How much float?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much float?

Hi all - I'm going to my first craft fair tomorrow and think I've got everything ready. i've scanned the forum posts and picked up loads of tips, thank you. The only query is how much float do i take. I've rounded everything to 50p so I don't have loads of change, but am sure the first 2 people to (hopefully) buy something, will have £20 notes!

My standard float is £45 made up from:
    50p x 10.
    £1.00 x 25
    £5.00 x 1
    £10 x 1

A trip to the refreshment stall with a £5 or £10 usually gets me out of any scrapes!
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

excellent, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
        My standard float is £45 made up from:
        50p x 10.
        £1.00 x 25
        £5.00 x 1
        £10 x 1

A trip to the refreshment stall with a £5 or £10 usually gets me out of any scrapes!

I agree with above thats normally what my float is mde up of apart from I usually have 2 or 3 £5.00 so that if I give the one out I then dont have use all my pound coins up all in one go in change.

Good luck with fair
        www.cardsforewe.co.uk

Comment

I usually have 40 in float as well as a back up in my purse just in case! Like you everything is rounded up to a 50p, I have 3/4 £5 notes and the rest in £1 and 50ps. Ive found that a few £2 coins are helpful as it saves your £1 taking a battering. Have never come short yet. Good luck for your fair!!

Comment

It's always worth asking those who hand you the £20 if they have anything smaller. Often they are just handing you the note rather than sorting through their purses, pockets etc.
            full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
              It's always worth asking those who hand you the £20 if they have anything smaller. Often they are just handing you the note rather than sorting through their purses, pockets etc.
              I agree - it is amazing how many actually have the correct change if they look.
              Cynthia
              http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

I usually carry around £100, as I find lots of people hate getting pound coins in the change. So if it's a 20 or a tenner, I can always have fivers for the change. (usually in my wallet for security)
                www.derekhenderson.ifp3.com

Comment

My stuff is priced in multiples of 50p.
                  If my 'audience' is going to be mainly kids I take £30 in coins.
                  If it's a 'grown up' fair I take £50 - the £30 in coins and the extra in fivers.
                  If it's going to be longer than a one day event or it's one of my 'big' fairs I take a purse stuffed with fivers and tenners that I've been squirrelling away all year. I keep that (won't tell you where in case you get disillusioned with crafting and decide to be a mugger ) but as the day goes on I swap the mounting 'market' £20 notes for the 'private' fivers.
                  It keeps the purses balanced and I've stopped asking the poor stall holders next to me "Can you break up this £20 note, please, please, pretty please?"
                  AnnieAnna
                  www.anniethepedlar.com

Comment

hi

some great tips on this thread especially regarding keeping the prices simple, makes calculating multiple purchases a bit easier. I have no problem with maths but all numbers disappear out of my head from time to time.

Julia
                    Jules N Jems
                    www.julesnjems.co.uk

Comment

I would agree about keeping the notes (when you make lots of sales) in your pocket or away from the coin float for security.
                      Design, not rocket science. Illustrator, graphic and web designer, mum of two, wife and self-appointed font police.

Changing the world one crayon at a time.

Comment

I started off taking £30 but quickly realised that wasn't enough what with customers handing over £10 or £20 notes and giving other stall holders change so usually take £50 or more now.
                        Because I have smaller priced items, I have to have a selection of silver as well as £1 coins and notes.
                        I keep any £5 & £10 notes under the main tray in my cash tin away from sight and anything larger goes in a zippy section in my bag.

Comment

Hang on Julia. Have we done the should you do you price in 99ps ?
                          Ho ho ho they are fun to calculate.
                          Forget the fivers and fill your purse with pennies
                          AnnieAnna

Comment

Working...
                          X