All in a Name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All in a Name?

I've just had an email from a friend, who did a craft fair yesterday (not one of mine) and got chatting to some craft fair regulars.

At this craft fair, it came up in conversation that the word 'craft' is not at all popular with the public. Apparently, 'gift fairs' attract more people...'craft fairs' discourage them....why?

To my mind, 'gift fairs' suggests all sorts of things for sale, including the mass produced cheap imports.....it doesn't suggest high quality handcrafted goods.

What do you think about this? Opinions please.

Jules
    Apple Tree Crafts
    www.appletreecraftfairs.com

My Opinon...

...is that the term 'Gift' rather than 'craft' attracts not necessarily more customers but definatly more of the 'right sort' of customers....
    meaning people who actually want to buy things and are not just out for the day to get ideas from other crafters.
    Craft Fairs attract people who are just out for the day for a wander about to fill time.
    Gift fairs attract people who are going out to buy things.
    I really do think it's physcolgical. Gift fairs just make people want to buy stuff more....
    The other thing is that Gift Fairs that are put on in the evening in my experience stalls do a lot better, not sure why that is...
    http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hmmm....

....food for thought.

How then, to promote handcrafted items at a Gift Fair? One would have to publicise heavily the 'handmade' element...I will not have the mass produced cr*p, I really just will not tolerate it (puts soapbox away, quickly)

ICG - I do see what you mean...especially the headology bit.

I feel this is very important so keep it coming everyone!

Jules
      Apple Tree Crafts
      www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

Interesting...

I suppose you could promote an event as being a Handmade Gift Fair???
        Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

The one thing that says a 'fair' has bought in items is the word 'gift'. In my experience, 'craft fairs' are just that - handmade, 'craft & gift fairs' and 'art & craft fairs' are free for alls - anything is allowed if it looks crafty! I would steer away from the 'gift' word - that's where people go for 'country' items..................made in china.

How about 'designer' fair?

Comment

My twopence worth 'Designer craft fair' ??
            Debbie
            www.thesilverzebra.co.uk

Contemporary glass fusion designs - sculptures - wall panels - functional items - outdoor sculptures. We also run Silver & Glass workshops here in Cheshire - kiln space also offered.

Comment

It's true...

When people see 'craft fairs', they would think it's kind of old-fashioned.

'Art & Craft Fairs', 'Designer Craft Fairs' or 'Art & Design Fairs' can imply these fairs would be highly original and more art / design focused.

I think this is just playing words but effective if you are aiming at upmarket.
              hammo

London Crafts Girls
              http://hammonat.blog94.fc2.com/

ArtUK.com
              http://www.artuk.com/artists/hammo

Comment

I like 'Art & Design Fair', although does that suggest it will be more of an Art Fair? What about Art, Design and Craft Fair' or is that going too far down the 'Craft Fair' route again???
                Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Art & Design Fair's been done. Take lots of money and look out for Damien and Tracey!

Comment

Originally posted by peter View Post
                    Art & Design Fair's been done. Take lots of money and look out for Damien and Tracey!
                    Huh??? Sorry, can you explain that, I am lost!!!??
                    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by katian_krafts View Post
                      Huh??? Sorry, can you explain that, I am lost!!!??
                      Damien hurst Tracy emin!
                      Debbie
                      www.thesilverzebra.co.uk

Contemporary glass fusion designs - sculptures - wall panels - functional items - outdoor sculptures. We also run Silver & Glass workshops here in Cheshire - kiln space also offered.

Comment

Just because you have the word Gift

It dosn't mean that you have to have the cheap 'tat' from China...
                        I mean you are in charge of who gets a stall so it's up to you who gets in, isn't it?
                        You could always call it a 'Handcrafted Gifts' Fair.
                        I really do think that it's about getting the right customers through the doors - people who are out to spend money!! and it's sad to say it but in my experience (and a lot of people i know) people do go to 'craft fairs' to get ideas for themselves...) come on we are all guilty of it....
                        Last edited by icecreamgirl; 09-04-2007, 07:55 PM.
                        http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

I like the word designer with any other craft, art gift etc as we are all designers in our own rights and this kind of makes it sound like a modern craft fair.
                          Joanne

Comment

Originally posted by zebra View Post
                            Damien hurst Tracy emin!
                            Sorry - slipped back into 'artist' mode!

Comment

I think the problem is that we know what a 'Craft Fair' is cos we are crafters but the general public don't necessarily have the same idea.

When we started doing craft fairs I had lots of friends say things along the lines of 'full of homemade jam made by old ladies' and I think a lot of people equate 'craft' with 'old fashioned' and if people don't come along we can't change their preconceptions.

I like the idea of 'gift & craft fair' and as someone said Jules you can dictate who gets stalls, maybe even add the word 'quality' to the front of it to deter the tat.

Putting the word 'Design' or 'Designer' in the title personally would put me off visiting as it says to me 'expensive' but they may just be me.

Anyway, thats my tuppence worth
                              Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Working...
                              X