Craft fairs and online - GGRRRR!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craft fairs and online - GGRRRR!!!

How did everyone else do this week end? I'm so fed up! Went to a big show that I'd been looking forward to for ages, did loads of prep etc etc and it was such a waste of time! I was there for two days of hard slog and just about covered my table cost and made a tiny profit. Grrrr.

Am so fed up with it all!

Am deffo going to give up with fairs - feel like giving up all togeather but I can't. Just need a break and then I'll look at online stuff. but the problem with online stuff is a lot of my stuff is pocket money priced so even 20p a listing is a big chunk out of it. My own website should be up and running soon and I want to use places Etsy to drive traffic to it but how do I do that when you're not allowed to put your web details up I don't think - any ideas anyone?

Need help before I give up!!!

Sorry - rant over.
    Caroline

Diamond Ideas

http://www.diamondideas.co.uk/

http://twitter.com/DiamondIdeas01

Diamond Ideas is also on facebook!

Go on, add some sparkle to your project!

Booo, sorry to hear you're feeling down about selling your crafts. You must persevere, though, and try the online selling as this opens up a whole new world. Craft fairs are very hit and miss but you might reach a bigger audience on the web (that's what I'm hoping to do!!)

I think with etsy you can create a banner to advertise your business name and then if people like your things they can google your website to find it. I don't use etsy yet but I'm sure that other people on here will have more words of wisdom

Don't lose heart, just have a cup of tea and a biccie and think about your next window of opportunity

Helen x

Visit my blog!
    http://peggycrafts.blogspot.com/

www.peggycrafts.co.uk

Etsy shop:
    www.peggycrafts.etsy.com

Comment

Dont Give Up

Hi Caroline,

I am an organiser and not a craft maker (not nearly talented enough for that) but can tell you - as probably most people will on here - that it is tough for everyone at the moment but I have looked at your stuff on your website and think you shouldnt give up on fairs.

I really liked you crafts and should you ever wish to venture upto Nottingham I would happily look at trying to get you a stall on our Markets.

Sorry I know that wasnt what you were asking and it turned into a bit of a shameless plug but thought it worth mentioning.

Comment

AAAwwww. You poor thing! You've had a rotten weekend. Unfortunately I think this is the way things are going to be for a while with current credit crunch. People are being reminded every day that prices are rising etc etc, and some are anxious having spent money over holidays to keep children occupied due to bad weather spoiling possibilities of cheap family picnics etc. HOWEVER, despite doom and gloom, Christmas is never neglected and if you have pocket money type prices then you should still be able to make some sales. Any chance of you getting some friends/family to have a girly night in with you showing off some of your wares?
        Any offices etc nearby that could be a place to show off your stock to staff? In work everyone is always looking to save time through NOT having to go shopping! They are willing to buy unusual things not available elsewhere for gifts.
        There are just so many of us crafters about now...and all needing money.
        I hope some of this has been of some use. Big hugs sent.
        Txx

Comment

I was in the same boat at the weekend. I did a two day show and didn't sell one thing. Keep your chin up and keep going. Its a bit slow at the mo, but think on christmas is not that far away and people will always need to buy gifts. I had a moment of should i give it up but its something that i love doing and i've have only really started doing fairs this year. Things will look up.
          www.artbysusanjefferson.co.uk

Twitter @suecreative

Comment

I can't get sales online either - boo hoo, sniff!
            http://www.samigailsgifts.co.uk/
            Handmade personalised gifts for all occasions created by the art of pyrography
            My Facebook

Comment

Hi,

I have to agree with the general concensus here ...now is not the time to give up on fairs ...because if you're going to sell at only one time of the year ...it's Christmas! And you will have probably already put the hard work in developing your reputation throughout the year, so it seems a shame to waste it.

And yes, people do seem to find money from nowhere at Christmas. Thing is, many people do have money, it's just that they're keeping tight hold of it at the moment ...the trick is to make them want something so badly that they just have to buy it. If you can work out how to do that you won't need to worry about selling craft items ...you'll be a millionaire!!!

If you can hold out, maybe reconsider your options in Jan/Feb next year when fairs are at their quietest. Sorry, I know it's easy for me to say ...it is your decision.

For what it's worth I'm working on a new idea that may help crafters to generate sales via craft fairs and online! Sorry to tease, but I don't really want to elaborate just yet as I'm still considering how it will work ...best I can say is "watch this space".

Regards.
              Fair Do

Fair Do's!

Comment

that sounds exciting, fair do, I can't wait until you've finished thinking!!

Visit my blog!
                http://peggycrafts.blogspot.com/

www.peggycrafts.co.uk

Etsy shop:
                www.peggycrafts.etsy.com

Comment

Hi Caroline
                  Don't get down hearted, it is the same for all of us at present. I too am hoping that fair attendance will pick up for Christmas but with the news saying the economy has ground to a stand still I think we have to accept that things are going to be tough this year. I am doing cheaper items for fairs, mostly uner £5.00 hoping this will attract sales.

Have you tried an Open Evening at home plus do you blog, you can cross reference your site from there and it may help.

Comment

Fair do

You are a tease and now have us all waited with bated breath, how long until the next instalment?

Comment

Tell you what peggycrafts and caroleecrafts, I'll make a note that you are interested and drop you a PM when I have more definate plans.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread craftsensations!!!

Regards.
                      Fair Do

Fair Do's!

Comment

Sorry to hear that things haven't been going too well for you lately. But as everyone else says, now is not the time to throw the towel in.

Have you thought about doing a "normal" market stall now and again? The rents are pretty reasonable - in some cases a lot less than a craft fair. If your wares are pocket money items then try to get a stall on a Saturday when the kids (teenagers with money!) are around and looking to buy their christmas presents. Just ring up the local council and ask for details.
                        Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Please do not give up

I went to a craft fair on Bank Holiday Monday, i was disapointed that there was not more card craft items for sale, i have only just started card making so i thought visiting a craft fair would be a great way to get ideas and stock up.
                          I stocked up on Foiled christmas card and envelopes that was only 50p for a packet of 5, and some gorgeous christmas backing papers.The new Template designer was hidden away & i only spotted her the 2nd time i walked around I wish now i had bought more than one of her templates as the photographs made me make the card so easily and i really thought i would struggle.I understand that people who make the crafts want to sell them but i really thought that going to a craft fair there would be the opportunity to buy materials to make the crafts not just buy ready made up.This was only a small marquee and with 4-5 soap sellers 6-7 jewellry 3-4 picture and photograph sellers there was just no variety at all. I did end up buying 3 ready made cards from one couple so hopefully if and when i do visit another craft fair i might be able to collect the materials to make the cards up myself.
                          So please do not give up as people like me need you.

Comment

fair Do - could you PM me too when you have more info please?
                            http://www.samigailsgifts.co.uk/
                            Handmade personalised gifts for all occasions created by the art of pyrography
                            My Facebook

Comment

Will do. Thanks.

Fair Do

Fair Do's!

Comment

Working...
                              X