EXHIBITING AT CRAFT FAIRS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXHIBITING AT CRAFT FAIRS.

HI FOLKS I am planning to start doing craft fairs in the next few months.

I know that before I do a craft fair, that I have to have public liability insurance, but do I also need any sort of licence, similar to the street traders.

I ask the question, as I recently read an article which stated that for a small craft fair the exhibitors needed a licence (£10 for one day was quoted), as the venue was within a certain distance of a street market.
    I have not heard of this, and wondered whether this is widespread.

Can any expert out there clarify this.

cheers
    JOHN www.jbwoodcraft.speedy.uk.net

Hi John,

This "licence" may be down to the venue concerned for the event and the proximity of the street traders, and maybe even what is being sold at the event.

I think it's fair to say that different councils do things differently, each having their own rules. The best thing would be to contact the organiser of your chosen event directly and ask them what their requirements are.

I am no expert but I have organised a couple of events and this is the first I have heard of this. Maybe I've just been lucky!

Don't let it put you off!
    Good luck with your stall.

Regards.
    John.
    www.your-craft-fairs.co.uk

Comment

HI JOHN Many thanks for the information.

The comment I read was in relation to a single council, so maybe it was just an odd one.
      It was something I had not heard of before.

On a different note, your craft fair in CONGLETON on the 26th looks interesting. Hope you have a successful day.

regards

Comment

Hello John,
        Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of craft!

I have not heard of exhibitors requiring single licences or PLI for events and again, may be specific to each council. I think this is aimed more at street markets as venues and organisers usually have their own, which may or may not cover you.

Do a search on the net for event insurance and you will find some competative quotes for yearly insurance for all eventualities, including PLI, theft of stock and cancellation. Look in the popular craft mags and the Craftsman Magazine (www.craftsman-online.co.uk - I think) who regularly advertise insurance companies who spe******e in this. I used to get event and exhibitor insurance through one of the comoanies advertised and it was very competative.

I hope this has helped and good luck with your endeavours.
        Craft-Link UK
        The Art of Selling Your Craft - The essential read for craft workers!
        Help, guidance and advice on how to make the most selling craft for profit - and getting it right!

Craft-Link UK - www.craftlink.co.uk
        Encouraging Creativity

Comment

hi all

i'm dragging this topic up again as i'm interested in selling arts/crafts at greenwich, but they require proof of PLI (public liability insurance).

does anyone know what this is likely to cost?

thank you

Comment

HI I got my craft fair insurance with a company called G M IMBER. Its the craft starter pack, which costs just ove 50 pound per year. It seems to cover everything you might need to get started.

If you obtain a copy of the CRAFTSMAN magazine, you will find their advert and details

cheers
            JOHN www.jbwoodcraft.co.uk

Comment

hi John

that's really helpful, thank you so much

ben

Comment

If you have a business bank account, you may find your bank to be a good source of basic insurance - they often do homeworker's policies, which may be appropriate for many small businesses.
                Regards
                Vikki
                www.capturethemagic.biz
                FREE P&P ALWAYS

Comment

Re: EXHIBITING AT CRAFT FAIRS.

I've just recently come across this regarding the council, in my case it's for the Burntisland Highland Games which is run by the local council. My costs are £60 for trading space and a further £15 for street traders licence. Apart from this I've never come across it before.

Originally posted by JABBY
                  HI FOLKS I am planning to start doing craft fairs in the next few months.

I know that before I do a craft fair, that I have to have public liability insurance, but do I also need any sort of licence, similar to the street traders.

I ask the question, as I recently read an article which stated that for a small craft fair the exhibitors needed a licence (£10 for one day was quoted), as the venue was within a certain distance of a street market.
                  I have not heard of this, and wondered whether this is widespread.

Can any expert out there clarify this.

cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X