crazy customers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazy customers!

I had a lady come to my stall very early on in the day yesterday saying she liked this one necklace in particular, but wanted a different colour. I got my beads out and said any of these take your fancy? Well she went through and picked about 6 quite fancy/expensive beads (which were not anything like those on the necklace she picked up!), then asked me to make it a bit longer, which I agreed to do. I said it should take me an hour or two to make, as it was quite simple, and asked her to come back later on. TEN MINUTES later she was back, my friend very politely told her to come back in an hour, so she came back in another ten minutes, and then another, and then hung around watching me till it was finished, which made me soooooooo nervous and I kept dropping beads. Then she saw another necklace that was on my stall that had a ribbon bow tied round it, she asked if I could do that on hers, I said i only have pink and blue and black ribbon (the colours she had on the necklace at the moment were dark purple, lilac, grey, green, blue and black), so she sed Ill have the pink! So i ended up making, what is possibly the worlds most hideous neckalce, and then she wanted to pay £5 for it, coz thats what the orriginal neckalce cost! The orrriginal necklace was a couple of seed beads and a pendant, nothing like the one we ended up with! I explained id have to charge a bit more as we used a lot more beads etc. and she sed oh well i dont want it then! Well there was no way anyone else would buy it, so i had no choice but to sell it to her for that price! aaaaaaaaagghhh! Sorry for the rant im still shaking my head in disbeleif!
    I like to make things - usually a mess!
    Please look at my stuff and let me know what you think!
    http://elephantfrills.blogspot.com/

Some people, I am so sorry you had this experience and very good to sell her the new necklace for the same price, I am afraid I would have said no problem I will undo and use again.

She obviously has no appreciation of the work that goes into making something, Hope it did not ruin your day to much.

Comment

Some people can be so horrible, she knew exactly what she was doing!
      Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

what a tight lady she sounds. When this happeens to me i always agree a price before the customer leaves, before i make it. Then just have to hope they come back.

Comment

Cheeky and impatient woman!!
          https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Blooming cheek!!!

What is it with some people when they want to pay next to nothing!!!

Have to admit that with my type of work I don't have too much to moan about customer wise but I have had the odd one or two that have asked for something and when I've changed it they really dont' want it that way after all!

Example one bride said she really loved her shoes and could I do the figurines sitting down (to sit on the side of the cake) and show her shoes off - which I did, but she then complained that it was showing too much leg!!!! Only showed halfway up her shin...............

Most of the time its hairstyles as they are not sure what style they are going to go for until about 2 weeks before the wedding......had one woman with lovely long hair down to her waist and she changed her mind 4 times having it up, down, up then down again.....in the end it was settled on her hair being down and swept to hang down the front reaching her waist - looks lovely as well but when she sent me photo's of her day she had decided to put her hair up!!!

tsk tsk tsk!
            Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

So i ended up making, what is possibly the worlds most hideous necklace
              This is the problem with these wannabe designers, they haven't got a clue most of the time.
              What a cheek though to expect you to take an hour to make a necklace she was only prepared to pay £5 for. I hope you had enough money left to buy the peanuts she was paying you.
              I had a woman today who started off with 'I want some xmas earrings to wear to work but you haven't got any'
              I showed her a pair with beaded holly leaves and some with beaded angels but she didn't like them, so I offered to make some shaped ones with wire, xmas trees, stars angels etc. She said ' Well, I don't know really I just want some xmas earrings for work' I tried again 'what sort of thing are you looking for?' and got 'I don't know, never mind' and she walked off.
              We could make more money without these sort of customers
              Melanie

Comment

thanks for all your support, its not realy a big deal I still had a great day, but its still a bit annoying! I try not to let stuff like that get me down! Still made £30! Best takings ever! We actually put the prices up half way through the day! I usually would have given her a business card so she could tell her friends, but I thought better not.... dont want to be assoicated with it!

Comment

how much did your stall cost lauralou? surely at £30 sales that wouldnt cover your stall/travelling/food/personal costs? But maybe it did, well done for best sales ever.

Comment

well done you on your best day ever. I had my best fair day yesterday, today there were more peeps around but not many were spending. so only took half of yesterdays, but still a great weekend.
                    Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Well done on your stall! What a cheeky woman - I know its hard but you just have to agree prices beforehand and don't let people rip you off. You know that minimum wage is £5.73 an hour so if it took you an hour to make then you factor in your material costs etc and then you sold it for £5 then you were providing skilled work for next to nothing! Next time someone moans ask them if they'd work for that little!?!

I had a lady moan that my xmas cards (which are only £1 each!!) were too pricey yesterday and said they should be 3 for a pound!!! I must admit a was having such a bad day with all my stock in the pouring rain and ankle deep mud that I very grumpily told her to go off and try to make her own for that price! And then today someone moaned that my framed artwork for only £8 should be £1!!!!! As if they could even buy the frame for that!!! I think some people just don't think about all the effort and skill that goes into craftwork....

portfolio: www.suzielda.co.uk

buy online: www.mooart.com

Comment

Oh also I forgot to say - don't ever do any work for anyone (strangers i.e. stall customers you don't know etc) without taking a deposit. if they are getting a piece made specially for them that you don't think you can sell elsewhere then get enough of a deposit (and make sure they understand it is non-refundable) to cover your material costs in case they come back and dislike it so you are not out of pocket. also it gets the difficult pricing negotiations out of the way earlier. Give them a receipt with details of what you have agreed plus price and deposit and keep a copy for yourself. I'm only saying as I have also learnt from experience. Don't let the crazy woman get you down.

portfolio: www.suzielda.co.uk

buy online: www.mooart.com

Comment

the stall was £18, but it was my friends turn to pay, so technically it was free! It was only about 30 mins down the motorway and i took the car park costs out of that as well, so it truly was £30! Suppose I could make more waiting on, but this is more fun. I deffinetly will be negotiaing first next time! Ive learned that the hard way havnt I?

Comment

What a tight... cheeky... impatient... annoying lady she sounds. Its just unbelievable, some people can be so horrible, she actually did not know what she exactly wanted... What a messssssssssss!!!!
                            http://www.metalartcraft.com

Comment

ive had a similar experience. I make handmade teddy bears and a woman that does my virgin vie parties wanted a bear. I told her that they cost £15 and that this was a bargain considering they are completely hand stitched and the materials alone cost around £8. So she said that she would have one and as she is a friend I made her a handmade bag with the name of her choice stitched into it for free. I gave her it and she said that she wanted a discount as she gave me a discount for her products. This wasnt correct as I had to have three parties before I could get a discount off anything so I said that I couldnt and Im sure that someone else would have the bear. In the end she relented and said that she would pay £15. Needless to say I cancelled my next virgin vie party!

Comment

Working...
                              X