hoping things get better!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hoping things get better!

I've done two fairs this week. The first, there were about 10 stalls, and about 20 people (half of which were kids!) Through the doors. I took £6 above table costs. Second fair seemed like it could be good...about 50 goiod quality stalls. Then about 40/50 people though the door! Took £4.50 all night! Real dissapointment! I'm a bit worries cos I've got about another 10 events booked before christmas! Half tempted. To cancel lots of them! Sorry to sound depressive just feel a bit fed up from last night!

Btw...sorry about spelling mistakes...typing on my phone which is harder anyway and then it won't let me edit...annoying!

Comment

I hope things pick up for you - I am sure your events nearer Christmas will be better.

Jane
      www.just-soaps.com
      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
      FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

So sorry things have been slow for you, I have given up on fairs for the rest of the year, apart from one local and am concentrating on the party plan instead. Not easy atm and no sales seems to be becoming a theme.

Good Luck

Comment

Sounds extremely poor on footfall, leading to poor sales. Did the Fair get properly advertised?

Failing to properly advertise an event is practically unforgivable, as you are in essence cheating your stall holders.

Best wishes
          David

Comment

Over the last couple of months myself and 'er indoors have been browsing local fairs "Cheshire". With the intention of booking a couple if there were any vacancies. After chatting with a few stall holders at each event we have given up for now, assuming we're all being truthful most didn't even make enough to cover their costs. One or two said it was OK but where having second thoughts about doing more.

I have been marketing my pieces for a couple of years now and things are definitely slowing down, but at least I haven't sat at a stall all day for peanuts. Think i'll be sticking with the sale or return on my shops for now.

Guess the only people making anything in this climate is possibly the organizer and the venue owners.

Shame really, let's just hope things do get better, they can't get much worse. Can they?
            regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

I have a 'room' at a local antiques/collectables place where I sell furniture, china, collectables, etc and appx 3 years ago purchased a spinning card rack to display/sell my cards. Bouyed on by its success, I rented a 'wall space' which was ideal for my card display and up to 2 - 3 months ago it was doing very well. However,r the last couple of months it has been very disappointing - not only not covering the cost of materials, but not covering the rent. So have made the decision to give up the wall space at the end of this year and use my 'room' to sell from - am sad having to do this, but needs must.

Like all crafters I check out the ready made goods on a regular basis and am always (almost) gob-smacked at the prices chain stores, supermarkets, etc charge for so-called handmade cards. Wish I had the courage to approach a supermarket and ask them to sell mine.

I have an optimistic outlook on life, and am always sure things will improve! Fingers crossed.
              One craft project, like one cookie, is never enough!

http://christmaspiecrafts.blogspot.com/
              Twitter: @jillspain
              http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChristmasPieCrafts

Comment

my daughters have, since april when it started, being doing a market in oxford, I think only once have they made even the stand fee. Outdoors even, it has been so badly attended by both visitors and stallholders that the organisers have said that the stalls can be free till christmas, even so standing in the inclement weather selling nowt is not fun.

We are organising 2 this christmas and I have done my utmost with advertising, posters, local radio, internet sites, etc. I dont know what else to do to advertise, I can only hope that the gp do turn up. I honestly think that part of the trouble is that for whatever reasons, and I am not critising anyone, peeps have to do what they feel is right, but I do think that the standard of a lot of so called craft fairs has gone down, in that, franchises, books, bought in items have devalued the good genuine craft fairs in that people are fed up with going to 'fairs' and finding items that can be bought in any chain store or similar.

I have no wish to offend anyone by this observation, as I said peeps have to do what they think is right, but honesty in advertising what you are holding would be a great benefit, a craft fair should be just that and what is wrong with the word market, indoor market even. advertising a variety of stuff so that peeps know where they are

Going to have coffee now Ive st the craft scene to rights LOL

Jenn

Comment

Spot on, 100%.

In the same way that the influx of "collectables", repro and fakes blighted the Antiques Fairs, letting in franchises, selling agencts, bought in, and absolute rubbish which has been poorly "assembled" from mass-produced hobby supplies has devalued Craft Fairs.

If your event is genuinely about real crafts by real crafts people, you have to make that clear in the promotion and advertising and hope that it is understood by the public.

If to fill the space organisers drop standards, they do the real crafts people no favours. Better to cancel or downsize, reduce or drop the admission charge, and keep faith with both sides.

Best wishes
                  David

Comment

The first 2 craft fairs I attended were really dissappointing but then at the third I did really well. It definately depends on the fair, how well it is advertised, how long it has been established, where it is located etc. Research the fairs by searching on this site. Chances are someone has been to it before and you'll get a feel for what it's like.

