no crafters in London + "markets and fairs"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no crafters in London + "markets and fairs"

Is it me or it seems that there are more things going on about crafts outside of London than in London? thoughts on this please, I think it's just me feeling a bit lost!!

Also I know it seems silly to ask - but I would like your thoughts on the differents between markets and fairs - because I want to organize regular events selling arts and crafts of all kinds: fashion, clothes, handbags & jewellery, house accessories, decorations, frames, giftware, prints & paintings, handmade natural products with a special focus on original and recycled products of all kinds. I have a very nice spot in South London off a busy high street and would like regular crafters to come and show/sell their crafts.................... is it just that a market is a regular thing and fairs are bigger events - or am i missing something?

and... !! there's a new website online where you can see the location of the market/fair in south london, look at some pictures and if you fancy trying the market you can also book online - can i post it yet or I still can't do it??

Mod advice - 25 posts......................it's always worth having a quick look at the rules.
    Last edited by Peter; 07-03-2009, 11:16 AM.

Hi

I stand at all types of events, all are regulated in differing ways - but generally -

Markets, are usually held every week on the same day - each trader has a pitch, they have to turn up every week to keep their pitch and often have to pay for it up to 3 months in advance. casual traders are allowed if there is a space or if regular trader is away - some traders buy their pitch for £1000s.

Farmers Markets usually held monthly, producers have to apply, many are regulated by Farma, meaning products have to have been produced within a certain radius and contain a certain % of local ingredients. Those that are not Farma, still have a criteria, some will allow crafts, but not many.

Craft fairs are one off events usually.

HTH

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by alewithjam View Post
      Mod advice - 25 posts......................it's always worth having a quick look at the rules.
      OK thanks I may be almost there!!

Comment

I agree that there is not much in London.

I am always looking for future craft fairs/markets around the North London area.
        http://www.raicreationdesigns.com/
        http://raicreations.blogspot.com/
        http://twitter.com/raicreations
        http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?...3015937&ref=ts

Comment

I'm a crafter in London

Hi,

I'm based in London. I'm a henna artist. Aside from using henna for body art I use it to decorate picture / mirror frames and fabric i.e for cusions and clothing. I also make wirework, semi-precious gem and crystal jewellery.

So, if you're ever in need for a crafter in London - feel free to get in touch.

Kiran.

Comment

i agree that there seems to be more going on outside of london than in. but i'd love to hear more about your spot in south london as that is closer to my neck of the woods
            http://www.moxiebeauty.com

Comment

I was at Abbey mills Colliers wood at the weekend and it seems to be picking up again, they have just opened some rather nice little shops there and the indoor craft market looked quite busy but they could do with some more craft stalls outside, thinking about setting up a stall there myself selling hand made cushions, tote bags etc..

Comment

There isn't much in the way of craft things happening at all in this area. It all seems to be north of the midlands and West of Southampton.

I live in South East Essex and would be interested in fairs or maybe even markets where I can sell my jewellery. So please feel free to contact me with your site.

Faye
                www.occasions-accessories.co.uk
                Facebook Group

Handmade Occasion Jewellery, Bridal Accessories and Head wear. Semi Precious Gemstones, Swarovski Crystal & Sterling Silver. Bespoke service available.

Comment

SHOP * WATCH * MUNCH * PLAY

Stalls Available - Designers, Artists, Performance, Craft & Culinary genius! Every Saturday London E8

Netil Market is the market of Netil House, the East London Creative hub of studios, galleries, cafes, clubs and more. 

Neighbor to the popular Broadway Market, Netil Market is the new hotspot to up and coming creative talent. Every week we have a variety of stalls offering spe******t vintage, art, craft, food, furniture, Jewellery and miscellaneous. There is a heated chill out space and a gallery area for art and performance. 

We are looking to expand the market and create a busy, fresh events space. If you are an established trader or have a new, exciting venture please get in touch. 

The stalls are 8ft x 4ft with tabletops and tarpaulin covers. We put them up and take them down and you pay £25 on the day.

Trading hours are Saturday 11am - 6pm and you can set up from 10am. In the future we may also run the market on Sundays.

