Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should you make your craft at craft fairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should you make your craft at craft fairs?

At a few of the fairs I have attaneded, I have taken my work with me, along with a small folding table, so I can sit behind my stall and make a few items.

I would really like some opinions on this - do people think it's a good idea? If so, do you think being behind the stall is ok or would it be worth asking if I could set up along side it?

I've always thought it's a good way of demonstrating that my work is hand made, but I also don't want to put people off by seeing an item in it's 'raw stages' - does this make sense?

I also worry that it might look rude when customer are browsing my stall, although I always say hello etc when someone does come to have a look.

Any thoughts and ideas would be apreciated!
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

I always take some work with me to do in any downtime.

Soaps to wrap, gift packs to make up, orders to pack up.

Obviously I can'nt make soap - but do like to keep busy.

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I have always found that any demo is a crowd magnet. Customers like to see you making (not practical for Jane as she would need the kitchen sink etc) but if you can, yes I think it is a good idea. I have a fair tomorrow and I am taking a new toll for making fabric roses, this will be something I can pick up and put down when the customers need attention.

Comment

The last craft fair I went to, a woman came first thing and asked me to make her a specific necklace, and told me she would be back in half an hour to collect it(!) I told her to take her time, i may be a lot longer than that, but I did spend most of the day making it, then went for a wander round the other stalls, and it was almost time to pack up! Oh and the lesson I learned from that? ALWAYS bring those gloves with cut of fingers to a craft fair, as I was usuing seed beads and could not feel my fingers!
        I like to make things - usually a mess!
        Please look at my stuff and let me know what you think!
        http://elephantfrills.blogspot.com/

Comment

when i go to fairs i love seeing people making things, i love knowing how it was done and i also dont feel like im going to be jumped on so i spend longer browsing xxx

try a free graze box use code 5THR7LB www.graze.com

Comment

I usually make things while I am there, In fact I am more likely to make something if it's busy than if it's quiet. I find people are fascinated to see how things are made and more likely to buy. When it is very quiet I take the opportunity to talk to the other stallholders.
            I make jewelllery and use wire quite a lot so I am often giving impromptu demo's and I make little wire rings to order, I let them choose the colour and make them in about 3 minutes. At one fair I made well over a dozen and the girls loved them, they were bringing their friends back to get one.

Melanie

Comment

I cant make my mosaics at craft fairs because cutting tiles, glass etc is a bit dangerous with children about. I do sometimes take my equipment with me and an unfinished piece to show people how things are made. I dont think people are put off by seeing something in its raw stages if they can see the finished article is of high quality and handcrafted
              Diane
              Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

I was sat making a charm bracelet during the quiet spells at a craft fair last year, every time I picked my pliers up a hoard of kids turned up, I ended up selling the bracelet to the organiser.
                www.jos-beaded-designs.com

Comment

I'm glad this thread had Bren started as I have my first fair tomorrow and was unsure whether to take my bits along
                  Handmade Jewellery
                  Follow me on Twitter
                  www.
                  elizakate.co.uk
                  Etsy Shop!

Comment

Don't forget some organisers give extra space if you are demonstrating- they class it as an add on for their public.

Jane
                    www.just-soaps.com
                    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I always take a tray with bead mat and a stash of beads and findings along with me. I think it gives my items credibility (ie proves that they are hand made!) and people can appreciate the time it takes to make them. I've made items for people at events when I've had the right colours to hand and also stocked up as things are sold, at bigger events!

It has also given me another string to my bow as I'm often asked if I teach the techniques and have also booked a few workshops on the back of this in the past.
                      Jane

If beads were still currency, I'd be a millionaire!

http://www.wildheartcrafts.co.uk/

Comment

I always take my pyro kit with me (if the venue/organisers allow it and I have access to an electricity point). It gives me something to do if there are any quiet spells and it does generate interest and questions. Some people have never seen the kit before and have no idea that the decorations are drawn by hand. I've also been able to make or personalise items for people with unusual names before. The slight smell of wood smoke is something that many people quite like as well...

I was once asked if I was having a "crafty fag" in the corner when another stallholder saw a little plume of smoke! That was funny...

Si.
                        Wood Tattoos
                        Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                        Facebook
                        Flickr
                        Twitter

Comment

I posted some rep agreeing on this earlier, but in addition to that I would like to say in quiet times it must help to look busy, and thus stop you looking too anxious or desperate when the number of browsers is low..

I think showing how something is made is fantastic, at the craft fairs I go to I am always lagging behind gawping at the wonders people make from a few bits and pieces.. I make cards because I saw 2 ladies doing it once and realised I could too.

One thing I would say is take several pieces of work with you, at various stages and using different techniques.. then if someone does want to ask questions, it is perhaps more obvious you can "down tools" without seeming to be interrupted.. and also you can give mini master classes...

I also think that seeing a craftsperson at work makes it immediately apparent just how much work goes in to often very simple looking things, and that can help make more expensive items look REAL bargains...

Comment

Originally posted by sparkysdad View Post

I also think that seeing a craftsperson at work makes it immediately apparent just how much work goes in to often very simple looking things, and that can help make more expensive items look REAL bargains...
                            One lady at an event was watching me wrap my cake slices. "I would have thought you would have had a machine to do that" she said - if you've seen my cake slices you would know it would be almost impossible to get a machine to wrap them - or it would cost heaps. She was really quite fascinated by it all and bought loads

Jane
                            www.just-soaps.com
                            Twitter JUSTSOAPS

Comment

I take a bundle of damp straw and make corn dollies - it does draw a crowd, particularly as it looks more complicated than it really is with straws pointing in all directions.

One of the steam rallies used to have a general craft/gift marquee and a "working" craft marquee.
                              ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                              website
                              blog

Comment

Working...
                              X