• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crafty Fox
    Junior crafter
    • Apr 2009

Wakefield Craft Fair

Has anyone done a craft fair at the National Mining Museum? Theres a few stands for this Easter still left. It's £29 to stand for one day, is this the going rate for fairs generally, as i've seen quite a few posts saying that about £10 to £15 is about right? SO Sorry for all the questions on my first post.

Thanks Donna
  • Selina
    Super crafter
    • Dec 2007

Welcome to the forum. Prices for fairs vary greatly, you'll see one on here that is £600 for 2 days so £29 is not so bad! Seriously though the price depends on lots of factors, cost of venue hire, advertising, insurance etc. I guess you have to weigh up how much stock you think you will be able to sell and see if you personally feel it is worth the money. Good luck, Selina

Comment

• skuttle
      So much more than a moderate crafter
      • Nov 2008

I'm going to be doing this fair for the first time this Easter. Although it costs more than some of the smaller fairs, I thought it compared well pricewise with other similar sized ones in the area, and when I've been to the NCM in the past (not during a craft fair though, admittedly), it's always had a reasonable amount of visitors. The museum has different events on over Easter (egg hunt etc.), and the craft fair is being advertised locally, so hopefully it should attract visitors. I'll be there on Easter Sunday, so of you decide to go for it, I might see you there!
      my website: www.thelittleglasskiln.co.uk
      twitter: www.twitter.com/littleglasskiln

Comment

• Lilac Moon
        Mega Crafter
        • Jul 2008

Hello all

I've done the NCM before and while there seems to be plenty of visitors I have not always taken enough to cover my costs. I do jewellery and there were quite a few, I think if you do other crafts you may fair better. It does have a good atmoshere, and the organisers, Paul and co. are a friendly bunch.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. hope you do well..
        Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

• Crafty Fox
          Junior crafter
          • Apr 2009

Thanks - I spoke to a guy from Rosebaskets who seemed really nice and very helpful. I may go and get a feel for the place and then make a decision to attend one of the May fairs.

Comment

• skuttle
            • Nov 2008

Good idea.
            If you visit on the day that I'm there, be sure to come and say hello! (As I say, it's my first time, so I can let you know how I'm getting on )
            Vicky.

Comment

• Crafty Fox
              Junior crafter
              • Apr 2009

Thanks for all the comments. Vicky, what will you be selling as I'll look out for you if you are there on Sunday, We've decided to go Sunday as all the rest of the shops will be shut!

Comment

• skuttle
                • Nov 2008

That's why I chose Sunday (hoping people will be looking for something to do!)
                I'll be the one with all the bottles! ( I also make fused glass jewellery, but with a different website and name, so I won't be selling those items this weekend).

Comment

• Crafty Fox
                  Junior crafter
                  • Apr 2009

I'm assuming it's perfume bottles not alcohol? How can i find your website so I can have a sneeky peek?

Comment

• skuttle
                    • Nov 2008

Lol...actually it is alcohol bottles (empty though!). There's a link to my website at the bottom of my first post on this thread.

Comment

• Crafty Fox
                      Junior crafter
                      • Apr 2009

Went to the National mining Museum to suss out the fair, couldn't get parked for ages due to the number of cars, then had to walk 1/4 mile to the building which was heaving, looked a great venue with lots of friendly stall holders and a good mix of craft / gift items but there seemed to be 100's of visitors walking around and just looking, but not many buying (apart from wood roses at 10 for a £1), so not sure it would be worth my while. Saw the glass bottle clocks Skuttle, they looked fantastic, but didn't get chance to say hello (sorry), also someone with home made gnomes, which were great, I've never seen "hand crafted" gnomes before. Good day out but I think I'll stick to the church halls!

Comment

Working...
                      X