Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craft Fair Organisation -Advice Please

Hi All,

Every year, my children's school organises a craft fair which is normally well attended and regarded as successful by all.

This year, I have volunteered to organise it, but need a little advice on how to treat requests for stalls from competing traders all selling the same branded products (eg Phoenix Trading, Forever Living Products, etc).

On sending out invitations to traders who have had stalls in previous years, we have had a number of replies requesting that we give them exclusivity at this years event as a trader of XXX branded products.

In previous years, I understand that a system of first come, first served has been observed for traders who have declared that they are a branded goods traders, with the second and subsequent applications gracefully rejected.

My question is, what is normal practice as I am keen to be fair to traders but am concerned that we do not want to unfairly exclude. I am also concerned that whilst we have asked traders to describe their craft type on the stall order form, we will not always know that the applicant is a trader of XXX branded products and even if they do declare this, we will also not know if they plan to sell other products in addition.

All experience, thoughts and suggestions warmly welcomed.

Ive never organised any but there are plenty of people on here with experience who i'm sure will help....
    I would think though that you have to do a 'first come first served' system with regard to each 'type' of product as on previous experience if you have a lot of the same product then everyone, gets the hump. Stall holders won't like too many of their type of product there and it's boring for the public. One bad year like that and the reputation will go down the pan...
    Can i just have a small moan about the fact that you are calling it a craft fair but obviously you are having a lot of Bought in products (pheonix cards etc) These are not crafts. Why don't you call it a gift fair or smething similar?
    About people selling other stuff than they have declared, has this happened in the past? You did say that the fairs have been very success full so not sure why you would suddenly be worried about that, but you can always ask people for photos of their product.
    http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by icecreamgirl View Post
      Ive never organised any but there are plenty of people on here with experience who i'm sure will help....
      I would think though that you have to do a 'first come first served' system with regard to each 'type' of product as on previous experience if you have a lot of the same product then everyone, gets the hump. Stall holders won't like too many of their type of product there and it's boring for the public. One bad year like that and the reputation will go down the pan...
      Can i just have a small moan about the fact that you are calling it a craft fair but obviously you are having a lot of Bought in products (pheonix cards etc) These are not crafts. Why don't you call it a gift fair or smething similar?
      About people selling other stuff than they have declared, has this happened in the past? You did say that the fairs have been very success full so not sure why you would suddenly be worried about that, but you can always ask people for photos of their product.

I absolutately agree with the above, a first come, first served basis within a product type is the best way to go, from my limited experience as a stall holder people tend to move around a fair in one direction and if the see a product first they may buy and then the next stall holder selling this same item may miss out, a balance is needed with the products, customers and stall holders want to see variety.

Secondly, I agree that items such as Phoenix cards are not crafts and shouldn't be put across as so, I have been to fairs which are have had Phoenix cards and Usborne books etc. but are described as gift fairs, this way you aren't misleading the customers, or other stall holders who wont thank you if they are under the impression they are at a craft fair and arrive to see imported items which are not handmade or items which are mass produced, all of which will probably under cut them.

I have been to craft fairs where you were told in advance that if you are selling something other than you stated you will be asked to remove it, stallholders know where they stand in advance and if they do break your rules, you have a right to ask them to take their items off the stand.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps.
      Amanda
      xx

Comment

I agree with saying a gift fair covers you for non hand made goods.

I think with school fairs people expect slightly different from a crafts only fair. They expect the home backing, tombola, brik a brac stalls and the like.

Having said that I always do really well a school fairs due to the fact that the parents all want to support their school.

Hope this helps.

All the best.

Lisa
        Bowed Over
        Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
        www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Where?

Just out of interest, can I ask where you are holding your fair (in case it's near to me!)
          Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

I agree with everyone else. It has to be first come first served. You should also decide how many of each type of craft it would be fair to accept (based on hall size, expected footfall....) and stick to that on the same principal.

I actually think that in your case using the term 'gift' as oppsed to 'craft' might help to attract people that wouldn't have otherwise bothered. As a crafter, I am personally sick to death of 'craft' fairs full of mass produced items at low prices. If you promote it as a 'gift' fair then there is no danger of unhappy crafters!

Hope we've helped,
            Laura
            Beyond Beads
            Handmade Beaded Jewellery for all occasions

[email protected]

www.beyondbeads.co.uk
            www.myspace.com/beyondbeads

Comment

Working...
            X