trade show help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trade show help

Hello I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise?

I make handmade, handprinted fabric photo frames in various sizes and styles with matching mirrors and trinkett boxes.

I've been invited to attend a trade show which is really exciting as I may get my product into some shops all going well, as up till now I've only ever been to craft fairs.

I am though not sure how to approach a few things so would like some friendly avise from anyone with any knowledge of how trade fairs work.

Pricing of my product I am ok with I have been told that the norm is to divide the price of your product by 2.35 to reach a trade price. What I don't know are the following

What would a suitabe order size be
    What should a minimum order be
    What kind of deposit should I take
    How long is a ok amount of time for delivery

Thank you

Hi

I have just come in from a Trade Show at the NEC, as a customer not an exhibitor, I do go to 3-4 a year.

Whilst it would be great to take orders on the day, it is unlikely.
    Have plenty of brochures/flyers & business cards.

Most stalls I visit ask for my business card, I know that in a week or so I shall get loads of emails from these companies asking if they can help me in any way etc. This is a good idea - it helps keep the companies in my mind.

Some gave us prices lists with "special offer deals" like 10% off all orders place before end of February or similar.

I have come home with loads of printed carrier/jute bags, pens, chocolate
    brochures which I am now going to sift through.

hth

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

thankyou for your insight as to what a customer looks for, something to bear in mind

Comment

Hi

I have already had 3 emails from companies I visited today.

One thing I did note - from proactive companies - when I approached them - they took my card - stapled it to a form and then filled in my queries/needs.

Their emails showed they had listened to me.

hth

Jane
        www.just-soaps.com
        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Hi just a thought but I think you should consider how long it takes to make each item times that by how many you want to make in one go then use that as a guide to quantites they can order and delivery times.
          If say it takes 3 hours for 1 A4 frame size and someone orders 6 then delivery can be 1 week to posting out. if you make 1 a day.

make sense?
          Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

thanx again for your help

Comment

Hi Beautifulthoughts,

I've exhibited at a trade show with a past business, in answer to your questions:

What would a suitabe order size be
              This is whatever you want it to be, make sure the order is large enough to make it worth your while but small enough to appeal to customers to spend with you. The min order qty usually is based on the wholesale price, larger price = smaller qty per style / item. What price are your items, if you dont want to say then if you give an idea say, under £20. Also how many products / styles / colours do you have on offer, if you only have a few (10) as opposed (100) then you can see how its easier to say 4-6 x each.

What should a minimum order be
              As above whatever you want. Most wholesalers will have a min order. Put yourself in the shoes of the buyer, they want to be able to stock the best variety and mix of products so if you set a min order at £500 you need to have lots of SKU's for them to select from. If you only have a few SKU's then set it low. I would also advise setting low simply to get customers on your books. What's low? That depends again on your price.

What kind of deposit should I take
              Up to you, how you run payment, if you offer 30day account or pro-forma. As a small business I only ever offered pro-forma. Many say first 1-3 orders are pro-forma and subsequent orders are on account subject to application pass. I could not be bothered with it so if you want less hassel and have a low min order you can ask for pro-forma.

How long is a ok amount of time for delivery
              Most retailers will accept a longer time for handmade goods but remember the golden rule, underpromise, overdeliver. Never push yourself as you don't want quality to suffer. So long as you are up front with delivery / lead times I'd try to keep it no more than 3 weeks but pref 10-14days.

If you want to add more info I can give more specifics or feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
              Belinda
              Last edited by MiaBelleJewellery; 14-02-2009, 01:27 AM.
              Mia Belle Jewellery on:
              Etsy - Misi - Coriandr
              Blog - Twitter

I also run:
              www.shophandmade.co.uk - UK only handmade directory, list yourself for free now.

Comment

Thanx to all who gave their advice.

We have just returned from the trade show and are pleased to say what a success it was. We have taken orders and have now broken into the big new world of retail.

Thanx again

Comment

Well done - glad it went well

Now don't forget to follow up all those leads

Leads are like fish, they go off very quickly

Jane
                  www.just-soaps.com
                  Twitter JUSTSOAPS

Comment

Glad it went well. Well done.
                    Cynthia
                    http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Good luck with everything and well done
                      Sarah

Comment

Working...
                      X