Craft fair advice please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craft fair advice please!!

Can you all let me know what you think of this....

Is Early October too early to sell Christmas items at a craft fair?

I know the high street shops seem to think Christmas starts in September but I'm not sure if early October is a bit too soon for a craft fair.

My husband is a bit bar humbug about the whole festive thing until Xmas eve and says its too early but my parents (who have been doing craft fairs for eons) rekon its a good time to start.

Let me know what you think, i've got the chance of a good local fair and I'm umming and arring!!??
    - A whole world of fluffy stuff.

Hi

I would of thought it was a good starting point. Leave it too late and all those organised people out there. Not me of course. Have it all done.
    Good luck
    http://butterbeandesigns.co.uk/

Comment

I personally feel that end September beginning of October are the perfect time to start with your Christmas items. Once my daughter has gone back to school in September, then that's the time that I start to think about Christmas gifts and ideas etc.

As I put in a previous post, I did sell quite a few in July last year although it was my intention to show them off rather than sell.
      Caroline

You don't need talent to be artistic you just need patience!

www.potterdoodledoo.co.uk

Comment

I think October is an ideal time to start selling Christmas things because I have found that the nearer to Christmas you get people have obviously bought their presents and the craft fairs don't tend to do very well in December.

Cheers.

Lisa
        Bowed Over
        Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
        www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Yep agree with all that. I start selling my Christmas stuff aorund then, like Lisa said, too close to Christmas and people have already done it all.
          Jo x

For handcrafted wooden gifts and decorations please visit http://www.sommerwood.co.uk

Comment

Thats great, thanks for all your input. Looks like I'll go ahead and book!

Comment

Well, I'm booked for a craft fair (my first!) early October and I fully intend to do the Christmas stuff

On a personal level; I worked in food retail for 10 years and I had always (and still do) done virtually all my Christmas shopping by the end of October. So for me, October is December!!

If you've not got the choice for Christmas stuff then no-one can buy it - at least give your customers the option!

Comment

Agree with everyone else who has commented thus far, sounds like the perfect time to me
                http://creativemakes.blogspot.com - My Blog
                http://www.creativemakes.co.uk - My Website

Comment

Hi - I did a number of fairs last year around the autumn period and can honestly say that September was moderate - people feel the pinch after summer holidays - I put my Christmas stock out but it was only bought by the well organised - October picks up well and November and December zoom !

Comment

Hi I would definately buy things in October for Christmas most people have already done their shopping by the end of November so I think fairs in December are not always worth doing. However there are some people - my husband - for who Christmas/birthdays pop up out of the blue for. Anyone one would think we only have them every 3 years or that the date changes every now and then. Definately book a fair in October. Do you only make Christmas things or are you a all year kind of girl?
                    Sarah xx

visit my website www.chocolateuphoria.co.uk

Comment

You might be surprised that by October, many organised people have already written their Christmas cards and bought their gifts. You could even start in September.

Yvonne

www.craftfairy.co.uk
                      www.blog.craftfairy.co.uk
                      Last edited by craftfairy; 29-05-2007, 05:25 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
                      http://craftfairydesigns.blogspot.com/
                      http://www.craftfairy.co.uk/
                      http://nonnasrecipes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate Girl View Post
                        Do you only make Christmas things or are you a all year kind of girl?
                        I've tried fairs all year round in the past but the summer ones have always proven to be a waste of time for me. So I'm only doing Xmas ones this year.

I've gone ahead and booked the October fair and I'm on the lookout for more!!

Comment

oil painting

We offer Oil Painting with different manners as request.
                          Canvas + Wooden Rims without nails.
                          Exporting Package: each piece pakced with poly paper with four thick paper protective corners and with preservative inside
                          Size: 20"*24", 24"*24", 24"*30"....... more size as request.
                          Welcome to contact us for more details.
                          MOD EDIT - CONGRATULATIONS! YOU ARE MY FIRST BAN TODAY! COLLECT YOUR PRIZE WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER!
                          Last edited by Peter; 05-06-2007, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by keepmemory View Post
                            We offer Oil Painting with different manners as request.
                            Canvas + Wooden Rims without nails.
                            Exporting Package: each piece pakced with poly paper with four thick paper protective corners and with preservative inside
                            Size: 20"*24", 24"*24", 24"*30"....... more size as request.
                            Welcome to contact us for more details
                            EDITED TO TAKE OUT CONTACT DETAILS OF SPAMMER

This is also on another thread within the UK Craft fair.....
                            Last edited by swirlyarts; 05-06-2007, 12:02 PM.

Comment

I would love the chance to sell my cards at a fair I have already been asked for christmas cards so i guess it's never too early to start the early bird gets the worm and all that. Does anyone know of any craft fairs near me I am in fife and I cant find any it seems we are sadly lacking here but they are everywhere else.
                              pauline

Comment

Working...
                              X