Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you looking for in a fair organiser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you looking for in a fair organiser?

Hi,

I'm hoping to organise a craft fair in North Staffordshire on behalf of my Brownie unit to raise some much needed funds. However I want to make sure I do it right and so wanted to pick some brains about what you look for when choosing where to exhibit.

How many stalls makes it a reasonable fair? I'm thinking we can get 15-20 stalls in our hall. Is that enough?

How much would you pay for a fair this size? Would £10 be a fair price. We would provide a table and chairs. Would you expect electricity in this price or would it be OK to charge extra for electricity?

How much advance notice do you usually have for booking a fair. If I was to organise one in the next 2 months is that too short a notice?

Erm, that's all I can think of for now so your opinions and any other feedback would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
    Claire
    x
    "A house without a bear is like a face without a smile!" ME

Web: www.pawprints.org.uk
    Misi: www.pawprints.misi.co.uk
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-...104?ref=search

Hi Claire,

To organise a craft fair fully and properly takes a lot of consideration and hard work (as plenty of people on this forum will tell you!), but if you are just wanting to pull a quick 'charity type' event together I would suggest that the answers would be along the lines of ...

15 to 20 stalls will be fine. I think people will be happy to pay £10 as the event is raising money for charity, but I think they would probably expect the electricty to be included. Table and chairs are usually included at fairs, but what size are the tables? The standard at a fair is 6' x 2' 6" and most crafters design their stall layout to fit this size. Two months notice of an event will be plenty for some crafters, whilst others will be booked up months ahead.

Hope that helps a bit.

Best of luck with it all. And don't forget to list it on the website below once you have the details confirmed!

Regards.
    Fair Do

Fair Do's!

Comment

15 - 20 stalls in a hall is fine, as is the price of £10 with table and chairs (can't comment re electricity).

A fair in 2 months time would be OK for some but not for others, it's difficult to say as established crafters book themselves in well in advance. Make sure it doesn't clash with large shows in neighbouring counties.

However there could easily be a number of newer crafters on the fair scene who would welcome an event - or those who are finding stall fees for biger events to much to spend upfront just now.

You'd need to show that you're advertising in various places (and not just telling the brownie Mums).

Good luck - I'm too far away for your event.
      ElaineJ soap and other stuff
      website
      blog

Comment

Watching quietly with interest, as I am currently involved in discussions to possibly organise a (large) fair here in Jersey..
        --Matt

Web Development
        Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

What I find are some common traits in bad organisers.

More interested in having loads of stalls, without thinking of product mix.

Cramming too many stalls into a small space, yes it may look all right before the customers come, but there is often not enough room if customers are looking at stalls on either side, for customers to walk through.

Not allowing enough time to set up, have you ever seen 25 stall holders trying to set up in 1/2 hr all trying to get through one door?

Not advertising sufficiently, there are plenty of inexpensive ways to do this.

Forgetting that whilst their main objective is to, either make money for themselves or there chosen charity etc, the stall holder has a completely different objective.

Suddenly asking for a raffle prize - which wasn't mentioned on booking form.

Forgetting that on the day, the customers are the most important people, followed by the stall holder and lastly themselves.

These are the traits of organisers I tend not to go with again.

Jane
          www.just-soaps.com
          Twitter JUSTSOAPS
          FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
          Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by Erial View Post
            Hi,

I'm hoping to organise a craft fair in North Staffordshire on behalf of my Brownie unit to raise some much needed funds. However I want to make sure I do it right and so wanted to pick some brains about what you look for when choosing where to exhibit.

How many stalls makes it a reasonable fair? I'm thinking we can get 15-20 stalls in our hall. Is that enough?

How much would you pay for a fair this size? Would £10 be a fair price. We would provide a table and chairs. Would you expect electricity in this price or would it be OK to charge extra for electricity?

How much advance notice do you usually have for booking a fair. If I was to organise one in the next 2 months is that too short a notice?

Erm, that's all I can think of for now so your opinions and any other feedback would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
            Claire
            x
            Hi Claire,

I am very interested in this thread and your fair as I am also in Stoke on Trent and as you'll have noticed there doesn't seem to be many fairs around here.

A fair consisting of 15-20 stalls sounds reasonable to me, as long as there is a good mix of crafts and not half a dozen with the same sort of thing.

£10 per stall sounds like a good price to me... we charged this at our fair in Weston Coyney last week and everyone we spoke to said it was a fair price. Just make sure you are covering costs of both the venue and advertising. With regards to electricity, I'm not sure about whether you could charge extra... hopefully someone more 'in the know' will be along soon.

We have got fairs booked up until September, at the moment only one per month so within the next couple of months would be fine as long as it didn't clash with dates we are already committed too... we have a list of where we'll be and when listed on our website.

We would definitely be interested in attending your event with our handcrafted greetings cards, keepsake cards and candles if you have space for us and it's a date we are free. A range of our items can be seen on our website... http://landmcardsforalloccasions.webs.com

Good luck with organising your fair!!

Laura xxx

Comment

Hi Claire, yep agree with all the above, the last fair I did was badly advertised and I felt very badly let down by that, and there were no signs outside directing passers by to it either!

£10 is a good price too & I would say make sure you limit each type of craft, so you've got a good mix, better for the public & the crafters.

Let me know when you're doing this as I may be interested too

All the best with it

x
              "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Blog: http://janscardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com/
              Twitter: http://twitter.com/JanJackman
              Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6759167?ref=nf

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Comment

Hi,

Many thanks for all of your positive feedback. I'm off to put up all the tables in the hall later to see exactly how many I can get in (without squishing people of course!!! )

Once I've done this I'll post a new thread with all the details.

Thanks again!

Claire
                x

Comment

What I am looking for from a fair

What I am looking for from a fair is lots of people through the door & I don't mind paying more if I think I will have the opportunity to sell more.

I'm not talking mega bucks here but if given the choice of a £10 fair which is advertised by word of mouth & a £20 fair which is on the event websites, has posters around the area & in local businesses for a week before & has good directions & signs on the day then I will be paying the £20.

It is of course to better to have variety particularly if you want to run further events & people to return. So don't be tempted to sell those last few tables to us jewellers just because we are always looking for stalls. Pick your maximum number, check the styles are different & stick to it.

Just in case this sounds like a short rant I am trying to be helpful, honest!

Good luck with your fair, I'm sure it'll be great if stressful.

Anita
                  Silvergirl
                  www.contemporarycraft.co.uk

Comment

I completely agree Anita. I'm hoping the the publicity is the one thing I get right - I've worked in PR for the last 10 years and so if I can't publicise it well enough then I'm really in trouble!!

Comment

Fairs

What really concerns me is that what do you get for £10. With having 15 -20 stalls only gives you about £200 for everything ie. cost of venue and especially the advertising. You cannot have a good event without the public. Advertising costs such a lot these days - it's ok to have posters and flyers but you really need the newspapers too. Whilst a cheap price might seem ok what does the exhibitor get for this? Cheap fair usually equals not much advertising and no public which is essential for running a good event.
                      Woodenlady ( fed up with visiting tatty events!!!!!!!!!)

Comment

Ah but there's the power of the Brownie Pack - you just need a parent who plays golf with the editor of the local paper, another who works in local radio, one or two on the Council...
                        ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                        website
                        blog

Comment

Working...
                        X