Didn't even break even

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't even break even

Did my big fair today and barely took anything. I had anticipated at least £100 but no-one seemed to want to buy anything. The only things that sold were magnets and hair grips which are no more than £2.50.

The table was £47 so you can see how many magnets and hair grips I would have had to sell to make that back.

The jewellery didn't even get a look in - it was as if it was invisible.

Also, the organisers had stuck 3 jewellery makers right next to each other and another who sold bought in jewellery a couple of stalls down.

I'm so exhausted after this - I had a house move, started a new job and then this fair within the last month and I'm so glad it's over now. Gonna go have a bath and sleep for a week now.

But ah well - you win some you lose some.
    Yvonne
    x

My website: www.mymiyel.com
    My blog: www.mymiyel.blogspot.com

Sorry to hear you had a bad day, I guess we all just keep on trying. It can only get better but that is a lot to pay for a stall and not do much trade. Chin up! Selina

Comment

Sorry to hear it didn't go well for you but I think if you talk to the other rmembers there seems to be a lot of people not buying at Craft Fairs - don't take it personally the next one will be better.
      www.mycalicoheart.co.uk
      www.mycalicoheart.blogspot.com
      www.mycalicoheart.misi.co.uk
      www.mycalicoheart.folksy.com

Comment

Sorry you had a bad day
        Cathy xx
        http://folksy.com/shops/Cathy
        http://www.recycledbaglady.co.uk/
        http://owlfamilydiary.blogspot.com/
        I don't have a short attention span, I ... Ooh look, there's a chicken!

Comment

same thing happened to me at my last fair. Chin up, as the others said, it can only get better
          www.corrigancards.com

A mind is like a parachute........it only functions when open

Comment

Originally posted by Pagan View Post
            same thing happened to me at my last fair. Chin up, as the others said, it can only get better
            We can only hope! Been quite some time since I took £100 in one day, but I'm always an optimist at the beginning of the day, sad case that I am

Comment

Originally posted by bizzybee View Post
              We can only hope! Been quite some time since I took £100 in one day, but I'm always an optimist at the beginning of the day, sad case that I am
              I think it'll be a cold day in youknowwhere the day I take £100 at a craft fair lol, but we all live in hope
              www.corrigancards.com

A mind is like a parachute........it only functions when open

Comment

bad day at the fair

Hi it happens to us all unfortunately, am sorry to hear about your day. Sounds quite expensive to have a stall.

I never have luck nor at sales, and never seem to sell - everyone seems to miss my stall or be looking the other way!

I've spent over £100 taking up a hobby I love only to find nothing sell so am still out of pocket! most disheartening, but we keep going and live in hope.

Regards

Comment

Oh sorry to hear that you had an unlucky day - can't believe it as your stuff is lovely! Perhaps you may get some sales from it though, if people check out your online stuff after the fair.

knit sew crochet hop..........

my etsy shop www.cloudhopping.etsy.com

my folksy shop www.folksy.com/shops/cloudhopping

my musings www.cloudhoppingdesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Yvonne,

Was this your first fair? I'm guessing it was.

Thing is, there will be days like this ...and sadly they are getting more frequent as the dreaded 'credit crunch' takes effect. But the main thing is that you got out there and showcased your product, your business and yourself. So long as you handed out cards/flyers/info then you could still get some business out of the event.

Good luck with your next one!

Fair Do

Fair Do's!

Comment

Hi,
                      Sorry to hear about your bad day, but you still sound optirmistic which is good
                      We've had really good fairs and REALLY bad ones....sometimes depends on the time of year, the weather, the advertising, lots of factors I think...!!

Stay creative
                      Jode
                      x
                      To see our handmade bath and beauty productcs, all made with fair trade organic oils and butters, please click the link to our Etsy shop below:
                      http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5184519

Love & Bubbles
                      Jode
                      x

Comment

Originally posted by Fair Do View Post
                        Hi Yvonne,

Was this your first fair? I'm guessing it was.

Thing is, there will be days like this ...and sadly they are getting more frequent as the dreaded 'credit crunch' takes effect. But the main thing is that you got out there and showcased your product, your business and yourself. So long as you handed out cards/flyers/info then you could still get some business out of the event.

Good luck with your next one!

Fair Do
                        I totally agree with Fair Do. I am sorry you had a bad day, but they happen unfortunately. The same event two years running can be completely different. It is being out there and getting your name known, then people will get to recognise you and come back. Hope your next one is better, but don't be disheartened. Look at the money you paid out as your marketing costs.
                        Cynthia
                        http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Flyers and biz cards are key here..

My brother does alot of fairs and at least 50% of the income from a fair comes after the fair itself e.g. from people taking flyer/biz cards....

People don't need to think about spending less than £5 or even £10 but more than that many of use need to think.. So many people i've meet me included think after seeing something that i'd wished i'd bought it but have no way to find/buy the item...

Hope that helps.

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
                          (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

I know how you feel. I did a fair a few months ago, got told it was a LOT nearer to my house than it actually was (60 miles away!), finally got there to find the organiser wasnt there! We hung around a bit and she turned up an hour later than planned, and said all the signs adertising the place have been stolen, do we want to still do the fair? If we decide to cancel it we wont get our money back! Then, when we finally got in the building, there was 8 stalls, 4 selling cards, 3 selling jewellery and one selling crotched bags n things, and when someone pointed out that this was not a very good way to organise a fair, she said I dont regret it, I have to make money too! Neadless to say, no-one sold anything! Its so frustrating when things like that happen!
                            I like to make things - usually a mess!
                            Please look at my stuff and let me know what you think!
                            http://elephantfrills.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sorry that you did not sell your jewellery.....next time it will be different
                              http://www.westofscotlandcraftfairs.com

Comment

Working...
                              X