been told this!).

What actually happened was that she came to the fair, picked the crafters she wanted for her event and by-passed me, even though I had been pointed out to her as the one she needed to speak to. She didn't even have the courtesy to ask if I would like a stall at her event.

I have since found out that she is charging £100 per pitch for two days, in a not very affluent area (if I'm honest there is a lot of vandalism in the area!) on a site which is well known for car boot sales and charity events on a regular basis. This is the second time she will be hosting this event (last year was rained out)

The only advertising I have seen so far is a hand painted board at the side of the road, which if I didn't know what it was about, would not have understood, there has been no newspaper advertising or signs in shops etc and the event is next weekend!

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant there!

But to get back to the question, I don't mind organisers asking stallholders about other events (I have done the same) but do have a little bit of respect for the organiser of the event you are going to. Be discrete and if possible talk to the organiser, who you never know, may be a crafter/stallholder themselves!
                Diane
                Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Thanks for all your opinions, I work for the Markets & Fairs Service for Nottingham City Council so we do hold big events and have a fairly large contact database however you can never have enough contacts (true in all walks of life I think).

I licence quite a lot of events too and like you say the majority of these are smaller markets organised by the traders themselves and I have to say I have always been treated courteously by them when I visited. Its the larger fairs/markets I could do with visiting now, thinking of the one at Calke Abbey.

Always useful to get different opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by tracyfranciscards View Post
                    Surely it can only be a good thing for crafters and organisers alike to "network" at other fairs, as long as no toes are trodden on with regards fairs on same dates and similar venues. I have been approached a few times at fairs and i don't think it is a problem...btw David I am in Nottingham of you are planning events in the area!!

Hi,

We are always putting different events on, if you would like to be on our mailing list please email me with your details, thanks.

[email protected]

Comment

Thanks for that, I have emailed you.
                      www.tracyfranciscards.co.uk

follow me www.twitter.com/tracyf1971

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...29004627180188

Comment

Working...
                      X