Trouble is the good fairs are often over subscribed well in advance, especially for cards and jewellery. It's a case of getting on a waiting list or booking several months, even a year, ahead. There's an amazing fair just down the road from us and despite personal reccommendations from other crafters at the fair there is just no space available for jewellery until mid-next year.

Not covering stall costs is disheatening but you can get more out of fairs than sales. Speak to other crafters for advice about fairs they go to, look at their stalls to pick up display tips, discuss website providers and marketing, handout business cards, find out where they got their banners etc. Every time we do a fair I find myself picking up a good idea.
                    `Unique paper and silver jewellery inspired by the Japanese art of Origami`

Website
                    Facebook fan page
                    Blog
                    Twitter

Comment

I fully agree with Jenn about the slip in quality of many craft fairs.

I do a couple of 'maker only' fairs which are a real welcome relief to both the stallholders and visitors alike - not bought in tat & mass-produced stuff that can be picked up for a pittance, thus putting the rest of us who have put blood, sweat and tears into our work. The organisers of these shows also put a limit on the total number of each craft so there isn't a glut of any one thing. It is a real joy to have visitors muttering pleasant comments as they walk around, rather than being in a grumpy mood because they are seeing rubbish on stall after stall with a few genuinely handcrafted stalls dotted around struggling to get ourselves noticed!

Let's pray that more organisers get the message that quality pays and we can all benefit from more proper CRAFT fairs.

Hmm - I feel better now.....
                      Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
                      Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
                      Follow me on Twitter:
                      @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

I agree, it can be so disheartening when you see cheap underpriced tat masquerading as genuine crafts.

However the last couple of small local events I attended were good for sales and contacts and I am finding that my one day mosaic courses are in demand. I already have people lined up for the next one in Feb just by word of mouth and as repeat students so it's not all doom and gloom.

Jay. (still looking for another stall holder for 13th Nov in Raunds, see my post under craft fairs).

Comment

Dorett Events

This last weekend was spent in Maidstone, at a craft fayre organised by Dorett Events. It was appalling. I would advise people to think very carefully before booking with this lady. Advertising was extremely poor; footfall even worse. Of course, you can't force people to buy your stuff but you do need people through the door in order to try to force them to buy your stuff!!

I wish I had "googled" this company before I booked this fayre as I made huge losses and am now in debt. Clare Dorett said she had not made any profit and seemed incapable of understanding that most of the stall holders did not make any profit, in fact, had made losses. All the "blurb" she sent out about advertising was not followed through- there was no banner outside the venue for the two weeks before the event- it went up on the second day; a stallholder phoned the local radio station and got them to advertise- it was free- and this resulted in us having some customers on the Sunday. She advertised in one paper- not "papers" as stated but not the Friday before the actual event. There were very few road signs- I saw more for the persian carpet blowout sale...She charged 2 pounds admission, not 1.50 as stated.

Clare never introduced herself nor spoke to me directly. She showed no sympathy with stallholders. I believe she is making money at our expense. Please think very carefully- how is it possible that, if she is such a nice person, this keeps happening again and again? Her poor advertising seemes to rear its ugly head again and again. I am very upset by this experience and do believe that Clare Dorett is misrepresenting herself by her claims.

Comment

Thank you so much for your comments which have now been forwarded to our Solicitors.
                            Clare
                            Dorett Events
                            [email protected]

Comment

see why does this site have to be so personal towards people all the time, your just gonna get sued its as simple as really.

have just read this thread and i agree disagree with the number of points.

1 - stands slipping - nope if you go to a big properly organised event the standard of CRAFT is high. yeah you get aloe vera and all that nonsense but when visiting a show look past them and look back at the actual crafts that were there they are high.

2 - cheshire shows - big mistake on that one, i would never ask a stall holder how the shows are going, there is average of 50 - 60 stalls at the big garden centre ones i do, and i guarentee if i ask ten of them how the shows are doing they will say appauling, just think is your product right in that area, would it sell well anywhere, do people need / want it. Its a recession some will suffer. took me 5 shows before i made my first profit, i stuck with it though and the do work, as long as your a proper crafte r/ artist and look past the bought in stalls.

3- dorret events - organisers try there hardest to get people through the door, ive done shows where the organiser has been on the street corner giving out leaflets, ive done shows that have spent £1000s on advertising and still only 400 people have turned up, i personally think to say it was appauling and name the organiser is wrong, i would have contacted the organiser and said something like attendance was poor at the last show is there any way we can boost it by helping? maybe?. alot of hard work goes into fairs and im sure these are no different, its back to my point you pay £25 ish for a stall (not knowing the stall fees you paid)what do you expect in the way of advertising? if you all paid an extra tenner you could have a larger advertising budget, but then the organiser would be in a no win situation as everyone would moan they are to expensive. CLARE i sympathise with you.

Comment

Working...
                              X