The market is great platform for designers, crafts people and artists to sell and show off your work.

Please get in touch for more info... [email protected]

Comment

There is very little in London it seems and what there is seems to be mainly south of the river...and harder to get to form here than venues outside the north M25 area. Cross London traffic is a nightmare and even early on a Sunday morning it took almost 2 hours to get to Merton Abbey Mills.

I am always on the lookout for local fairs...North of the River. If there were enough people interested I would even consider hunting out a venue and hosting an event

Comment

We too have found less events in the South/South East and events that were on before have now stopped, or not genuine handmade just include bought in, franchises such as Phoenix Trading etc. Which is why Jill (JKS) and I started our own event this year in May in Surrey but we are finding there are very few genuine handcrafters out there our aim is to have approx 12 stalls all different crafts, not multi craft stalls, crafters dabbling in a bit of everything, not overlapping unless necessary but so many card makers, jewellers and now textilers that it is getting difficult to find all the talented artists out there.

Comment

Fairs will pull in people who are looking for just what you are selling. An example would be wedding fairs. Unless you own a business in that trade or happen to be getting married, or are going on someone else's behalf you are not going to go out of your way to make a trip there are you? But the right fair and you can get a steady customer base from it. Plus always good for publicity. I have never done one with my own wares (yet) but helped a friend out with his and it was a great day!

Markets are good for picking up regular trade when in one place. But it can cost an arm and a leg depending on where you want to pitch. Also, if you happen to be in the jewellery side of the craft, you can struggle to get in as it is a practice that so many of us do. That said try Greenwich Market. They have a trial day and if you fit the bill you are charged £50 for Saturday and £60 for the Sunday to pitch there (I think, lol). That said there is no guarantee you will get in. Try Spitalfields Market (don't know how much they charge), Jubilee at Covent Garden, Petticoat lane, Roman Rd, Camden (though your pitch here will be poorly situated until you start a good rep with the managers here).

But like yourself I would love something closer to home that didn't cost so much money!
                        Kat
                        http://with-u-in-mind.blogspot.com/
                        http://www.folksy.com/shops/WithUinMind
                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/With-U-in-Mind

Comment

Originally posted by alewithjam View Post
                          Is it me or it seems that there are more things going on about crafts outside of London than in London? thoughts on this please, I think it's just me feeling a bit lost!!

Also I know it seems silly to ask - but I would like your thoughts on the differents between markets and fairs - because I want to organize regular events selling arts and crafts of all kinds: fashion, clothes, handbags & jewellery, house accessories, decorations, frames, giftware, prints & paintings, handmade natural products with a special focus on original and recycled products of all kinds. I have a very nice spot in South London off a busy high street and would like regular crafters to come and show/sell their crafts.................... is it just that a market is a regular thing and fairs are bigger events - or am i missing something?

and... !! there's a new website online where you can see the location of the market/fair in south london, look at some pictures and if you fancy trying the market you can also book online - can i post it yet or I still can't do it??

I am still looking for somewhere where I can have a stall regularly...not necessarily every week, but every month would be ideal for me....where is your spot in South London? I make mainly Shetland Lace scarves and shawls, and I also make crochet flower brooches. I use Shetland wool, or Manos del Uruguay wool/silk blend...I would be really interested to hear back from you.
                          My e-mail address is
                          [email protected]

My name is Jane Ennis.

Comment

Originally posted by raicreations View Post
                            I agree that there is not much in London.

I am always looking for future craft fairs/markets around the North London area.
                            ME TOO!!! I have done a stall occasionally at HAMPSTEAD COMMUNITY CENTRE, but so far have never even made enough to cover the rent for the stall!

I'm in the process of applying to do a stall at Covent Garden Market, I have to submit a CD of my designs, which I am in the process of compiling.

Comment

I am interested in a North of the river craft fair, but more North than East or North East. If you host an event, please get in touch with me.
                              B.

Bénédicte
                              www.vividblossom.com

www.vimeo.com/17225478

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vivid-...58046584242009

Comment

Working...
                              X