Should I focus more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I focus more?

I am thinking about starting to do some craft fairs this year after I've ironed out some issues, one being I am struggling to visualise my future stall. I want to make a few ladies fabric handbags, a few childrens soft toys and wooden toys and some sterling silver jewellery. Do you think my stall is going to end up looking like a jumble sale? Should I focus on one or two themes for each craft fair? Anyone got any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.
    www.belovedly.co.uk
    www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
    www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Hi alibear,

My personal view is that it would be better to focus on one specific craft. If for no other reason, it will show you are a master of that craft rather than a jack of all! This will help customers have confidence in you.

My thoughts anyway.

Best of luck.

Fair Do

Fair Do's!

Comment

PS ...an organiser has just today listed a series of fairs in Derbyshire on the website below ...might be worth a look for you!

FD

Fair Do's!

Comment

Handbags and jewellery could pair up.

Soft toys and wooden toys would go together.

All four could seem a bit of a mishmash.

(having said that I make corndollies, handmade felt stuff, soap and toiletries, printed coasters - and I'm taking the lot to a fair a week on Saturday!)
        ElaineJ soap and other stuff
        website
        blog

Comment

Fair point - Fair do, but I get oh so bored doing just one thing! I can't stand it. Call me Master Jack
          Good idea to pair up adult stuff and kids stuff ... I had thought of it but wasn't sure so you have just confirmed it for me ...cheers
          www.belovedly.co.uk
          www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

but I get oh so bored doing just one thing!
            Exactly my problem!!
            ElaineJ soap and other stuff
            website
            blog

Comment

Hi
              One thing to consider is that many events will not allow say jewellery and cards, it has to be one or the the other, as most try to be fair to all stall holders. Also if say you took 4 crafts, then that would effectively mean blocking another 3 stalls - if that makes sense?

Jane
              www.just-soaps.com
              Twitter JUSTSOAPS
              FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
              Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

or you could think about it in terms of having options - asking the organiser what you could do? we are attending three fairs within the next fortnight or so.

1, wants the components, kits and the jewelry
                2, wants components and kits only
                3, wants components, kits and made cards (this one is our own but I won't take the jewelry because I lead by example and we have a jewelry lady already)

if you make a variety of crafts then at least you know you'll be able to have a reasonable showing and will only be excluded in extreme circumstances.
                www.dancingphoenixcrafts.co.uk

Comment

Whilst there is no reason not to do all those things. I agree that you need to restrict it for a craft fair. Having organised a fair last year I lost count of the number of stalls who had cards suddenly appear on them even though I had put a limit on how many stalls of one kind I could have (also jewellery seems to slip in on stalls that aren't jewellery based). It is very difficult to monitor and I agree with Jane that if you did all these things together it would block other stalls and it might also mean you miss out in getting a booking because of that. I should make it clear to organisers what you do, but say that you will be guided as to which parts they would like you to exhibit if they feel that any part of your stall would conflict with others. This is a ramble, but I know what I mean!!
                  Cynthia
                  http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

I do two entirely different crafts, one of which is making all sorts of things with recycled materials (I use unwanted greeting cards and left over needlework fabrics, yarns, threads etc). I usually take both to craft fairs, but I always book two tables/pitches and use one table for each craft.

The common denominator is that everything on both tables has been made by me, but the final products are very different.

Linda

Comment

The Annie the Pedlar side of me sells toys and bags and (sort of) jewellery and a load of other stuff and she's thrived. It started off that the itty bitty what's in that basket was part of the appleal. I also came up with an umberella word for my stuff - uh oh maybe its a phrase: Reproducition C16th Accessories...........At the last fair a friend let me use her not wanted any more table and I spread out. I was wondering if I would sell more if the stuff was easier to see. I can't say the results were spectacular but I'm going to try having two tables next time.......
                      So, apart from the idea of offering the fair organiser a choice - which I like - I would say divide your table up and have the toys, bags etc in clearly delineated areas or.....have two tables - one with children's things and one with adults.
                      AnnieAnna
                      PS The offering a choice idea might be the one because the organiser might say "Oh I can't choose. Bring the lot!"

Comment

Thankyou all so much for your comments.
                        Jane - I had wondered whether that would be an issue ... bit annoyed to find it most likely would be but totally understand why.
                        Cynthia - Yes, I know what you mean and that wasn't rambley at all ... you should read some of my posts!
                        Craftdancer - Great idea, I could watch one stall and hubby the other for the fairs that don't want me 'multi-materialling'
                        www.belovedly.co.uk
                        www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

Anna - Fantastic ideas thankyou.
                          I have also got a name in mind which covers my 'multi-material/itemness'. I was thinking of 'Beloved Things' (please don't anyone nick it! ... Not that I'm suggesting anyone would!) Beloved is something to do with my surname in a round about way and so would be quite appropriate.

A couple of people I've spoken to says it makes them think of funerals ...I'd be interested in opinions on that.
                          www.belovedly.co.uk
                          www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

No it doesnt make me think of funerals!! what a horrible thing to say!

Beloved == well loved

Whats maudlin about that?

I think its a great name.
                            www.dancingphoenixcrafts.co.uk

Comment

Doesn't remind me of funerals either!! Sounds fine.
                              Cynthia
                              http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X