last nights fair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• last nights fair

Yesterday afternoon I loaded the car and headed 8 miles down the road to the beautiful market town of Howden. I know this might sound reallly stupid, but I'd never been there before and as I was approaching it I though arrgghh I don't know where I'm going. Luckily I somehow arrived at the venue and doing a quick glance around, I realised the only place I could pull up was on the actual central square. It was double yellows!!!
    I asked a policeman if he'd ignore me for a few minutes and the nice man said ok. I dumped my boxes in the foyer and then drove around the corner to a carpark.
    The venue was large and I was one of the first to arrive. There were about 30 tables. I got set up pretty quickly and then got chatting to a lady who creates dichroic glass. Her work was amazing but sadly there is no online prescence so I can't share her with you.
    By 5, most of the stall holders were set up. The square had been cordoned off and a funfair set up. The shops all stayed open late and with a back drop of a ruined church lit up everything looked and sounded great.
    There were a lot of people all night and I'd been a little worried as we were all based upstairs, but needn't have worried at all there was a llift for the elderly and pushchairs etc.
    Takings were great and about half an hour in, when the satll next to me was still empty I was invited to use it. Offered half to the guy on the other side but he didn't need it. So 2 tables for the price of £10!
    Only downside is that my hand mirror walked. I was quite upset about that. I spent months choosing it and everyone admired it wherever I went. I could have sold it several times over last night but some wretch came along and took it. Now right oposite me were the community police support officers!! Someone has a brass neck!
    Anyway. I have enough stuff left for tomorrow's farmers market and it's already packed up and waiting so tday has been a lzy day!
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Sounds like it was a really nice event to have been involved in, and I'm glad the sales were good. What a shame about the mirror though! Someone is in for some bad karma for sure...

Si.
    Wood Tattoos
    Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
    Facebook
    Flickr
    Twitter

Comment

Well done BBD - its good to hear about a successful event. Shame about your mirror though but you know what they say, what goes round comes round. . . . .

GOD WILL GET THEM BACK!
      Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Glad you did well and shame about the mirror. Hope Rudolf leaves a steaming surprise in their stocking on Christmas morning!

Comment

Sounds like a great evening (apart from the loss of the mirror - what a nuisance). Hope you do as well at the farmer's market.
          Last edited by Ifor-Jones; 12-12-2008, 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling!!
          Cynthia
          http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Sounds brill, glad you had some good sales, it is nice to hear for a change in these, erm, can I make up a new word please?! Recessionistical times!!

Comment

Originally posted by woodtattoos View Post
              Sounds like it was a really nice event to have been involved in, and I'm glad the sales were good. What a shame about the mirror though! Someone is in for some bad karma for sure...

Si.
              If anyone tries to nick my lovely mirror that you made I would hunt them down and biff them!! Sue xx
              http://susieQinblogland.blogspot.com

Comment

Sounded like a lovely evening!!! Shame about the mirror though!! Sue xx
                http://susieQinblogland.blogspot.com

Comment

Glad you did well - but a real shame about the mirror!

(never thought of Howden as "beautiful" before - but then when you're waiting for the school bus on a cold, wet morning....)
                  ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                  website
                  blog

Comment

It sounds like an idylic day with your descriptions. But the mirror.....
                    My Granny always said "The will take the drippings off your nose if you blink" and sadly she was right.
                    Carol
                    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Its great to read you had such a wonderful fair last night, as I attended one where the high street was shut off and the whole town was set up for a night of Christmas Shopping with Carole Singers, Market Stalls etc..., but my evening was AWFUL!!!

The Centre that held our Craft Fayre Event is very professional indeed, so the stalls all looked great and there were about 40 of us, but the advertising for the event must have been zero as for the first two hours NO ONE turned up and all! The stall holders were getting very worried and then finally after two hours (with two still to go) people started drifting in, but the same comment kept being said "No-one knows your all in here!". All in all I sold goods worth £8.00.

Some of us approached the organisers and they assured us that they had advertised it, been on local radio etc... but I think the fundamental flaw they didn't do was have billboards or anyone out leafleting on the night to direct people our way, as we were slightly off the main high street so people really didn't know we were there.

Sadly this was my last fayre before Christmas and I was really looking forward to it!!
                      www.maygreen-fairies.co.uk
                      www.maygreen-fairies.blogspot.com
                      www.facebook.com/maygreenfairies
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/maygreenfairies

Comment

I think its such a shame when such lovely events are badly attended through lack of advertising. A similar thing has happened to me in the past so now I try to advertise the events I am attending myself. I have been known to do posters to put in shops ect, posted on websites such as Netmums, e mailed previous customers, even put ads in the free event listing section of local papers. You can never have too much publicity!
                        Caz

www.pearlsandwhirls.co.uk

www.pearlsandwhirls.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by SusieQ View Post
                          If anyone tries to nick my lovely mirror that you made I would hunt them down and biff them!! Sue xx
                          Good to know they are being well looked after!
                          Wood Tattoos
                          Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                          Facebook
                          Flickr
                          Twitter

Comment

Working...
                          X