No announcement yet.

Starting a Craft Fair (Gloucestershire)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a Craft Fair (Gloucestershire)

Hi there, im new to this forum, in fact ive just come accros it today. Basically ive noticed that there arent many craft fairs around gloucester. Ive decided i would like to start my own craft fair with proper crafters attending who actually make there own products. Ive been planning on how, and when, i am going to start my first event. Unfortunatley i have been finding it hard to find a venue where i can hold the event in gloucestershire and i was wondering if anyone had any advice on where i could hold the fair. I would like to have around 50 - 100 exibitors. Also does anyone have any advice on how to start your first craft fair, and the best time to do it. I will be looking for exibitors in the very near future, so if any one is interested in taking part please do not hesitate to contact me. I dont know whether to mention that im only 16 so i dont have much experience in this sector.

Many Thanks
    Elliot Meads
    Hello. Your Course Search is the website that helps you find things to learn near you.
    From Photography to Upholstery & Jewellery Making to Bread Baking, there’s a Course to inspire everyone.
    YourCourseSearch.com - coming soon

Hi Elliot, welcome to the site.

I think its great that you are so thoughtful and ambitious but perhaps you could start off a bit smaller? I'd start by getting involved as a stall holder first and do some research about what goes well in your area then I'd think about a small fair in maybe a community centre or church hall and see where you go from there?

A fair at the size you are talking about could involve thousands of pounds which often you will have to come up with before you even see any coming back to you, and if your venture doesnt work you'll be left with the bill.

You'd also have to investigate how much insurance for such a venture would cost you? Insurance companies are notoriously narrowminded about age.

If you are still interested in the idea have a look at some of the other threads here for ideas on further steps.
    www.dancingphoenixcrafts.co.uk

Comment

Good advice from Kysanth. I would check the insurance side of things first, I'm not sure if you would get insurance being under 18 but I could be wrong. Also start small and build up, most community centres or church halls have a fairly low charge for their halls and you could probably get between 10-20 stalls in. Think about the cost of all your outlay, advertising is a MUST, you cannot skimp on that or your crafters will be after you! As Kysanth says there are other threads on here where we have all given advice to other members in your position. Check them out too.

Most of all to the forum and good luck with your venture

PS good for you for having such a mature outlook at such a young age, something to be proud of.
      Diane
      Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

thank you for the compliments

Comment

Hi, thanks for the quick reply
          I really appreciate your advice and i have taken it in to consideration to start a bit smaller first. I think i will start one in a village hall next to a busy main road in Westbury on Severn in Gloucestershire. If anyone is interested in exibiting, please do not hesitate to contact me, i will look forward to seeing you. I think it should be taking place on easter monday. I will keep you updated. Once again thank you.

Elliot Meads
          Hello. Your Course Search is the website that helps you find things to learn near you.
          From Photography to Upholstery & Jewellery Making to Bread Baking, there’s a Course to inspire everyone.
          YourCourseSearch.com - coming soon

Comment

Sadly, I don't have anything to sell, but I'll put the date in my diary for a visit - I only live a bit further down the A48

Good luck!
            "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
            Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
            http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by EJMedia View Post
              Hi, thanks for the quick reply
              I really appreciate your advice and i have taken it in to consideration to start a bit smaller first. I think i will start one in a village hall next to a busy main road in Westbury on Severn in Gloucestershire. If anyone is interested in exibiting, please do not hesitate to contact me, i will look forward to seeing you. I think it should be taking place on easter monday. I will keep you updated. Once again thank you.

Elliot Meads
              no problem elliot - glad to be able to help

Comment

Go for it! but at 16 I think you will struggle to get the insurance side sorted. The way round that is to get a photocopy of every crafters PL insurance in advance. Any hall you rent should by law have basic cover, but will want to check your side of it. And if a crafter cant provide a certificate, then their off the list

Comment

Working...
                X