Hypothetical Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical Question...

Ok, if you were looking at exhibiting your craft, lets say, in a huge marquee, on the manicured lawn of a castle (a big one) where celebrites had recently married......

.....how much would you be prepared to pay per day, bearing in mind huge visitor numbers, glamourous venue etc etc?

Ssshhh....can't say anymore

Jules
    Apple Tree Crafts
    www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Tell me more.....!!!

Ooooh!!! No idea Jules but will be keeping an eye out for more posts about this. Sounds interesting!!!
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Tree Crafts View Post
      Ok, if you were looking at exhibiting your craft, lets say, in a huge marquee, on the manicured lawn of a castle (a big one) where celebrites had recently married......

.....how much would you be prepared to pay per day, bearing in mind huge visitor numbers, glamourous venue etc etc?

Ssshhh....can't say anymore

Jules
      ! no idea? rough guess at 100-150 a day!
      incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
      ___

Comment

You Personally...

...what would YOU want to pay, not what would you expect to be charged?

I'm waiting on someone getting back to me, with their charges, and any input from you guys to help me judge a fair price would be greatly appreciated.

Jules
        Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Tree Crafts View Post
          ...what would YOU want to pay, not what would you expect to be charged?

I'm waiting on someone getting back to me, with their charges, and any input from you guys to help me judge a fair price would be greatly appreciated.

Jules
          £30-40 ? But haven't done fairs, only looked at doing them!! so am not sure about costs!!
          incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
          ___

Comment

Ok here's guessing per table. Craft fairs are say between £10 and £80, wedding fairs prob between £100 and £200, bead fairs between £60 to £100, big fairs like at the NEC/Gmex prob around £200, so my guess for your castle is well between £100 and £200.
            Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Also, remember to take into account how many days the craft fair is for. A charge of £150 say may seem a lot, but if the fair is for 3 days, then that is only £50 per day.
              Most of my experience is in the Yorkshire area, but to say prices of around £40-£60 per day are average, would probably not be too far from the truth.
              Hope that helps a bit
              Mary
              www.somata.co.uk
              www.stitchnglass.co.uk
              www.gemstoneboutique.co.uk
              www.somata-pmc.co.uk

Comment

Not What I meant...

What I'm asking is how much, all of you, as crafters would be prepared to pay?

What would be too much, even for a prestigious place like a castle?

Would you think that paying too little, say £30, for a stall at a castle craft fair would mean it wasn't very good? Would you be suspicious?

What price would you feel was a fair price to pay?

I'd like to know what you think, I'm not paying to have a stall, I'm the one being offered the venue....but I need to do this with all of your input so I can get it right.

Jules
                Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

i think it all depends on the advertising and number of visitors expected - not the venue, however glamorous it is. If its not advertised well then it makes no difference whether its in a castle or a tiny village hall.

One of my best fairs is in a local church hall and its only £15 per table, but its gets a great turnout every year and I always come home with plenty of money (probably spoke too soon now!).

I would be prepared to pay more money if I knew it was going to get a good turnout - in the thousands. I think £30-40 per day per table is a fair rate, more than that is getting expensive unless the fair is established and known to do well.
                  Liz

EA Cards and Crafts
                  Huge choice of papercraft, jewellery and wedding products! Full papercrafts catalogue available.
                  www.eacardsandcrafts.co.uk

Comment

I am doing a 'fin day'event at Bowood House on 2nd Sept. They are having a craft marquee and a table there is £35, which I thought sounded very reasonable. The evnt has run previously and attracted 10,000 plus visitors. I understand that big venues mean higher priced tables, but as I am just starting off, am reluctant to pay a lot of money for a stall as it would take me forever to get that back through sales. So £30 - 40 would attract me, and I wouldn't worry about the event not being any good (esp. as you are organising it Jules and I know it will be very well advertised). But then again I have no idea how much these places are to hire and how much you need to cover this cost?
                    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Hi Jules,

I think it depends also what is going to be on the grounds with you. Will it just be yourselves doing the craft fair or will there be other entertainment?

The reason I say this is I was tempted last year by the Bearsden and Milngavie Highland Games, it has a huge turn out of roughly 60000 and as you may know is very wll advertised. It cost me £50 for one day for the table. However as it was a highland games there were numerous tents, covering loads of different things (the beer tent of course was the most popular) and tons of outside carnival type attractions (as well as the actual games themselves). However it cost £10 for a family of 4 to get in, then if you take it the kids want fed and watered and to play on the rides there isn't a log of spare cash for craft. I ended up making a grand total of £55 that day.

On a positive note though if it would just we Appletree Crafts you would be onto a winner!!! Wish I could come to that one!!

Hope this helps Jules.

All the best.

Lisa
                      Bowed Over
                      Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                      www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

I've never done a craft fair but and because i only make handmade cards i would need to sell an awful lot to get back the stall fee. But in saying that if the crafts i made were more lucrative i would be willing to pay between £40-50. Are you going to have different size stalls? Although i have no experience in this are you going to charge more for 'prime spots' e.g stalls near the entrance etc, as if i was after a good position i would be willing to pay that bit more.
                        Emma
                        Luxury craft supplies & magnolia Stamps - Sassy Crafts
                        Sassy Crafts Blog
                        My Blog

Comment

Thanks...

.....keep the input coming.

The people who run the events at this castle have approached us to do a craft fair. I need to know what everyone thinks, so I can negociate a fair deal.

I'm not fond of locations who overestimate their importance. What's important are the crafts being seen (and bought) by the public, and more importantly, crafters being able to attend without breaking the bank.

I know the cost reflects the location, but in somewhere like Taunton, this is different - 19,000 people are already there! At a stately home, you have to get the people through the gates first...

Anyway, it's all hush hush just now, but I'll keep you all posted!

Jules
                          Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Hi Jules,

Sounds lovely!

As a small business I generally can't afford to pay more then £30 for a table if I'm to stand any chance of recovering costs (let alone making a profit!). You also have to bear in mind crafters travel costs if you are picking an 'out of the way' location.

I would be willing to pay up to about £50 for the right venue though.

The trouble with these lovely venues is that small crafters who are just starting out are priced out of the market. There's no way someone like me could pay between £100 - £200 for a table at a one day event. I'd probably make a loss.

Laura
                            Beyond Beads
                            Handmade Beaded Jewellery for all occasions

[email protected]

www.beyondbeads.co.uk
                            www.myspace.com/beyondbeads

Comment

I'm still working up to my first carft fair so for me it would be an unknown risk doing ANY fair. For that reason I would have to set a max of £40-£50 a day for a table.

I have the details for the Cheshire show, which is of course massive, over 20,000 visitors i think. It has loads of other events etc... but a table there costs £180 for two days.

I don't think this unreasonable for such a big high profile event. Cheshire show is massively advertised and promoted, must be one of the biggest shows during the summer up here.

I think that I would be more confident paying more for a larger show, even with many other attractions vying for punters pennies, that is well advertised and will have guaranteed numbers of people passing my stall.

Just my twopenneth!
                              Steve
                              Handmade woodcrafts - relaunching soon.
                              www.kipperworkshops.com[COLOR=Blue]
                              Best range of wooden craft shapes and cutouts.[SIZE=2]

Comment

Working...
                              X