Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights?

Hi,
    I've seen some people mentioning lights when going to craft fairs, and I just wondered how many people take them, what kind they use etc...?
    I'm doing my first big fair on sunday, and am worried!
    Thanks
    www.gdfairs.co.uk

“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, What! You too? I thought I was the only one.”
    -C.S. Lewis

I take clip on spot lights to big events - 6 for 10ft frontage - 20 for 30 ft

hth

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I have a very slim light with about 15 little LED bulbs in it. You can angle it to point where you want and run it on mains or 12 volt. I got it from Argos, Selina

Comment

I used to have 4 desk lamps which didnt do a very good job. now I have 2 floor lamps with 3 spots each, which have been reduced in height so I can stand them on the table. I for 6 foot table, 2 for 12 feet.
        Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Do you all have PAT certificates for your lights - and if so, do you mind me asking how much they cost? Thanks.
          www.artistsandillustrators.co.uk/FionaHumphrey (portfolio page)

Comment

I have spot lights.

If you have already booked your fair and have not stated that you need electricity best check with the organisers that you can have it.

At the fairs I organise I state on the booking form that electricity points are limited so the crafter has to state they need it.

Also some organisers (not me) charge extra if you require electricity.
            Diane
            Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Lights

As a professional organiser of quality craft fairs we always recommend that our exhibitors light their stands. There is always a power point available for each stand, at no extra cost.

Comment

Originally posted by inkyprints View Post
                Do you all have PAT certificates for your lights - and if so, do you mind me asking how much they cost? Thanks.
                Hi. you dont need a pat test if they are new as the manufacturers garantee covers you for 12 months. I bought mine at the Jan sales so dont need one yet.
                Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Originally posted by Penninelady View Post
                  As a professional organiser of quality craft fairs we always recommend that our exhibitors light their stands. There is always a power point available for each stand, at no extra cost.
                  I so used to love your events - ---------?

Jane
                  www.just-soaps.com
                  Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                  FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                  Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I agree that it looks better - I'm particularly concerned as pictures invariably look better with good lighting. I think it is excellent that you do not charge extra for electricity Penninelady - some others do though, probably because the venue adds it on.

When you use new lights then, do you have to show a date of purchase document? Just in case I go down the new route for this year?

I was wondering about the PAT certificate costs because I could use spotlights I already have for my studio but I also want to plan costs for the longer term too. Seems it can vary a lot from what I have been able to find out so far - some make it prohibitively expensive if getting a certificate for just a few items.

Fi
                    www.artistsandillustrators.co.uk/FionaHumphrey (portfolio page)

Comment

I need to sort some lights out for my stall too - I've often found that some venues don't have an electricity supply in the right place (and I don't have lights at the mo anyway ), so I'm going to get around the whole PAT testing, booking a spot with leccy etc by buying some battery powered LED spotlights that I've seen on ebay - my friend has some in her house and they're just as bright as leccy lights

Claire
                      Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
                      Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
                      www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

Originally posted by Lilac Moon Designs View Post
                        Hi. you dont need a pat test if they are new as the manufacturers garantee covers you for 12 months. I bought mine at the Jan sales so dont need one yet.
                        When you use new lights then, do you have to show a date of purchase document? Just in case I go down the new route for this year?
                        Not strictly true . . but near enough

Portable Appliance Testing is exactly that . . for hand portable electrical appliances. Such appliances should be tested as routine and as frequently as required . . your risk assessments for your business should refer to this (if you are a business employing 5 or more persons including yourself and any part time workers and are required by law to have risk assessments!) . . so . . an appliance that gets used many times day in day out, such as a kettle in a work place kitchen or a 4 gang socket outlet used daily, should be tested more frequently than something which only gets used occasionally and is operated and stored in accordance with manufacturers instructions.

It's a fallacy that appliances need to be tested annually . . electricians or "appropriately trained persons" will always put a sticker on the appliance after it's been tested and found satisfactory that says test again in 12 months . . but in fact depending on the usage and risk associated with that appliance it could quite easily be 18, 24 or 36 months!

I always keep a copy of the purchase receipt for any new lights in my craft fairs folder which goes with me to the fair. The PAT test cert on my older lights is actually stuck on them and I have a current cert covering all of them that require it in my folder along with copies for organisers if they want one . . but I did make the Leccy man put the stickers underneath so it doesn't spoil their look when hooked up the stall
                        Gloria

www.dichro-findings.co.uk
                        Etsy Shop
                        Artfire Shop
                        dichro-findings blog

Comment

Working...
                        X