Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for craft organisers

Hope someone may be abe to help.

Of late my wife and I have been turned down from a number of craft fairs as they already have a photographer and do not like to duplicate a craft.

I have to respect their decision but it's got to the point whereby we are unable to attend many craft fairs so I'm now thinking for next year of doing my own.

I have my eye on a venue but am gathering together what I need to do.

My first question if I may is regarding insurance. Should I arrange for liability insurance for the craft group or insist that individuals have their own insurance?

What has worked well for you organisers in the past ? is there a tried and trusted method or is it down to how you like to organise it?

As I say Im just gathering some ideas at present so any assistance would be most grateful. Thanks

Oh, and apologies of this is in the wrong category

Rob
    Web: www.randmphotography.com
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/dolts007

Annieannie and I are looking at hol,ding our own events and have found the following:

Every crafter should have their own PL insurance as standard.
    Most halls expect you to take out an organisers insurance, this is where we have come unstuck as the cost even for one event is not small, to the extent that if we split this between the tables, which was our idea, would make the rents for a small hall unreasonable. The other way is to insure for a full year but again if you only hold a few fairs the cost would outweigh the advantages.

We are still looking for alternatives but as it stand at present not an easy thing to do. Would love to do this and offer cheaper rates to crafters but with the current climate of little or no sales cannot pay out for something that may not take off.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

Comment

We have our own PL insurance to cover us as organisers.

You never know when you'll need it so it's sensible to have something in place to indemnify yourselves. If a table collapsed or someone tripped over a cable...

Stallholders need to have their own PL insurance. A lady contacted me recently saying she thought she was usually covered by organisers. Thought or knew? That's a risk in itself. Then she said she had insurance via the company for which she's a distributor. She said her sister made jewellery and, if they shared a gazebo, her sister was covered by her insurance. Hmm, somehow I doubt it but I could be wrong. Simple question to consider is would the company be willing to lose any no-claim discounts or pay the excess for someone not associated with them at all and with a completely unrelated product?

Set up some terms and conditions that clearly state that you have your own PL insurance however stallholders are required to have their own. Unfortunately, I don't think new stallholders are always aware that they need insurance or what the potential risks are. Ultimately, you can't force them to have insurance however the liability is still their own.

Good luck!
      Kelly
      www.oxfordshireevents.co.uk

Comment

Yes you need an organisers insurance and also the stall holders must have their own public liability insurance. It seems to be a matter of course now that stallholders have to have it in order to get into a craft fair and I am sure most people who exhibit regularly - or even only a few times a year - will have had to get their own insurance and expect to produce a copy of it for the organiser - certainly that is the norm even with small ones round here these days.
        Cynthia
        http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Thanks so far for the informative replies. Will now search these forums to see if anyone can recommend some good insurance companies.

Many thanks

Comment

As any serious stall holder will eventually be asked to have their own insurance you might as well push them to take it out before they sell at your fair. We are regulary asked to give the organiser a photocopy of our insurance certificate before being allowed to trade.

With this organiser's insurance - the high cost thereof - this is something I've done in the past but it only works because we know and trust eachother. I can see LOTS of problems with the following thought
            but
            would it be possible for us little but adventurous souls to get together to make a group - have an umberella name - and take out insurance for the group. For instance one of the quotes I got was for 12 fairs a year but Carolee and I thought we wouldn't be wanting to do that many. 6 maybe, if we were feeling energetic. We actually wanted to do 1 to try it out.....
            Supposing Dolts wanted to do 6.........could we share the insurance?
            It's just a thought.

The other clutching at straws idea is to keep scouting for halls with their own insurance and tell the ones without why we are walking away from them and they are loosing our money.

AnnieAnna

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieAnna View Post
              As any serious stall holder will eventually be asked to have their own insurance you might as well push them to take it out before they sell at your fair. We are regulary asked to give the organiser a photocopy of our insurance certificate before being allowed to trade.

