Advice needed :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed :D

I know i have only just joined the forum and don't want to bug you all straight away, but wanted a little bit of advice as i am trying to get ready for my first craft stall. I make a variety of items (never have been good at sticking to one thing alone )

Basically i wondered if anyone could give me an indication as to how many of each i should make/take to the stall. I know its better to have more, and i will obviously make as many as i can, but kinda wanted a rough idea from you lovely people

I make
    cards (everyday and christmas)
    keyrings (little felt sewn ones)
    brooches (felt and/or buttons)
    christmas decorations (5 designs felt sewn ones)
    hair accessories (headbands, clips, slides)

erm.....not sure about what else but i'm sure i'll let you know

Thanks for any advice as i really am new to this and quite nervous!!

Thanks again
    Helen
    X

If I were you I would split the two, I'd have some fairs you do selling just your cards and some selling your accessories - just a thought as you might find that, like jewellery, spaces for card sellers fills so quickly that you'll miss the opportunity to sell all your other bits because you've been declined selling cards
    www.lucyliz.co.uk
    Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...99555560065251
    Blog: http://lucy-liz.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: @lucy_liz

Comment

Thanks for that I am lucky in that i have already managed to book 4 that will allow me to sell my cards and accessories together. I will think about that in the future though, especially as my stock increases as i keep making stuff

Thanks for the reply

Comment

Hi where in the country are you please,as im organising a craft fair in northants area,

Comment

I live in Hitchin, Herts. Don't know how far it would be from me though - whereabouts in Northants? x

Comment

Originally posted by pickles_mum View Post
            Thanks for that I am lucky in that i have already managed to book 4 that will allow me to sell my cards and accessories together. I will think about that in the future though, especially as my stock increases as i keep making stuff

Thanks for the reply
            If you can get into places selling both then obviously that's the better option for you, having two lots of stock just gives you a plan B if you're declined cards.

Good luck!
            www.lucyliz.co.uk

Comment

As a cardmaker myself I have found that its best to have cards & other goodies because that way you will get more people stopping to look. A lot of people at craft fairs don't even notice card stalls & just go straight past but hopefully more of a selection will make them stop & hopefully buy.

The point about being able to still do a fair if they are already full for cards is a good one too - I have done a couple recently where I only had a small basket of cards but lots of knitted mobile/ipod cosies & knitted brooches and a few other bits and did very well.
              JOIAS DESIGNS

Comment

I just sell cards at craft fairs and I've noticed that if people don't want cards then they just wander past and don't even look. I was hopeful that when they see cards it may remind them that they need one for so and so's birthday next week.... doesn't happen very often. I have thought about maybe adding to the cards but if I do that thenwhat do I say my product is when applying for stalls? I've thought about maybe having card making supplies on my stall as well as made up cards.... would this be "allowed" at craft fairs?
                Katherine
                Made With Love Designs
                Handmade Greetings Cards

Folksy Shop
                "LIKE" on Facebook
                Follow on Twitter

Comment

You could just put 'handmade cards and xxxxxxx' and if you think it's unclear from that one sentence then send a cover letter/email with your application with a couple of lines about what your stall consists of
                  www.lucyliz.co.uk

Comment

I have started to do cards plus other things. I always send an email to fairs telling them what I have and asking what would I be allowed to put on my stall and that way noone can moan when I have a variety of stuff out. If its a gift fair I sometimes sell glass pendants alongside my cards but as there are generally a lot of jewellery makers out there i am especially careful about this as mine are not handmade glass so I always let them know this. Be prepared for some glares from other stalls if you are selling a variety of items but I feel that its very hard at the moment to just sell cards and make it worthwhile.
                    www.safimelcardsandpendants.co.uk

Comment

card selling a few tips.

Hi fellow crafters
                      Im fairly new to this too
                      Only have done last christmas...

I would say that make sure the table has lots of variety.
                      height, colour etc.
                      Last year I sold just cards - i was very new to it.
                      I laid my cards down flat and even though I made enough to cover the table, I struggled to get people to come and look at the table.
                      a standing card stand is a must.
                      there are 2 types of people in this world:
                      1, the type to love a bargin, rummage in a box / basket and explore. The type that if they saw all the cards in a stand they wouldnt touch them as they make thing ' there just for dispaly - and have been displayed well, I shouldnt look or touch them...'

Then theres type 2, The kind not to wish to 'rummage' but pick a few that they saw at eye level walking past that they can spin the dispaly stand and browse for a few more...

thats just me.

I always sell a proprtion of my card to charity...
                      I know its awful but charity sells. so to speak. If people feel there getting something from it, and giving me back - theres double reason to buy.

I will have a sign saying: for example: 25p for every card wil be donated too..........

and a little bit about the charity (ring the charity up for a few pamplets / info / donation box)
                      that way make them a bit pricer but it make them feel good...

I always have a bargin box for cards.
                      some all dontations go to charity, just to draw them to the table.

Now however I make jewlerry alongside the cards.
                      This ads a new dimension as people see a gift / a box and oh ' @ I might as well get the card here too '
                      done and dusted!

just a few thoughts
                      thanks
                      ruthy x x

Comment

Are you the famous (i say famous because ive heard of you lol) Pickles mum I would know from the blogosphere????
                        Last edited by MissSearles; 21-10-2009, 05:14 PM.
                        www.MissSearles.co.uk
                        http://misssearles.blogspot.com
                        MissSearles...blogger, creator & crafter, budding entreprenuer and reporter for Longpier.com

Comment

Originally posted by MissSearles View Post
                          Are you the famous (i say famous because ive heard of you lol) Pickles mum I would know from the blogosphere????
                          Erm.......no! I don't even know what blogosphere is!!! Should i change my name?!?!?!

Hx

Comment

Ahh my mistake sorry.

I know a blog called the Return of Pickles mum and just assumed you were the same person!

http://picklesmum.blogspot.com/

I dont think you need to change your name, as far as i can tell from her blog she doesnt use it as a business name.

MissSearles
                            x
                            www.MissSearles.co.uk
                            http://misssearles.blogspot.com
                            MissSearles...blogger, creator & crafter, budding entreprenuer and reporter for Longpier.com

Comment

Working...
                            X