Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prospective Christmas Venues

Here are two;

Bradford on Avon, St Margaret's Hall, Saturday 15th December.

and

Assembly Room, Melksham. Does anyone know anything about this one? I've left a message asking them to call me about availability but I'd love someone's personal opinion on suitability?

Jules
    Apple Tree Crafts
    www.appletreecraftfairs.com

I have mixed views about Melksham.... it's not what I would call "affluent". But then, that affluent areas don't always guarantee good sales do they?

It is just down the road from me so I feel qualified to speak about it (!) Put it this way - it's not the same sort of town as Bradford On Avon.

Plus there is already an established fair that takes place in Melksham - don't know when though but I do ocassionaly see the signs for it.

Have you considered Longleat as a venue - I think that would be fab as a venue, but would I suppose it would rely heavily on advertising as it's not open after November. Maybe one in October?
    Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Jules, I would agree with this. I have PMed you with ideas
      Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Scrapping....

....Melksham then....we'll cross that out.

I think BoA's a good one....is that date good for people? it's the only Christmas date they have. I thought it might be a tad late in the festive season.

Also, just looked at the Tea Room, in Bath. £1300 per day in December.....ow!

Jules
        Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Sounds good to me!

Bath would be excellent if there is somewhere. Have you thought about the uni? It's not far from the shopping area and you'd have students etc as well? Might be worth an ask?

Laura
          Beyond Beads
          Handmade Beaded Jewellery for all occasions

[email protected]

www.beyondbeads.co.uk
          www.myspace.com/beyondbeads

Comment

Uni...

...I've just been looking at a map of Bath. I hadn't thought of the Uni.

You think shoppers would trek up to the Uni in the Winter? I'll enquire about it if you think we'd get the cutomers. Would need to be in termtime though, even if it's still on a Saturday.

Jules
            Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Where are the tea rooms? Are they what I know the Pump Rooms as - attached to the Roman Baths? If it is, I know £1,300 is a bit of an *ouch* but you'd get a lot of foot traffic - it's right slap-bang in the centre of Bath - right next to the Abbey.

I know Bath do a Christmas market for a week so if you do consider Bath, make sure it doesn't coincide with then.

Don't know about the Uni as a venue, it is a bit off the shopping-route, plus that end of town is all knocked down at the moment because they're rebuilding the bus-station and Marchant's Passage.

I still think it might be worth contacting the council and seeing if they would let you hire en-masse all their "wheelbarrow" pitches and putting them in the Abbey courtyard.
              Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Tea Room...

...is next to the Guild Hall, or in it. £1300+ VAT per day divided amongst say 40 stallholders, plus advertising costs would be about £85 each. If we didn't get a full hall we'd be lumbered with the rest of the costs......that could be painful. At Christmas time, I'd be having kittens...

I know there's the Christmas Market, but those traders pay hugemungous amounts, and not everyone can afford that...if we were to take the Tea Room, then other crafters would get a chance. I think there's enough custom for both.

The Uni's out as their Bursar was terribly snotty with me today. I'm waiting for the town clerks of Tetbury and Malmesbury to get back to me. Marlborough is very full at Christmas, but I might book it now for next summer & Christmas.

The poor lady at Melksham was very disappointed that I didn't take the Sept 1st date. She says craft fairs are popular there.

Jules
                Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Jules - I've done a google search on the Guildhall and have established whereabouts it is now.

A few things I would say :

Although it's not "off the beaten track" in Bath, the location of the Guildhall is what I would call "round the back" of Bath. Opposite are loads of bus stops so you get queues of local people waiting for their buses, but it's not generally on the tourist or shopper's route. It's right next door to the indoor market, so you would get passing traffic that way and just round the corner is the library. Bath does get very busy (as you can imagine) in the lead up to Christmas, but this part is mostly where buses go. Most people are going to Marks & Spencer, Next, Monsoon etc, which are all located in a big long pedestrianised stretch. The guildhall is within walking distance, but not within sight of this area. It's not near any car-parks either.

In my humble opinion - If you were going to spend that kind of money on a venue in Bath consider the pump rooms. It's slap bang in the centre of Bath, right in the Abbey courtyard and attached to the Roman Baths. You'd get both tourists (obviously the tourist season is a bit quieter at Christmas time, but there nonetheless) and shoppers alike.

There are some piccies of the pump rooms at this site :

http://www.bathvenues.co.uk/

Hope I've given you something to think about as it's quite a financial commitment!
                  Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Bath...

I think i've mentioned before about a weekend i had in bath last year i think it was in sept/oct time...
                    It was absolutely jam packed with coach trips 500 coaches visited on the day we went it's all christmas shopping trips....
                    You could rope some unsuspecting family member into standing at the coach park which is right near the town and giving them leaflets to tell them about the fair...
                    If you were feeling really ambitious you could chat up the coach drivers and get them to take the tourists to the fair (depending where it was if they could park)
                    Thay do that in Germany, the coaches stop off at various places and all the tourists go in spend their money/stretch their legs (it was a chocolate factory in my case) then the coach drivers usually get something out of it... um like a voucher or something to make it worth their while.....
                    http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jellybelly*jellybrain View Post
                      Jules - I've done a google search on the Guildhall and have established whereabouts it is now.

Hope I've given you something to think about as it's quite a financial commitment!
                      I've got the location wrong...it IS next to the Pump Rooms, or in them, whichever.

I can't book it though...they want the whole amount up front. I can't put a deposit down and pay the balance nearer the date

Would have been a huge risk....
                      Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Right Jules I am fed up with this. I feel left out you will need to organise something North of the border - come on I am dying to meet you all!!!

Cheers.

Lisa
                        Bowed Over
                        Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                        www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

I'd Love to....

Originally posted by candles by lisa View Post
                          Right Jules I am fed up with this. I feel left out you will need to organise something North of the border - come on I am dying to meet you all!!!

I really would love to do something in Glasgow...the only venue I can think of is probably not even there now...Treron Galleries. It was a bit of a dive 20 years ago....

So then, where? How about renting the Hall at Boclair? Jings, they'd throw me out.... Any way...you could do it! I'll help.

Jules
                          Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

What a pain! Looks like Bath's out then? What about a hotel or something?

I looked into the christmas market its £1,500 for a stall at that for a week!!

Laura
                            Beyond Beads
                            Handmade Beaded Jewellery for all occasions

[email protected]

www.beyondbeads.co.uk
                            www.myspace.com/beyondbeads

Comment

Originally posted by BeyondBeads View Post
                              What a pain! Looks like Bath's out then? What about a hotel or something?

I looked into the christmas market its £1,500 for a stall at that for a week!!

Laura
                              Gosh - it's gone up since last year - I enquired and it was £1,300 for the week.
                              Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X