Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simply christmas Harrogate?

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone else exhibited at the Simply Christmas exhibition this last weekend and was wondering how you got on? What was your thoughts?
    Not sure if anyone remembers that I posted a thread previously asking for advise as to whether or not I should exhibit.....well I did.
    Having gone with no expectations or previous experience of a large scale exhibition event I thoroughly enjoyed it. It has certainly given me a taste for the more larger type events such as Living North and Country Living.
    After taking into consideration the cost of the stand, petrol to and from, cost of materials etc I did actually make a profit. Not a huge profit but a profit nevertheless and I've also had some website sales yesterday and today too. Hopefully that has been on the back of the exhibition.

On reflection of the event though I found it to be badly organised, not from the office staff as they were helpful but more so on site and the days when stands were put and broken down. On the Thurs some people had to queue nearly 2 n half hours to wait to get to the back doors to unload. Some exhibitors had left by the end of the Saturday, with one day left to go as people weren't spending and they weren't recovering their costs. Which was a shame as it left plenty of empty stands for the public to walk around on the sunday and didn't reflect well on the event.
    There was also talk of trading standards and some companies sueing as they felt the events company had mis represented the event.
    I understand that people had paid an awful lot of money for the stands, and yes, the event may have been in a more affluent area but at the end of the day we are currently in a recession and you can't force people to spend their money.
    Would I do the event again next year? Yes, I probably would, provided some aspects were to be improved. With it being in it's first year I would imagine they would have teething problems but I would hope that they would be ironed out by the following year, for it to only get better as each year went by.
    That's if that company is still trading by next year?!!!
    All in all, it has been a huge learning curve and a great experience.
    Website; www.hannimaydesigns.co.uk
    Blog; www.hannimaydesigns.blogspot.com
    Folksy; www.folksy.com/shops/HanniMayDesigns

Thanks for feeding back your experiences to us. It's always useful and interesting to see how people got on.

Glad you made a profit - and let's hope you see an upturn in web sales too.
    digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
    blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
    hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
    blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

Oh no, I am really sorry to hear that it wasn't good for you either. But £2000. Gosh, that sounds excessive?! IS that the norm for the large shows? I must admit I did get a reduction in price, but my stand was 3 x 1 m and it wasn't reduced my that much. But when I was booking the girl had said that I had to hurry and book up as spaces were going. Then to be told by a couple who had a stand near me that they had booked their stand 2 days before the event and had paid next to nothing for it.
      I presume you had quite a large space? Did you stay the full duration or pack up early as well?
      Can I ask which hall you were in? I was in the last hall at the back, think it was hall B near the coffee shop/canteen area.
      I didn't get a chance to walk around as I was on my own most of the time but I did hear the in Hall's A and C there was hardly any room for customers to walk around as the aisles were too small.
      And I thought it was supposed to be a winter wonderland? Only thing I saw were lots and lots of fairy lights strung up over the top of the stands?
      It was such a shame as it could have been a much better event and poor Gaelle from events company tried her best but it didn't look good when people were complaining and the the company owner's were in the boardroom upstairs drinking cappuccino's not coming down to talk to people to sorth things out (or so I heard!!). Extremely bad form!!!
      As mentioned before I didn't have any expectations with it being my first large show, but it has certainly opened my eyes and I will only be booking with established events in the future.

Comment

Thank you to all of you for sharing your experiences, I think it is very important as it helps everyone to decide or not to participate to a craft fair. It gives a good insight of what is going on.
        Cécile
        www.minxybags.co.uk
        www.minxybags.blogspot.com
        http://www.folksy.com/shops/minxybags

Comment

heard on the grapevine that this company has gone bust since this eventbut this could just be a rumour...

Comment

Yeah, I heard something along those lines while I was there. There were hushed rumours of stand holders getting together to take legal action but someone said they wouldn't be able to get a penny back from them as they were going into liquidation on the Monday after the event.
            And it seems as if there website has gone down........

Comment

Working...
            X