Ads

Collapse

This Has To Be The Best Craft Fair Result Ever!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Moonbeam Angel
    Super mega big crafter
    • Nov 2008

This Has To Be The Best Craft Fair Result Ever!!!

I have just come home from a craft fair held at a large secondary school in Thorpe-le-Soken. It was from 10am til 3pm, it cost £15 and I had to take my own table. They were charging 50p admittance

We were all scrunched up against one another as there was not enough room between tables (I think they had allowed 6ft by 3ft spaces and most tables are this long!)

Well, the weather was wet and windy but not as bad as some days. Apparently advertising was by A4 posters in some shops (I saw one), an advert in the local paper (but not in the whats on section) and on the local radio (although no-one had heard anything).

There were mixed stalls of crafts, bought in goods, second hand goods, charity stalls and the usual school tombola, raffle etc. (Even though this had been listed as a craft, antiques and collectables fair)

Well, the day went very slowly and every one ended up with near enough the same result on takings, although I did best of all.

Now wait for it.... my grand total for the whole day........big build up........imagine a drum roll please...............yes, you've probably guessed it.........

A BIG FAT ZERO,
    YES, NADA, ZILCH, NOTHING, NIL, NOWT
    I believe the best taken by anyone there was about £30 (that was from a customer who had come to pick up an order they placed at another fair and therefore doesnt count)

Can anybody beat that??????
    Diane
    Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

• debsjeans
    500+ Crafters Club
    • Nov 2008

Awwww here I thought you had a brill result and was ready to say congrats. Remember we Americans don't do sarcasim well.
    my blog: http://debsjeans.blogspot.com/

Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...ls/48962246861

my misi.me http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=879

Comment

• woodtattoos
      Super Moderator
      Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
      • Sep 2007

I've had some bad events before but I don't think I can top that one! I'm sure my lowest total ever taken was about £22 or so. What a shame, hope you aren't feeling too fed up. Time for a glass of wine and a mince pie perhaps?

Si.
      Wood Tattoos
      Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
      Facebook
      Flickr
      Twitter

Comment

• Moonbeam Angel
        Super mega big crafter
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by woodtattoos View Post
        I've had some bad events before but I don't think I can top that one! I'm sure my lowest total ever taken was about £22 or so. What a shame, hope you aren't feeling too fed up. Time for a glass of wine and a mince pie perhaps?

Si.

Thanks for that but unfortunately I don't drink and I ate all the mince pies yesterday.lol. However, I WILL NOT GIVE UP (at least I know it wasn't just me though)
        Diane

Comment

• debsjeans
          500+ Crafters Club
          • Nov 2008

Did anyone take a busisness card sometimes you may think it wasn't worth going out but getting your name out there is always good.
          my blog: http://debsjeans.blogspot.com/

Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...ls/48962246861

my misi.me http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=879

Comment

• Daryl Stocker
            Banned
            Moderate crafter
            • Nov 2008

Yep, I have to agree, business cards do work. We have had orders for photos up to a year after someone has picked one of our cards up at a fair. Also there is the chance that other fair organisers pick your cards up and will contact you. I do! That way I know I am getting the best crafts at my events. Sorry you didn't do well, but never mind, it's nearly Christmas.

Comment

• sunrise
              Mega Crafter
              • Aug 2008

I was the same just about to congratulate you on doing well until I read the end of your message oops
              my friend and I did a craft fair once I think it was about £35 for the table and we took about 80p !!! put me off doing any more really
              www.sunrisecards.co.uk
              http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...5877781?ref=ts
              http://www.facebook.com/pages/sunris...all&ref=search

Comment

• Moonbeam Angel
                Super mega big crafter
                • Nov 2008

Thanks for your replies, I'm glad I fooled some of you, it's made me laugh, or is that hysteria.

I do have business cards but I don't put them on the stall as I have found people take them but they end up on the floor outside, unfortunately I was only asked for my card once, by a fellow crafter who wants to email me her new address.

To be honest very few people came into the fair. I don't think it was advertised well at all.

Well there's always next year!!!
                Diane

Comment

• Peter
                  Super mega big crafter
                  • Jan 2006

When I used to do fairs......................about 10 years ago (yes, I have been there!) we had our first 'duck' after travelling up the A1 from Wakefield to Darlington. Soul destroying. Bloody waste of time.

Comment

• elzi
                    100+ crafts club
                    • Sep 2008

Awe, i'm so sorry that's terrible! I actually did that once - at my first ever craft fair - it was £15 a table and I didn't sell a thing all day so I know how you feel. Don't worry there are good days and bad days eh

I had an awful day today standing in the freezing cold pouring rain and deep mud not really selling anything at all but now I'm home and warm drinking a mug of tea and seriously thinking of skiving tomorrow's fair so life's not so bad...

portfolio: www.suzielda.co.uk

buy online: www.mooart.com

Comment

• Moonbeam Angel
                      Super mega big crafter
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by elzi View Post
                      Awe, i'm so sorry that's terrible! I actually did that once - at my first ever craft fair - it was £15 a table and I didn't sell a thing all day so I know how you feel. Don't worry there are good days and bad days eh

I had an awful day today standing in the freezing cold pouring rain and deep mud not really selling anything at all but now I'm home and warm drinking a mug of tea and seriously thinking of skiving tomorrow's fair so life's not so bad...

oh dear, at least I was inside out of the rain!! think I would scive off tomorrow aswell.

It's so nice to know I am not alone. It really boosts morale to see others have been there too.
                      Diane

Comment

• elzi
                        100+ crafts club
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Moonbeam Angel View Post

It's so nice to know I am not alone. It really boosts morale to see others have been there too.
                        yes - don't worry - on my second fair (after selling absolutely nothing all day the first time) I took over £200!! so good luck you'll be due tons of good sales in some future fair!

portfolio: www.suzielda.co.uk

buy online: www.mooart.com

Comment

• onlyme
                          Super crafter
                          • Jul 2008

I admire you for seeing the lighter side, it's not easy sometimes! Good karma will come your way soon (and now I'm sounding like a fortune teller, lol!)
                          Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

• urbtaf
                            Banned
                            500+ Crafters Club
                            • Apr 2008

moonbeam, I proud to say that I have had the same result a few times. And I will congratulate you because you stood back and worked out why, and the fault lay wholely with the supposed organizers.
                            What I dont get is that you all let them get away with it. I can remember at least 2 fairs where the orgaizers did not leave the venue untill at least part of the fee was returned.
                            I would also say you should name and shame to stop anybody else wasting money at one of their events

Comment

• craftyslb
                              So much more than a moderate crafter
                              • May 2008

Thats awful, I;ve not had a zero (yet) but last fair i did, me and a friend took £15.00 between us, it was soul destroying.
                              When I have a bad day, I think its my stuff, but then friend reminded me that we have both sold stuff at other fairs, to colleagues, etc, so not us, plus I don't think people are really spending? What are others thoughts? People were walking away from my stall because bracelets were £5.....

Hang in there, I'm sure your product is fantastic, keep going. And Happy Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                              X