Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small craft fairs. West Yorks (Halifax/Huddersfield areas)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small craft fairs. West Yorks (Halifax/Huddersfield areas)

Does anyone know where to find information on small craft fairs in the West Yorks area? I've just done a large fair at a local tourist attraction, but despite it being very well organised and having thousands (literally) of visitors, I barely sold a thing, and all the other stall holders I spoke to said the same thing, so I'm thinking small events such as charity and school fairs might be better. It's just knowing where to look! I've tried the big craft fair directory sites, but there's nothing really on there, and I've looked at school websites, but none of the ones around here seem to have up to date info. Do you think it would be best to send my details out to all the local schools so that they can let me know if they're interested in offering me a stall at their events, or is that a bit cheeky? Does anyone have any other ideas, or perhaps you know of some small fairs coming up (especially in the Calderdale/Kirklees areas).
    my website: www.thelittleglasskiln.co.uk
    twitter: www.twitter.com/littleglasskiln

Hi again Skuttle, I think there just must be the two of us in West Yorkshire!!!

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't do well at the Museum. It was really busy when we walked around the fair. I approached a couple of the stall holders at the fair and asked where else they stood they suggested I try gala's and school fetes for the summer. I was told that Birkinshaw Fire Station has a large gala every year and that it attracts thousands of visitors. £35 was last years fee but you get a market stall rather than a small table. Shibden hall in Halifax was another tip and I'm sure that there are plenty of local galas and school fetes in Halifax and Huddersfield.

Comment

Hello again!
      I never thought of the Fire Station gala. I think its well attended, so it might be worth looking into, although after the last fair, £35 is a bit more than I wanted to part with.
      I did try Shibden Hall for their last fair, but they were already full - I think it's very popular. It's a shame because I only live 10 minutes away, so that would have been ideal, but I might look into their Christmas Fair for this year.
      I think that now the schools are open again after the Easter break, I'll maybe get in touch with a few of them, and see whether they're looking for stall holders for their Summer fairs. Im not sure that the clocks would be appropriate, but I'm thinking of having a go at selling some of my pyrography, and I think they'd be the ideal place for that type of craft.

Comment

Originally posted by skuttle View Post
        Hello again!
        I never thought of the Fire Station gala. I think its well attended, so it might be worth looking into, although after the last fair, £35 is a bit more than I wanted to part with.
        I did try Shibden Hall for their last fair, but they were already full - I think it's very popular. It's a shame because I only live 10 minutes away, so that would have been ideal, but I might look into their Christmas Fair for this year.
        I think that now the schools are open again after the Easter break, I'll maybe get in touch with a few of them, and see whether they're looking for stall holders for their Summer fairs. Im not sure that the clocks would be appropriate, but I'm thinking of having a go at selling some of my pyrography, and I think they'd be the ideal place for that type of craft.
        Doesn't the Piece Hall in Halifax do craft markets ?? or am I mistaken??

Comment

Unfortunately not. They have a normal market on a Saturday...but only just! I last went just before Christmas as I was thinking of having a stall there, and there were only three stalls open...in fact they were planning on cancelling it completely after Christmas, not sure if they actually have though. They do have special events on from time to time where craft stalls appear but even these don't really get the publicity they deserve.

It's such a shame, because it's a fantastic place, and I'm sure a craft market would do really well there if it was marketed right, but no one responsible seems interested.

Comment

It's certainly not cheeky getting in touch with places to ask if they have any upcoming fairs that you could trade at. It's using your initiative!
            I run steampunk markets in West Yorkshire (5 weekends a year) and we have a lot of very talented crafters so if you make things that are out of the ordinary feel free to drop me a line.
            All the details are on the website.
            Jo
            ... stick a cog on it and call it steampunk...

Comment

i think i have to agree with you

[MOD EDIT] Sorry, had to remove your signature, craft related allowed only I’m afraid.

Dave, moderator.
              Last edited by 3dDave; 05-07-2018, 07:31 PM.
              Turn Your Idea Into A Website-ksoftcloud.com

Comment

Working...
              X