Clear All

• How easy is it

to get into a craft fair?

Thanks
    Jane
    For his hat was a hundred and two feet wide,
    With ribbons and bibbons on every side

Hi Jane,
    I have to admit I have only done one craft fair, and that was ages ago! There are plenty of people on this site that will be able to tell you all about how to find them and what to do. I will bump your post to keep it at the top!
    Good luck
    Anice x
    Last edited by Funkyhand; 21-11-2006, 10:21 AM. Reason: Bad Spelling!!
    Funkyhand x
    my website
    http://www.funkyhand.com
    my blog (updated 09/06/10)
    http://funkyhand.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on Twitter
    http://twitter.com/funkyhand

Comment

Thanks

I remember doing one a while back too but that was through the local cancer research charity of which my mother was a committee member so it doesn't count really lol

Jane

Comment

Quite difficult with jewellery, everybody's doing it! The only way in is to try every fair you think you can get to, but be warned, they ain't what they used to be, you're lucky if you get your stall rent back these days! BTW welcome - I'm the cynical one!

Comment

I make natural soaps and bath products and this has been my first year of attending fairs and events and although I was really apprehensive to begin with, I have really enjoyed them. I think the most difficult thing is finding good organisers who care about the quality of the goods rather than just filling stalls to make a quick profit!!

I agree with the previous comments that jewellery is difficult to sell as I have come across lots of people who are just buying it in cheap from abroad and if you make your own it is impossible to compete with their prices.

My advice is to give it a go, I'm glad I did
          www.purethoughts.co.uk
          Natural soaps and skincare, handmade from beginning to end...

Pure Thoughts Newsletter - Free samples for 50 new subscribers every month

Comment

I'm fairly cynical too

Jane

Comment

Craft Fairs - Closed Circles

I really want to try a craft fair not just for the dosh but also to get some feed back on my jewellery - see if it will attract people or will they just walk past, hear peoples comments etc. Finding a fair in advance has been difficult. However I did learn of one locally for the middle of Dec. and was told that there was stalls still available but when I contacted the organiser, who also apparently makes jewellery, she wasn't prepared to let me have a stall.!!!!!!!!
              Bee1

Comment

That tends to happen quite a lot! I haven't actually done a craft fair yet but have contacted a few organisers and they weren't interested because they already had card stalls. It tends to happen more with the 'popular' crafts like cards and jewelry.
                Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
                My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
                My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

HI JANE I did craft fairs throughout the last year. I found it fairly easy to get in, especially as i was prepared to do them regularly. It does seem to be much harder for the crafters who do cards or jewellery, as there are a lot of people doing this type of crafting. One of the organisers i went with last year actually said that he could fill the hall 3 times over just with cards.

As the others have said, do not look to make a massive profit from them, as i considered myself lucky to have covered my costs on most of the fairs i did. That said, the feedback you get from listening to people as they either look at your stall, or just walking past, is immense. You will also find that the other crafters are very friendly, and will always offer advice.

Although i did not make a huge profit out of doing the craft fairs, i found them all to be hugely enjoyable.

look for craft fairs which are fairly local, as that reduces your costs.

best of luck
                  regards
                  john www.jbwoodcraft.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by JABBY View Post

You will also find that the other crafters are very friendly, and will always offer advice.

Although i did not make a huge profit out of doing the craft fairs, i found them all to be hugely enjoyable.
                    I think that's the best bit about doing craft fairs - the other stall holders, we've made some really good contacts and friends too through them.
                    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I'm new to the craft forum, so a big HI1 to everyone.

Jane,

I've done several craft fairs, at varying times of the year, and I loved it. There were some fairs at which I didn't make many sales, but I discovered that the organisers hadn't advertised the events properly, or in one case, at all.

Even though I made very few sales at those fairs, I have made lots of like-minded friends and received loads of helpful advice so the days weren't completely wasted!

I'm thinking about organising my own craft fair for Summer 2007 now, as my husband told me to stop complaining about the bad fairs and put my money where my mouth is! It's very daunting though.....

Overall, I would say go for it! The experience can be invaluable. And if you have a bad fair, there will be other experienced crafters who can tell you what the tried & tested good ones are!

Best of Luck!
                      Apple Tree Crafts
                      www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

It is better for visiting customers not to see loads of the same thing. I gues the problem is finding one that doesn't already have a resident trader in your particular craft. Perhaps you need to look for one thats just starting out.

Comment

I'm thinking about organising my own craft fair for Summer 2007 now, as my husband told me to stop complaining about the bad fairs and put my money where my mouth is! It's very daunting though.....
                          thats exactly what my wife said to me, this March sees me take the plunge with

Stafford Spring Garden Show
                          website address is above with no spaces then .co.uk
                          huge area available for crafts/art. All indoor, onsite catering, easy access from M6 junction 14

any queriesplease email me at [email protected]

Shaun

Comment

Working...
                          X