Not self employed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not self employed...

Hey all, I have been doing glass painting as a hobby mainly for family and friends for over 10years now, ( I think everyone is sick of getting something painted for birthday's and christmas!)
    Recently someone suggested that I do a craft fair as I am accumilating lots of painted work~this seems like a good idea. I am aware of the need for insurance cover but how do I stand money wise as glass painting is merely a hobby and I have a full time job? How do I stand on extra earnings (if i make any lol!)
    Any advice would be more than welcome!

Rach
    Rach

If you make money from it then its a business and not a hobby...

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
    (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

I had a full time job and sold my jewellery as a hobby.You need to register with the IR, then once a year fill in a confusing form.Itl be a self assesment form and a self employed short form if you earn less than £34,000(I think) from your own business.
      https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

I had the very same question on another post. I'm only planning on doing one or two craft fairs as a hobby (have a LOT of extra beads hanging round and like you have managed to give gifts to everyone I know!) but everyone has said that you need to register with the Inland Revenue. Seems a lot of extra work! Especially considering that if you do something like a car boot sale to get rid of unwanted items you don't have to declare it - unless I have got it wrong and you do?!
        www.etsy.com/shop/katiesbeadboutique

Comment

A Car boot is considered ok as long as you have not bought items SPECIFICALLY to sell.....A clear out craft fair to get rid of personal items may seem ok, but the fact that you have enough to even consider a business venue such as a craft fair would been seen differently in the eyes of IR!!

If you have ever bought anything with selling in mind you are deemed as a business!
          Rach

Facebook
          Website
          Blog
          Folksy

Comment

Yep.. Car boot is only ok if you can prove that you are clearing out stuff e.g. doing once a year..

If you do one every week and are buying to sell on then its a business.

If you sold say some old beads this is likely to be fine but making the beads into a necklace then you are increasing it value thus making a profit thus = business.

IR had a massive crack down on ebay years ago as so many peeps were selling and not declaring...

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
            (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

I've also been at a craft fair where the IR came round and asked contact details of all sellers. Granted, it was about 20+ years ago, no idea if they still do it.

But they obviously do look out for people running businesses and not declaring them.

Don't forget if your business makes a loss, this could be offset against the tax you pay in your day job.
              digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
              blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
              hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
              blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post
                I've also been at a craft fair where the IR came round and asked contact details of all sellers. Granted, it was about 20+ years ago, no idea if they still do it.
                Yep they do, not so obvious though. That person picking up your business card could be a potential customer or there's the possibility it's someone from the IR
                Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

If you register , you are then legal even if your sales are zero, the sa form is very simple for smaller business and surely worth the trouble, think of the trouble you could get in if you were doing selling underhand, it really is not worth it. If caught and the case proved they could go for attachment of earnings, which would involve your employer, also any amounts paid into your bank account, eg birthday cheques/cash would have to be proved that they were gifts and not earnings. For the sake of a form and a bit of effort once a year this would out weigh the wrath of the IR.

Comment

Thanks all for your comments they have been most informative, I am not sure if my work would sell....I suppose there is always that worry...

thanks

Rach
                    Rach

Comment

Anyone have any idea how much you craft business can earn before they tax you? I had no idea that I needed to register with the IR!

Comment

I think is around the £6K mark (including you day job), but dont quote me!

I agree with other comments that best to register, as rather pay a little tax than face a hefty fine.

But you can register over the phone, and take minutes, plus our local tax office offers becoming self employed courses (one morning), and they are so used to seeing crafters, who have small businesses, and then later when you have to fill out the dreaded tax return form ,they offer a course for that too, all totally free.
                        Just done my course, and well worth a morning spent as learnt loads and doesnt seem such a minefield, plus everyone there was really helpful, and answered all my stupid questions, lol.

Comment

Working...
                        X