With this organiser's insurance - the high cost thereof - this is something I've done in the past but it only works because we know and trust eachother. I can see LOTS of problems with the following thought
              but
              would it be possible for us little but adventurous souls to get together to make a group - have an umberella name - and take out insurance for the group. For instance one of the quotes I got was for 12 fairs a year but Carolee and I thought we wouldn't be wanting to do that many. 6 maybe, if we were feeling energetic. We actually wanted to do 1 to try it out.....
              It's just a thought.

The other clutching at straws idea is to keep scouting for halls with their own insurance and tell the ones without why we are walking away from them and they are loosing our money.

AnnieAnna
              There is no reason on earth why you cant form a collective or patnership for the purpose of holding and running craft fairs.... though I would have thought the basic obstacle would be whether you make a profit or not, and how you manage the finances.

Another option (no less problematical admittedly) would be to set up a Craft Fair hosting company/partnership.. and "sell" your events.. so for example you could charge someone like Dolts007 a proportion of the costs and appoint him as your organiser for the event he wants to run.. Would have to be clear what the rules and regs are for each event though..
              Last edited by sparkysdad; 04-06-2009, 01:42 PM.

Comment

All sounds a bit confusing to me at the mo ! Only thought of the idea last night !

Am at work at present so will have a good read tonight and digest all of the above as well as reading up on the insurance that organisers have to take on board etc.

Thanks again for your comments thus far, much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieAnna View Post

but
                  It's just a thought.

AnnieAnna
                  I agree Annie if there could be a blanket company covering craft fairs with several organisers per area, this would certainly make things more reasonable.

Comment

I'm imagining we'd be holding a bowl of legal spaghetti.

I like Sparkys dad's hosting idea.
                    If one of us had a wodge of money to buy the insurance with and then appointed organisers and the organisers paid to be covered by a bit of the insurance and the wodge person could be sure they'd get their money back (making a profit would be nice - but at the moment just having the opportunity to sell would be good ) it MIGHT be simpler.........

AnnieAnna

Comment

As a fairly new events organiser I took out PL insurance to cover moderate size events for a year this way the more events you do the cheaper the insurance becomes. I find insurance isn't the killer cost its Advertising that really racks up the bill.
                      Liz
                      http://www.soapiehandmadesoaps.com
                      [email protected]

Comment

Morning

Forgive me for being dumb but not having been an organiser before, could someone tell me what a craft organiser's insurance actually covers.

I understand that for an individual crafter, it will cover you should say someone trip over your cloth and bang their head for instance, but is the organiser's cover for say someone tripping over the step on their way in etc?

I have no idea on an organisers insurance costings but the idea of a group whereby each area has an organiser does sound an interesting take

look forward to hearing from you

Rob

Comment

When I rang up we spent a long time talking about who was putting up the tables. Was it the hall's caretaker or us? It cost loads more if it was us!
                          Then we came round to the cost and I started to switch off. One of us should ask for a written thingy wotsit.

Have you looked into the first aider thing, yet?

AnnieAnna

Comment

Hi Rob

I'm in the process of organising my second craft fair so I'll share my limited experience.

Insurance is a bit of a minefield. It seems to be like a jigsaw with three pieces; 1, the venue will have it's own public liability to cover for accidents like someone falling down steps; 2, the stall holders should have insurance for if, for instance, a child pulled a display down and was injured; 3, the organiser should have their insurance to fill in any gaps i.e. if someone tripped over a box or slipped in a drink left there by no-one in particular.

The two events I've done have both been for charity organisations, one the cubs, the other the Comhaltas (an Irish cultural organisation). The cub one was in the parish hall, the cub unit being part of the parish meant the event was covered by the parish insurance, the Comhaltas their own premises.

So there may be an answer for you. Find a charity organisation with premises, offer to organise a charity craft fair for them and you take the profits from your stall. Alot of work to have a stall but great experience and the feelgood factor of raising funds for a local good cause.

A bit long-winded, sorry, but hopefully enlightening.

And another little point - you're lucky your craft isn't jewellery, I've had to turn away about 10 jewellers from the latest fair because we're at capacity already!

Good luck

Emma

Comment

a little bump fpr efa!

Comment

Working...
                              X