another waste of time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another waste of time.

After a craft fair today that was a complete waste of time I'm beinging to wonder what to do, should I stick to sets or sell a mixture of random things or should I give up. My total takings today was £10.50 wahooo.

Sorry for my little rant.
    Website
    WWW.CUTTINGCREATIONS.CO.UK

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cuttin...979559?ref=sgm

It's so disheartening when you dont sell much. But dont give up...we have all been there. I did a fair today to ..think there were about 12 visitors all day. but at least they spent something. The nice weather doesnt help. it's nice to see but i think this early in the year. peeps want to get out in it not be inside.
    Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Sorry if you've mentioned it before but how many fairs have you done? For me it was 1 good 1 bad or 2 good and 1 bad...very unpredictable as you can never tell how many people are going to come through the door. After moving back up to Hereford (from Dorset), and not having done any fair for a couple of years and now wanting to take things more seriously, I now know that you need as many outlets as possible, but I think it's been mentioned quite recently that at least with a craft fair your face is seen and you're out there meeting your customers and, hopefully, having a nice day out meeting fellow crafters and a break from the normal rush, rush, rush of the working week. It's up to you at the end of the day, but maybe if you've been there a few times already and you're making a loss or just covering the table cost each time then perhaps it's time to find a different venue. Good luck whatever you choose to do
      Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Hey, £10.50's better than nowt!!!

How much was your table?

You don't really want to give up ...do you??

Better luck for next time.

Fair Do

Fair Do's!

Comment

Where was it?? Was it a large fair or a little one?
          There are soo many factors to take into account!!

Maybe it was just a bad day!?
          Rach

Facebook
          Website
          Blog
          Folksy

Comment

Providing your stall fee was not too high I certainly would not get disheartened, as others have said some you win, some you lose. Particularly with local fairs I always consider the stall fee as part of my marketing/advertising budget as it gets me out in the public eye and gives me a chance to meet people who may be customers another time, even if not on the day. In that case you are not putting your sales against your stall fee, you have taken £10.50 and that means you have sold some stock. Keep smiling and let's hope the next one is better - don't give up there are so many reasons for keeping turning out for fairs.
            Cynthia
            http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Maybe . . .

People wanted to buy Mother's Day presents, but maybe they wanted something that would come with a receipt? Or, it's just easier to go into Asda and buy some perfume than to go round a craft fair . . .

Maybe they were all shopping in the shopping centres yesterday.

x
              Proprietor at www.molieredesign.com
              Bespoke wedding clothing creations

Twitter - @molieredesign
              Facebook - www.facebook.com/molieredesign

Comment

Hey you did better than I did two weeks ago, I didn't give up but instead went to the following one and make a fair amount considering it is just March. I think of these set backs as evening out over the year, at least I am showing I am reliable and will turn out no matter what the weather - the craft shows I do are all outside!!!
                Good luck for the next one.
                Janice Phoenixjewellery from

http://www.phoenixfabrics.co.uk
                http://phoenixjewellery.blogspot.com/
                http://phoenixbridal.blogspot.com/
                http://bernie-bear.blogspot.com

Comment

After my moaning on Saturday - whenever it was I made myself a lovely bracelet and am now focusing on the craft fair for Saturday, I was wondering how much stock you normally take with you, if you don't mind me asking, and also whether you price your goods so people know how much they are, I'm going to try and do things a little differently on Saturday just got to keep going haven't we.

My table was only £5 so at least I got a profit.

Rant over
                  Website
                  WWW.CUTTINGCREATIONS.CO.UK

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cuttin...979559?ref=sgm

Comment

Originally posted by cuttingcreations View Post
                    After my moaning on Saturday - whenever it was I made myself a lovely bracelet and am now focusing on the craft fair for Saturday, I was wondering how much stock you normally take with you, if you don't mind me asking, and also whether you price your goods so people know how much they are, I'm going to try and do things a little differently on Saturday just got to keep going haven't we.

My table was only £5 so at least I got a profit.

Rant over
                    Definitely need to mark your prices clearly - people need to know what they are likely to pay - I avoid stalls where I can't see prices.
                    Cynthia
                    http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

I agree, I put a tiny sticky label on each of my cards so that people don't have to ask...I know some would say that NOt putting prices on makes people talk to you and thus a discussion begins, pointing out different items etc., but I too like it straight and easy, I see it I buy it, sorted! If I don't see what I like but can see that the person does a range of things I'd ask...but maybe some wouldn't. Sorry, I'm rambling now...
                      Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Yes I agree you must have price labels on your items. I never buy from a stall where I can't see prices as I assume they will be too expensive! If I had to ask the price of something I would then feel guilty if I couldn't afford it, so would rather not ask.

You took £5.50 over your stall fee. Just before Christmas I did a fair where I paid £20 for the stall and took £0. So did many other crafters there.

Craft fairs are very hit and miss at the moment but as others have said, you are getting your face and your goods known.

Also, not to be too personal but just a thought from experience. When you are at a fair, what do you do? do you stand behind your stall and smile as people walk past or do you sit behind your stall not engaging with anyone? I and other crafters have found that if you stand behind or to the side of your stall and smile at people passing and if they stop just say hello, then you are more likely to make a sale than the person who sits behind their stall, reading a book or eating a huge sandwich or completely ignoring everything and everyone around them.

Keep at it, I'm sure you will do well soon!
                        Diane
                        Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Originally posted by Moonbeam Angel View Post
                          Yes I agree you must have price labels on your items. I never buy from a stall where I can't see prices as I assume they will be too expensive! If I had to ask the price of something I would then feel guilty if I couldn't afford it, so would rather not ask.

You took £5.50 over your stall fee. Just before Christmas I did a fair where I paid £20 for the stall and took £0. So did many other crafters there.

Craft fairs are very hit and miss at the moment but as others have said, you are getting your face and your goods known.

Also, not to be too personal but just a thought from experience. When you are at a fair, what do you do? do you stand behind your stall and smile as people walk past or do you sit behind your stall not engaging with anyone? I and other crafters have found that if you stand behind or to the side of your stall and smile at people passing and if they stop just say hello, then you are more likely to make a sale than the person who sits behind their stall, reading a book or eating a huge sandwich or completely ignoring everything and everyone around them.

Keep at it, I'm sure you will do well soon!
                          I agree with Moonbeam - I was always told "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it"

Too often at events I see people sitting behind their stall, head in a book, texting or similar, missing buying signals from their public, and then they complain they have not done very well - people buy from people - we must interact with potential customers.

I am not inferring that this is what happened with you though.

Jane
                          www.just-soaps.com
                          Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                          FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                          Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Working...
                          X